Match Thread: Championship Round 19, Oldham v Featherstone Rovers Sunday-29th-August-2021

marklaspalmas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched Oldham's game against Toulouse. Oldham definitely looked to have stiffened their defence since McDermott's arrival and battled very well. However, they didn't offer much going forward and benefitted from Toulouse having a day like we've had once or twice this season in that they dropped the ball repeatedly - I'd say Toulouse were as bad as we have been on our worst days this season in terms of turning the ball over, Oldham deserve some credit for this but a lot of the mistakes came without any obvious pressure.

Think the key on Sunday (as ever) will be completing our sets, think they are a fair bit stronger now than when we played them earlier this season but as long as we don't invite them onto our line repeatedly we should be too strong for them again.

Surely if a player is registered with a team and goes on loan , that player cannot play against his parent club. 

It smacks of conflict of interest.

31 minutes ago, haskey said:

Surely if a player is registered with a team and goes on loan , that player cannot play against his parent club. 

It smacks of conflict of interest.

A player on loan is considered to be transferred (ie he is registered as a player for the borrowing club, not the parent) for the period of the loan

Well i went to the game

Dont think much to add - it was a game we was expected to win comfortably and so it proved.

Blew them away in the first 20 mins, admittidly lost our shape a bit and Oldham scored a good try before HT but then Ferguson skittled the Oldham defence on the first play of second half which we scored from then saw the game out comfortably - certainly dont remember Oldham having any glorious chances in the second half 

Think we got away with having no serious knocks, injuries etc & some key blokes who didnt play were rested up

All in all dont think Webster will be complaining too much - a satisfactory day had by all

Next week VS fax should be a cracker!

13 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Never known so few comments by this time on a Sunday. Are we all on holiday ?.......

Perhaps it was an uninspiring game? A game we expected to win easily, and did. No drama. No contentious decisions affecting the result. No barnies. Mostly unremarkable other than a good but expected win.

I enjoyed it. Nice company, and some good rugby chat with friends. Decent little ground in a leafy suburb. Had a pint of Guinness outside and a pie and chips inside.

Easy win, some good tries, Oldham better than they were last time we played them. 

Lovely drive over snake pass to get there. 

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

I enjoyed it. Nice company, and some good rugby chat with friends. Decent little ground in a leafy suburb. Had a pint of Guinness outside and a pie and chips inside.

Easy win, some good tries, Oldham better than they were last time we played them. 

Lovely drive over snake pass to get there. 

Hopefully not from Fev, otherwise you've gone a very scenic route.......

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Hopefully not from Fev, otherwise you've gone a very scenic route.......

I would have gone over The Snake from Sheffield however i was away this weekend.So that is the reason why i have not posted any comments about the game.Some may be glad that i have had a week off.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I would have gone over The Snake from Sheffield however i was away this weekend.So that is the reason why i have not posted any comments about the game.Some may be glad that i have had a week off.

Some ? Everyone lol 😆 ( only joking).

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

It was very scenic. About an hour 5 mins, door to door from Ackworth.

Oh aye. And I'm on about Woodhead pass, not Snake pass,  aren't I? 🤣🤣

Used to drive it both ways every other weekend when I was doing missionary work over t'other side of the pennines some 30 odd years ago. My aim was to try and not touch the brake pedal between the A629 roundabout (now gone) and Hollingworth! 

Probably in a minority of one but enjoyed watching the raw feed which is currently on RoversTV (ie only sound was that from the officials' mikes).

Two amusing things - one touch judge repeatedly telling the ref that Ferres was offside (must have been a dozen or more times), usally when the ball was right on the other side of the field,  and the ref getting increasingly exasperated with the TJ for doing so!

The second followed Chissy's sin binning when the pen was given to Fev as the first offence was Oldham's late tackle on him. The ref awarded the penalty on the 40m line, where the offence took place, and it's funny listening to the Fev players desperately trying to tell the ref that it should be awarded where the ball landed, with the ref telling them to hurry up to try and cover his mistake (I thought he had an ok game apart from that to be fair).

