Jump to content

You’ve just bought SL/RL what would you do


Recommended Posts

There’s so much negativity on here lately, so an interesting thought occurred, massive hypothetical situation.

You’ve come into a lot of money (as in so much it’s irrelevant how much you can spend) you’ve decided to buy RL, you can make whatever changes you like, what would you do, nothings off the table as you’re in total control.

(ill add mine when I’m at a computer not typing on a phone)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I would invite all 12 SL club Chairmen to a meeting. Usher them into a room and lock the door - with me outside.  Then open the cat flap in the door and slide in one sandwich and one child size bottle of pop.

Then over the intercom I would inform them that they will not be released until they have come up with a long term strategic plan that offers a whole-of-game solution.

I would then sit back and closely watch for the first SL Chairman to realise that that task is beyond them and to see that person devour the whole sandwich and drink the bottle of pop so that the other eleven would starve to death before them.

In fact I think I would offer this to SKY as one of the ways to brighten up our sport!

OK, it’s Friday night here and I’ve had a couple of beers 😄

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where to begin?

I'd have the RFL bankroll London Broncos in the same way that the ARL did with Melbourne.

I would invest heavily in the RLEF to develop a strategy to grow the European and especially French game.

Smaller scale, ensure all matches in Super League have proper broadcast standars coverage, not just one camera.

I'd have a national, free to air highlights show on Sunday evenings. I'd give it away if necessary.

I'd have an annual international in London.

I'd introduce a strategy for the Challenge Cup final. Free tickets for anyone who plays rugby league with a London postcode. Discounted tickets for local schoolchildren, prizes for the school that sells the most. Same for Magic Weekend but read Newcastle.

Three on the road Super League matches each summer in Cumbria, one at each professional club.

Avoid non TV Super League matches clashing with televised games.

And if money truly was no object, I'd buy the NRL to stop them hijacking any plans that benefit the wider game again.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Twitter: @TrylineUK
Latest Blog: Super League Video Referee Plans Scaled Back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 team SL with 3 teams (one from France, Wales and Eng (London)) locked in, with central funding of 1.05 mil and required to play a certain amount of int eligible players. 

Build everything around building up an annual 4 nations tournament with Eng Wales France and Jam (replacing Jam when they need to qualify for the World Cup). 

Make sure USA and Canada get 2 internationals a year from NH teams. So France vs Canada and Wales vs USA, plus an annual 9´s tournament in north america with USA Canada, France, Eng. 

Give virtually no money to clubs outside SL. Either tell Ottawa that they need to join with Toronto and they too will both be protected from relegated if they get a tv deal, or they aren´t in our pyramid. 

Ring the people who wanted Manchester Rangers to go into League 1, apologise repeatedly and let them in the pyramid with no bond. Announce the plan is to get the tv deal back to 30 million and have a SL of two equal 10 team conferences. 

Edited by ShropshireBull
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

You’ve come into a lot of money (as in so much it’s irrelevant how much you can spend) you’ve decided to buy RL, you can make whatever changes you like, what would you do, nothings off the table as you’re in total control.

Since I've got unlimited money and power, I can't do any harm in terms of bankrupting the sport. So, I might as well try some new things out.

I'd have an international break in maybe June, with the likes of England, France, Wales etc. all playing three matches, perhaps in some sort of annual tournament.

I'd also have a month where I either tried either a 9's competition, or something akin to The Hundred in cricket. Something to try and take the game to new areas and new people. Unlike in the real world, I'd have nothing to lose in this fantasy world, because I'm able to fund any losses. There is no reason not to try all manner of different ideas. If they don't work, I'll just disregard them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Where to begin?

I'd have the RFL bankroll London Broncos in the same way that the ARL did with Melbourne.

I would invest heavily in the RLEF to develop a strategy to grow the European and especially French game.

Smaller scale, ensure all matches in Super League have proper broadcast standars coverage, not just one camera.

I'd have a national, free to air highlights show on Sunday evenings. I'd give it away if necessary.

I'd have an annual international in London.

I'd introduce a strategy for the Challenge Cup final. Free tickets for anyone who plays rugby league with a London postcode. Discounted tickets for local schoolchildren, prizes for the school that sells the most. Same for Magic Weekend but read Newcastle.

Three on the road Super League matches each summer in Cumbria, one at each professional club.

Avoid non TV Super League matches clashing with televised games.

And if money truly was no object, I'd buy the NRL to stop them hijacking any plans that benefit the wider game again.

