Snap out of the Gloom!

Yes. Not sure that would be my set of remedies but I agree with the sentiment.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

It's a strange article.

It starts by bemoaning people who are continually complaining about the state of the game and ends by listing numerous ways in which the game can be 'fixed' implying that it is broken.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

It's a strange article.

It starts by bemoaning people who are continually complaining about the state of the game and ends by listing numerous ways in which the game can be 'fixed' implying that it is broken.

Yes, it did take an odd turn. The principle of stopping the doom and gloom was right, until he then caught the bug and joined the crowd. 

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, it did take an odd turn. The principle of stopping the doom and gloom was right, until he then caught the bug and joined the crowd. 

Money or lack of it is often the route of disquiet in the game. Clubs slump in form can sometimes be due to financial unrest too.

The game needing to develop much more revenue is not a moan.

7 hours ago, Scubby said:

Money or lack of it is often the route of disquiet in the game. Clubs slump in form can sometimes be due to financial unrest too.

The game needing to develop much more revenue is not a moan.

I address this with MoK on another thread. If that is all that a person grumbled about, fair dos. There will always be some things people are unhappy about and it's always a good debate on here. 

But if you hate literally everything (and that band is growing), then I'd argue RL is not the hobby for you. 

I'm not referring to you personally BTW. 

I am not sure whether it matters what we write on TRL, given that it’s a local site for local leaugies. Of course we all know we are privileged to follow TGG, and that, say, the recent Hull derby was more entertaining than 1000 kick for touch games and 20 Premier League games. 

However, personally I feel very gloomy indeed for the NH game. It isn’t simply the decline in crowds, media interest and money among the English clubs, it is the threat to us that the NRL poses. If they continue on this path - taking control of the international game, and making it pretty much irrelevant, aside from possibly some games among themselves, then we could find ourselves a feeder league in which we can’t retain any big names, with the knock on effect for crowds, media interest and money. And the last is by far the most important. Talent always follows money, and unless we have the capacity to compete financially, we will continue on this slide to semi pro irrelevance. 

4 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I am not sure whether it matters what we write on TRL, given that it’s a local site for local leaugies. Of course we all know we are privileged to follow TGG, and that, say, the recent Hull derby was more entertaining than 1000 kick for touch games and 20 Premier League games. 

However, personally I feel very gloomy indeed for the NH game. It isn’t simply the decline in crowds, media interest and money among the English clubs, it is the threat to us that the NRL poses. If they continue on this path - taking control of the international game, and making it pretty much irrelevant, aside from possibly some games among themselves, then we could find ourselves a feeder league in which we can’t retain any big names, with the knock on effect for crowds, media interest and money. And the last is by far the most important. Talent always follows money, and unless we have the capacity to compete financially, we will continue on this slide to semi pro irrelevance. 

Well we need to be smarter, and (also) develop the international game, here in the NH.

We have an absolutely enormous population to target, let's just get on with it. 

9 hours ago, Johnoco said:

The moaning on here is pretty amateur overall. We had proper moaning in the late 90's/early 00's.

I'm not sure that it's just since C-19 that doom n gloom has taken over as suggested in the article.

I've been a miserable b'stard for well over two decades now!!😅

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm not sure that it's just since C-19 that doom n gloom has taken over as suggested in the article.

I've been a miserable b'stard for well over two decades now!!😅

If I'd been watching Fev for 30 odd years , I'd be miserable too 😂

7 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Miserable ginners are nothing new, so I don’t think they are even included on the latest government graph.  Bald gingers are even less on the radar.

So basically, can it grandad. 😎

How dare you suggest I'm a ginner..... its autumn sunset!!!!1😉

8 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Miserable ginners are nothing new, so I don’t think they are even included on the latest government graph.  Bald gingers are even less on the radar.

So basically, can it grandad. 😎

46 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

How dare you suggest I'm a ginner..... its autumn sunset!!!!1😉

Statler and Waldorf!

On 26/08/2021 at 15:20, Total Rugby League said:

TIM BUTCHER, the editor of the annual Rugby League Yearbook, published by League Publications Limited, hits back at those within and close to Rugby League...

View the full article

Finally 

Somebody I am in total agreement with. 

The doom merchants like love rugby league, Adam pearson, Neil hudgell and some of the other really poor rugby league media outlets need to change their tune. 

We seem to attract really poor journalists at this time with creates a virtual paranoia that our gane is in crisis. 

Yet the facts of covid and highest numbers of covid infections

speak for themselves and they are all, strangely enough Rugby league playing areas, 

The Dictatorship of sky is part of the great deception as its them who like other media platforms that are presenting our sport in a negative way. 

Replacing sky with another platform would be top of my list of things to do. 

I've watched the game all my life and sky deciding that gajes should take place on a Wednesday or Thursday night are not a solution for fans. 

I know of dozens of people who work shifts and simply cannot get to a Wednesday night game because that's what sky wants. 

These same people cannot watch the game on sky either, because they are at work. 

Self fulfilling negativity. 

The game for me has always seemingly been in crisis all of my life with a temporary lul during the Richard Lewis tenure. 

But it's a myth, and the sport has improved out of all recognition since I first started watching it. 

The RL world cup is desperately needed to give that electric shock to those doom merchants and to remind people how good our dame really is 

Archived