Strange game to watch in that you'd struggle to find anyone who  played especially well for us, yet we did score some excellent tries. Was good to see Springer playing big minutes and getting through lots of work, and Fergie has another game under his belt. Thought we missed Hall's ability to open the game up.

Our left-hand-side defence looked quite vulnerable in the first half, but we seemed much more solid defensively in the second half.

The usual nervous time today (Thursday) waiting for the disciplinary panel. The touch judge told the ref that Chisholm's incident was "at least a binning" but it was out of shot of the cameras so hopefully no further punishment will follow. The incident which was put on report near the end I think was for a high shot from Fergie so we'll have to see what happens with that. We still haven't heard anything about the alleged Parata biting incident from the Toulouse game which was apparently pending further investigation, hopefully no news is good news in that respect as it's now over a month ago.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Probably in a minority of one but enjoyed watching the raw feed which is currently on RoversTV (ie only sound was that from the officials' mikes).

Two amusing things - one touch judge repeatedly telling the ref that Ferres was offside (must have been a dozen or more times), usally when the ball was right on the other side of the field,  and the ref getting increasingly exasperated with the TJ for doing so!

The second followed Chissy's sin binning when the pen was given to Fev as the first offence was Oldham's late tackle on him. The ref awarded the penalty on the 40m line, where the offence took place, and it's funny listening to the Fev players desperately trying to tell the ref that it should be awarded where the ball landed, with the ref telling them to hurry up to try and cover his mistake (I thought he had an ok game apart from that to be fair).

Strange game to watch in that you'd struggle to find anyone who  played especially well for us, yet we did score some excellent tries. Was good to see Springer playing big minutes and getting through lots of work, and Fergie has another game under his belt. Thought we missed Hall's ability to open the game up.

Our left-hand-side defence looked quite vulnerable in the first half, but we seemed much more solid defensively in the second half.

The usual nervous time today (Thursday) waiting for the disciplinary panel. The touch judge told the ref that Chisholm's incident was "at least a binning" but it was out of shot of the cameras so hopefully no further punishment will follow. The incident which was put on report near the end I think was for a high shot from Fergie so we'll have to see what happens with that. We still haven't heard anything about the alleged Parata biting incident from the Toulouse game which was apparently pending further investigation, hopefully no news is good news in that respect as it's now over a month ago.

Chizz sort of dropped his knee onto his (late) tackler which was daft but anything much further than the merited SB would be harsh. 

I thought Fergie was when he crashed on top of a grounded player with a possible swinging arm. Hard to say.

Parata was 'no case to answer' wasnt it?

25 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Chizz sort of dropped his knee onto his (late) tackler which was daft but anything much further than the merited SB would be harsh. 

I thought Fergie was when he crashed on top of a grounded player with a possible swinging arm. Hard to say.

Parata was 'no case to answer' wasnt it?

The TJ described the Chisholm incident as "kicking out", but either way, without footage you'd think no further action.

For Fergie yes it did look possibly like a swinging arm but the ref just said "high contact" and he added to the Oldham players "you've got the penalty, it's sorted." though he later seemed to say he was a bit unsighted. The injured player (Dupree) was down for a long time and had to be helped off and it looked/sounded like the Oldham players were lobbying for a card and the ref put the incident on report, so it will definitely be looked at.

I haven't seen anything on the Parata case since the original disciplinary meeting where it was referred for further investigation.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

For Fergie yes it did look possibly like a swinging arm but the ref just said "high contact" and he added to the Oldham players "you've got the penalty, it's sorted." though he later seemed to say he was a bit unsighted. The injured player (Dupree) was down for a long time and had to be helped off and it looked/sounded like the Oldham players were lobbying for a card and the ref put the incident on report, so it will definitely be looked at.

Just seen this - 2 match ban for Fergie.
https://twitter.com/FevRoversRLFC/status/1433443606724022277

Archived