Steve McNamara

What a fantastic job he’s doing at Catalans. Yesterday they had not just another victory, but at 42 points to 14 a very convincing one which was away from home again, and with 9 Frenchmen in the side including one on his Super League debut.

Personally I think it was a mistake letting McNamara go as the England coach, something I said at the time, I really don’t understand why some fans have such a negative opinion of him, regardless of how the rest of the season goes it’s been a phenomenal achievement from him and Catalan Dragons this year.

10 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What a fantastic job he’s doing at Catalans. Yesterday they had not just another victory, but at 42 points to 14 a very convincing one which was away from home again, and with 9 Frenchmen in the side including one on his Super League debut.

Personally I think it was a mistake letting McNamara go as the England coach, something I said at the time, I really don’t understand why some fans have such a negative opinion of him, regardless of how the rest of the season goes it’s been a phenomenal achievement from him and Catalan Dragons this year.

Agreed, his rep was bad after England but hes certainly built it up again. Really hope they win the whole thing

He did a good job with England, better than than Wayne Bennett. I've definitely changed my opinion of him at the Catalan, it seems he has improved the club, I'm even happy with the way he is bringing through the younger players, he has made tough decisions with the reserve team and their coaches etc that couldn't have been easy! 

I have a feeling he had quite a few things out of his control at the beginning. 

The question is whether he can go all the way now. He's built up a great side but we've seen it for years, new team on the block, high expectations, fail miserably in the playoffs or final.

Hull, Warrington, Huddersfield, Castleford, Salford. Still haven't made it over that final hurdle.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

He got England regularly playing like a team (something we've rarely seen), and serving up a pretty decent brand of Rugby. He took on the Catalans job when the club's performances were a pathetic joke and got them playing to their potential.

From what little I know of him, he seems to be a pretty serious type, who works hard and conscientiously on all aspects of the job, but he's not the firebrand kind of coach who whips up passion. Him and Shaun Wane, if they could work together, would be an interesting management team.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I remember during the middle 8’s in 2017, not long after McNamara had taken over the coaching job, someone on here posted that Catalans would not win another game whilst McNamara was in charge.

With a CC Final triumph and probable League Leaders Shield later I wonder if that poster has changed their mind ……..

Archived