I'd recruit you 

 

The negativity of league fans is a huge failing 

I'd have a 18 team super league and include York, London, Newcastle. Barrow and North Wales Crusaders 

 

All those clubs would have a 12 year guaranteed super league place 

 

I'd have an 18 team championship. 

 

I'd have test series with the kiwis, the kangaroos, samoa, and tonga or Fiji on a 4 year cycle. 

I'd create a you tune platform and sack sky with immediate effect 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, The storm said:

I'd recruit you 

 

The negativity of league fans is a huge failing 

I'd have a 18 team super league and include York, London, Newcastle. Barrow and North Wales Crusaders 

 

All those clubs would have a 12 year guaranteed super league place 

 

I'd have an 18 team championship. 

 

I'd have test series with the kiwis, the kangaroos, samoa, and tonga or Fiji on a 4 year cycle. 

I'd create a you tune platform and sack sky with immediate effect 

What would you do on your second day?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Where to begin?

I'd have the RFL bankroll London Broncos in the same way that the ARL did with Melbourne.

I would invest heavily in the RLEF to develop a strategy to grow the European and especially French game.

Smaller scale, ensure all matches in Super League have proper broadcast standars coverage, not just one camera.

I'd have a national, free to air highlights show on Sunday evenings. I'd give it away if necessary.

I'd have an annual international in London.

I'd introduce a strategy for the Challenge Cup final. Free tickets for anyone who plays rugby league with a London postcode. Discounted tickets for local schoolchildren, prizes for the school that sells the most. Same for Magic Weekend but read Newcastle.

Three on the road Super League matches each summer in Cumbria, one at each professional club.

Avoid non TV Super League matches clashing with televised games.

And if money truly was no object, I'd buy the NRL to stop them hijacking any plans that benefit the wider game again.

Really like this… 

I’d add:

Bankroll a team in South Wales based out of Cardiff.

Fund Academies and set up/enhance Junior development pathways in non-traditional areas whilst developing a similar construct in Cumbria. 

I’d delete the MW/SB from the calendar so it would be a straight home/away calendar in each league. 

I’d probably fund the NARL at the same time. 

Look to develop the international calendar around multi-team formats rather than Tests. 

I’d also lobby Sky to have a decent commentary team…

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Give every super league club the opportunity to have a academy. If they can't afford or can't be bothered to run one they would lose their Super League.

All academy players must be nationals of the country where their club is from.

Within 4 years all clubs must have 90% nationals of the country they are based in, in their first team squad, and 100% after 5 years.

Any club that finishes bottom 3 years running is relegated to the Championship, and replaced by a club from the championship

Any club that averages less than 4,500 home crowds for 2 years running is relegated to the championship, and replaced by a club from the championship.

My plan would be to develop local talent and grow the fan base

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd also exempt all players who are from non-heartland areas (inc France) from the salary cap (exc Catalans when it comes to French players).

We should also look to encourage and incentivise professional clubs linking with non heartland clubs.

Come to think of it, lots of this could be done without a bottomless pit of money.

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 2

Twitter: @TrylineUK
Latest Blog: Super League Video Referee Plans Scaled Back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bring TV production in-house. Professionally branded, presented and produced. Bin off Baz, Tez and Phil.

Our League v2.0. High quality production of live matches, player features, overhaul of use of stats, free WiFi in stadia with augmented reality in-app, etc.

Behind the scenes 'Drive to Survive' style Netflix series.

Investment in growing a non-contact smaller team version of the sport as a genuine alternative to 6-a-side football.

Investment in regional youth and community development in growth areas of England, Wales and Europe.

Grant scheme for community initiatives (like the World Cup one but bigger).

Stadia upgrades and replacements.

Build a RL sports complex (think Etihad and St Georges Park type thing) to support elite playing and coaching pathways.

Combined division-level kit and merch deals with a reputable and recognisable manufacturer.

Lifetime contract at Wigan for Adrian Lam with Agent Ian Millward brought back as his assistant.

Better get the cheque book out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Development officers in every country that has shown they want to play the game. 

Help each nation with broadcast equipment and training.

Setup a paid streaming app and have all games from around the world on it.

Help countries sell their product to FTA TV. 

  • Like 1

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get rid of promotion/relegation. Have set teams in super league every year (like the NRL). Add in Toulouse, a Cumbria team, Welsh team. - Reviewed after 5years, if a team in consistently struggling then they could be replaced.

Get rid of League 1, clubs in Championship are joined up to a SL club and become feeder clubs. These clubs get more funding to put into Junior development so every club has a Scholarship scheme to offer to kids in the community game.

