TRL Helpdesk - Hull

I've found myself on holiday in the East Riding, and very nice it is too. I thought tomorrow (Thursday), with the forecast looking a little grey, I might venture down to Kingston upon Hull for the day. I thought the Deep would be nice.

Any other TRL recommendations? I am here with my missus and our three year old, so more in the market for good things to point at rather than high culture.

Many thanks

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

It's a shame the maritime museum is closed for redevelopment at the moment or that would have been a fun place to go. I would recommend you have a wander down the museum quarter and go to Streetlife Museum and the East Riding Museum. They are next to each other along with the Wilberforce House but I don't suppose the latter there would be particularly interesting for a 3 year old.

Both the museums I recommend are free to enter. Streetlife is a recreation of an Edwardian Hull street complete with shops, houses, cars, trains, trams and many other things. You can go in all the buildings and vehicles and there is also a carriage you can go in with sound effects and movements and smells to help recreate a ride in one, assuming that's still functioning, I haven't been for years. 

The East Riding museum is a natural history museum and has lots of ancient creature's skeletons and displays and even a life-size Woolly Mammoth. A kid might like looking at that kind of thing. 

7 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I've found myself on holiday in the East Riding, and very nice it is too. I thought tomorrow (Thursday), with the forecast looking a little grey, I might venture down to Kingston upon Hull for the day. I thought the Deep would be nice.

Any other TRL recommendations? I am here with my missus and our three year old, so more in the market for good things to point at rather than high culture.

Many thanks

Our kids loved the Deep, although I think they were a bit older than three at the time. I think that took most of the day in the end, although I recall a wander round the Humber Bridge country park as well.

My advice is don't go to Hull.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 25/08/2021 at 09:50, Just Browny said:

Many thanks

Been away myself so only just seen your post. Would have loved to have offered some suggestions. Hope you had a good time in East Yorkshire.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 25/08/2021 at 12:38, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It's a shame the maritime museum is closed for redevelopment at the moment or that would have been a fun place to go. I would recommend you have a wander down the museum quarter and go to Streetlife Museum and the East Riding Museum. They are next to each other along with the Wilberforce House but I don't suppose the latter there would be particularly interesting for a 3 year old.

Both the museums I recommend are free to enter. Streetlife is a recreation of an Edwardian Hull street complete with shops, houses, cars, trains, trams and many other things. You can go in all the buildings and vehicles and there is also a carriage you can go in with sound effects and movements and smells to help recreate a ride in one, assuming that's still functioning, I haven't been for years. 

The East Riding museum is a natural history museum and has lots of ancient creature's skeletons and displays and even a life-size Woolly Mammoth. A kid might like looking at that kind of thing. 

The kraken tentacles sticking out of its windows and various other locations around the city were fun though. The human angler fish stalking the streets was a laugh too (especially when it made my mrs jump out of her skin). 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

16 minutes ago, Ullman said:

The kraken tentacles sticking out of its windows and various other locations around the city were fun though. The human angler fish stalking the streets was a laugh too (especially when it made my mrs jump out of her skin). 

Quite right, the tentacles were brilliant, kept winding up the family saying I was gonna buy a bunch of them and stick them out of our windows! 😂

17 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Quite right, the tentacles were brilliant, kept winding up the family saying I was gonna buy a bunch of them and stick them out of our windows! 😂

Loved the way they'd done the ones at the Spurn Lightship. Looked as if the kraken was taking her under.

2 hours ago, Ullman said:

Loved the way they'd done the ones at the Spurn Lightship. Looked as if the kraken was taking her under.

I never walked right down there but I should have done. I saw the ones at the museum, the Whitefriargate ones and Prinny Quay. Loved the ones on Whitefriargate which were coming out of the upstairs windows of the old M&S building and reaching right across the street so you were walking underneath them. 

Archived