NCL match abandoned after referee assault

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It'll probably be on the news at ten tonight.

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I doubt the individual will be playing RL again

The default used to be an automatic life ban for such things. I'm assuming it still is unless something can be dug up in mitigation.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

The default used to be an automatic life ban for such things. I'm assuming it still is unless something can be dug up in mitigation.

It very rarely happens, and as far as I know that's always the outcome.  For favourable disciplinary outcomes you always need your club on your side, Milford have quite rightly stood him down, and I doubt will want anything to do with him in the future

I believe there have been comments on twitter condoning the players actions as it was 'the ref was rubbish'.

My concern has always been the respect shown to refs at the top level does filter down. Whilst everyone here is supporting the ref and a potential life ban for the player, recent abuse of refs I feel makes it harder for those in the community game.

Or is it the refs fault for failing to control the player, did he 'lose control of the game'? 😉

According to article, "the player has been stood down from playing duties pending an internal investigation”.

Under what circumstances would an internal investigation come to the conclusion that a player assaulting the referee is in any way not a full lifetime ban?  These are situations where the club could make a clear and obvious statement by banning the player for life immediately. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

31 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

According to article, "the player has been stood down from playing duties pending an internal investigation”.

Under what circumstances would an internal investigation come to the conclusion that a player assaulting the referee is in any way not a full lifetime ban?  These are situations where the club could make a clear and obvious statement by banning the player for life immediately. 

You wouldn't think they could but processes need to be gone through to make sure the decision is watertight and couldn't be overturned by making the decision to quickly. There are many instances where people are sacked from a job, correctly for what they have done, but because a process has not been followed they get a pay out. 

Presume (and hope) the police are involved too. Very sad to hear.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

My union club had their game v ponty abandoned last week for continued dissent. The ref had had enough.

The three wath players in question were immediately stood down by the club pending further investigation.

One would hope this individual is shown the exit door from rugby league.

1 hour ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I believe there have been comments on twitter condoning the players actions as it was 'the ref was rubbish'.

My concern has always been the respect shown to refs at the top level does filter down. Whilst everyone here is supporting the ref and a potential life ban for the player, recent abuse of refs I feel makes it harder for those in the community game.

Or is it the refs fault for failing to control the player, did he 'lose control of the game'? 😉

RL used to pride itself on respect for the referee and when I played as an average amateur back in the 1980s/90s any backchat to a referee just got you penalised. Now it seems appealing for decisions, waving your arms and low level dissent from players and abuse from spectators is the norm. 

I certainly don't enjoy watching refs getting surrounded by players arguing and disputing decisions and it doesn't reflect well on our game.

38 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

RL used to pride itself on respect for the referee and when I played as an average amateur back in the 1980s/90s any backchat to a referee just got you penalised. Now it seems appealing for decisions, waving your arms and low level dissent from players and abuse from spectators is the norm. 

I certainly don't enjoy watching refs getting surrounded by players arguing and disputing decisions and it doesn't reflect well on our game.

Fully agree. I remember being sent back 10 when asking a ref, what was that for? Another 10 we went and my team yelled at me to shut up, such was the low tolerance of any talk to the ref.

People argue players should be able to seek clarity from a ref, I doubt they are seeking any clarity, they are really challenging the ref whilst framing it as being inquisitive

Ban him from the sport completely, disgusting behaviour and there is no excuse, seeing some morons trying to argue the ref had a poor game which led to it is ridiculous.  Or us it ok for a ref to now go and smack a player who's knocked on for the 5th time?

2 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

You wouldn't think they could but processes need to be gone through to make sure the decision is watertight and couldn't be overturned by making the decision to quickly. There are many instances where people are sacked from a job, correctly for what they have done, but because a process has not been followed they get a pay out. 

I agree, but that is with employment law.  I have managed disciplinary processes, some resulting in warnings and some in gross misconduct and dismissal and I have also chaired appeals.  But there is no contract at play here.  This is essentially a membership club and the board of that club can decide if the behavior demonstrated is something they want in their club and they could act on that decision quickly.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Ban him from the sport completely, disgusting behaviour and there is no excuse, seeing some morons trying to argue the ref had a poor game which led to it is ridiculous.  Or us it ok for a ref to now go and smack a player who's knocked on for the 5th time?

I agree. Though I am intrigued by the thought of a very hard referee keeping people on side through fear of getting filled in. 

5 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Such people have probably never played a game of rugby league in their lives. All hot air from warriors behind their keyboards.

5 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

What abuse at the top of the game are you talking particularly? I can't think of a single incident in a SL game that would filter down to any players to such an extent? Spectators perhaps with the unacceptable verbals, but not players, and nothing physical.

Think this is an isolated incident thankfully. We don't hear about this much in our game. Sine die. Police. Move far away from this person.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

No referee - no game. Unless they are protected there will not be any volunteers coming forward. During my time on LARL committee only ever gave one sine die ban and that was for threatening referee, which his club didn't dispute. (Think fact after leaving the pitch he started a fight with his coach and another team mate may have had something to do with that decision?)

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

I’m afraid what I’ve seen coaching this year this is not a surprise. Standards have slipped, at every games coaches are constantly moaning at the ref - winding the players up resulting in a spiral of downward behaviour. Worse still are the parents - I can’t describe how bad some are, many don’t understand what is ok at a SL game is completely unacceptable at ARL. I’m away from most - but can hear the relentless unchecked barrage of abuse at the Ref - again winding up the players.

in this case, yes the lad need banning - and prosecuting as it’s that serious. However the club needs a ban too if their behaviour (including the parents) in any way encouraged this incident.

Big improvement needed across the board in terms of behaviour.

Archived