Raise the salary cap.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Id send Leigh fans for counseling - I mean nobody can be that gulible can they?

Id make a rule where Saints are deducted 2 points during matches everytime their crowd shouts "Forward" during a game. Id give them the option though of starting each game on -30.

I was going to make a rule where it is Warrington's year every year but I just checked and that is already there.

Id kick Catalans out and replace them with Batley because everyone knows Batley is a better away trip than France.

Id change Cas's official name to Classy Cas but also make a rule where their tries only count if there is at least 6 passes in the build up because of that.

For Hull Kr I would install a Hull KR fan meter at every away ground to track and count Hull Kr fans and they would get a bonus league point for each away game where they take more than 30000 fans.

For Wakefield I would demolish Belle Vue basically saving them over 1m in improvements.

I would make a rule for Salford where they get points based on Richard Marshall's interviews and these would carry over to the next league game. 4 points for every "We will learn from this" or "Come through adversity" or "We will work hard". I fully expect Salford to be champions in year 1 of my tenure.

Id just kick Huddersfield out unless they become less boring. If they did manage to become less boring I would deduct them 10 points during matches for each time I heard the cowbell to pretty much get them out of the league anyway.

Leeds, Hull, and Wigan I really don't mind. I would consider rebuilding both Central Park and the Boulevard though.

Not much to change in the Championship as its already a pretty darn good league but I would consider buying 10000 AI robots to go to London's games and they would chant "Larnden Larnden Larnden" constantly for 80 minutes.

For Bradford I would bring back bull boy and his quad, I used to love that crazy idiot. I think if they do that then I would certainly consider going to watch Bradford like the other 15000 Halifax fans did back at the start of the Bulls golden era or at least that's what I keep hearing.

I would put Newcastle and York in SL just to stop people on the forum telling us every 2 minutes that both teams deserve to be in there.

I'd also promote Fev to Super League as well but then just 2 minutes before they are due to kick off their first ever SL game I would announce that we are reducing the number of teams in SL by 1 and unfortunatley they will have to go back in to the championship and they have broken the championship salary cap so will be deducted 10 competition points.

Other than that I don't honestly think I would change much, maybe just the dragging in to touch rule.

Edited by The Blues Ox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Id send Leigh fans for counseling - I mean nobody can be that gulible can they?

Id make a rule where Saints are deducted 2 points during matches everytime their crowd shouts "Forward" during a game. Id give them the option though of starting each game on -30.

I was going to make a rule where it is Warrington's year every year but I just checked and that is already there.

Id kick Catalans out and replace them with Batley because everyone knows Batley is a better away trip than France.

Id change Cas's official name to Classy Cas but also make a rule where their tries only count if there is at least 6 passes in the build up because of that.

For Hull Kr I would install a Hull KR fan meter at every away ground to track and count Hull Kr fans and they would get a bonus league point for each away game where they take more than 30000 fans.

For Wakefield I would demolish Belle Vue basically saving them over 1m in improvements.

I would make a rule for Salford where they get points based on Richard Marshall's interviews and these would carry over to the next league game. 4 points for every "We will learn from this" or "Come through adversity" or "We will work hard". I fully expect Salford to be champions in year 1 of my tenure.

Id just kick Huddersfield out unless they become less boring. If they did manage to become less boring I would deduct them 10 points during matches for each time I heard the cowbell to pretty much get them out of the league anyway.

Leeds, Hull, and Wigan I really don't mind. I would consider rebuilding both Central Park and the Boulevard though.

Not much to change in the Championship as its already a pretty darn good league but I would consider buying 10000 AI robots to go to London's games and they would chant "Larnden Larnden Larnden" constantly for 80 minutes.

For Bradford I would bring back bull boy and his quad, I used to love that crazy idiot. I think if they do that then I would certainly consider going to watch Bradford like the other 15000 Halifax fans did back at the start of the Bulls golden era or at least that's what I keep hearing.

I would put Newcastle and York in SL just to stop people on the forum telling us every 2 minutes that both teams deserve to be in there.

I'd also promote Fev to Super League as well but then just 2 minutes before they are due to kick off their first ever SL game I would announce that we are reducing the number of teams in SL by 1 and unfortunatley they will have to go back in to the championship and they have broken the championship salary cap so will be deducted 10 competition points.

Other than that I don't honestly think I would change much, maybe just the dragging in to touch rule.

How would you change the ''dragging into touch rule?''

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...