NCL match abandoned after referee assault

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The default used to be an automatic life ban for such things. I'm assuming it still is unless something can be dug up in mitigation.

Mitigation?

Like what?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pie tries said:

I’m afraid what I’ve seen coaching this year this is not a surprise. Standards have slipped, at every games coaches are constantly moaning at the ref - winding the players up resulting in a spiral of downward behaviour. Worse still are the parents - I can’t describe how bad some are, many don’t understand what is ok at a SL game is completely unacceptable at ARL. I’m away from most - but can hear the relentless unchecked barrage of abuse at the Ref - again winding up the players.

in this case, yes the lad need banning - and prosecuting as it’s that serious. However the club needs a ban too if their behaviour (including the parents) in any way encouraged this incident.

Big improvement needed across the board in terms of behaviour.

This was an open age game, not a junior game, so not quite sure why the emphasis on parents?

I agree with the point, I just don't think it's in the right place here.

It may come to the point where games (all games) need to have video recordings for insurance reasons in future. Everyone has a camera these days. If it makes people accountable, can only be a good thing.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

7 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

This was an open age game, not a junior game, so not quite sure why the emphasis on parents?

I agree with the point, I just don't think it's in the right place here.

It may come to the point where games (all games) need to have video recordings for insurance reasons in future. Everyone has a camera these days. If it makes people accountable, can only be a good thing.

Yes, I’m slightly off piste but (I think) my point is valid. Abuse of the Refs has to stop - bans and education are needed 

This is disgraceful and the player should be banned for life and the club punished to send a strong message.  We all know behaviour filters down from the top of the game and whilst we haven't seen an assault at that level there has been a steady decline in respect shown to the referee. 

I've always thought that this decline is an inevitable effect of having a video referee. When i played we were taught that there was no point appealing to the ref as they would never change their minds and that they ultimately were the sole arbiter of decisions. 

The VR has changed all that. Players are appealing for vr reviews, milking penalties, surrounding refs shouting look at the screen and the VR themselves get involved to point out things that the ref has missed and now make, it seems, the majority of decisions on the validity of tries. 

All this undermines the authority of the referee. Get rid of the VR, penalise dissent instantly (including surrounding the ref) at the top of the game and at every level. 

16 hours ago, dkw said:

Ban him from the sport completely, disgusting behaviour and there is no excuse, seeing some morons trying to argue the ref had a poor game which led to it is ridiculous.  Or us it ok for a ref to now go and smack a player who's knocked on for the 5th time?

Without wanting to make light of the situation this comment maybe deserves to go in the how to improve the game thread.

11 hours ago, Pie tries said:

I’m afraid what I’ve seen coaching this year this is not a surprise. Standards have slipped, at every games coaches are constantly moaning at the ref - winding the players up resulting in a spiral of downward behaviour. Worse still are the parents - I can’t describe how bad some are, many don’t understand what is ok at a SL game is completely unacceptable at ARL. I’m away from most - but can hear the relentless unchecked barrage of abuse at the Ref - again winding up the players.

in this case, yes the lad need banning - and prosecuting as it’s that serious. However the club needs a ban too if their behaviour (including the parents) in any way encouraged this incident.

Big improvement needed across the board in terms of behaviour.

+1 to this.

For me it starts with the parents and I will admit that in my past years I have hurled abuse at referees when in the crowd at games. I do remember playing the game though that we were always told to address the refferee correctly otherwise we would be off. A big eye opener for me was when I started coaching at junior level and we are drilling in to kids that the way to address the ref is "yes sir" "no sir" and it meant I had to set that example myself. Ive seen some awful abuse to match officials in junior rugby from players, coaches, and parents. Ive seen lads and lasses under 16 reffing games and getting a barrage of abuse from the sideline and you just think what if the boot was on the other foot and a grown adult was screaming at your son or daughter every time they dropped a ball or missed a tackle.

Seeing things like that was a huge wake up call for myself and I will purposfully go out of the way to chat to the ref and although I might not always agree with their decisions I will respect that they have to make them in a split second and I do not envy them one little bit and I will try and make their experience with our team an enjoyable one. Ive even gone as far to explaining to our players that been nicer to the ref its only human nature that things like that are remembered and you never know you might find yourselves been on the right side of any 50/50 decisions more often than not.

17 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Without wanting to make light of the situation this comment maybe deserves to go in the how to improve the game thread.

+1 to this.

For me it starts with the parents and I will admit that in my past years I have hurled abuse at referees when in the crowd at games. I do remember playing the game though that we were always told to address the refferee correctly otherwise we would be off. A big eye opener for me was when I started coaching at junior level and we are drilling in to kids that the way to address the ref is "yes sir" "no sir" and it meant I had to set that example myself. Ive seen some awful abuse to match officials in junior rugby from players, coaches, and parents. Ive seen lads and lasses under 16 reffing games and getting a barrage of abuse from the sideline and you just think what if the boot was on the other foot and a grown adult was screaming at your son or daughter every time they dropped a ball or missed a tackle.

Seeing things like that was a huge wake up call for myself and I will purposfully go out of the way to chat to the ref and although I might not always agree with their decisions I will respect that they have to make them in a split second and I do not envy them one little bit and I will try and make their experience with our team an enjoyable one. Ive even gone as far to explaining to our players that been nicer to the ref its only human nature that things like that are remembered and you never know you might find yourselves been on the right side of any 50/50 decisions more often than not.

I referee junior/low level RU and the players are pretty good but I warn them before we kick off that backchat and appealing will be penalised. But the coaches are usually the worst for shouting and carrying on and how they behave is a fairly reliable predictor of how their players will behave. Ill disciplined coach means ill-disciplined players.

46 minutes ago, langpark said:

Everybody, just relax. He will obviously get a life ban, there is no other option. Just let them follow standard procedure.

Horrible incident, but I find both clubs' reactions excellent and very professional. Please stop the nitpicking.

Not entirely sure that is a realistic ambition on an internet forum. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 27/08/2021 at 15:55, Wakefield Ram said:

RL used to pride itself on respect for the referee and when I played as an average amateur back in the 1980s/90s any backchat to a referee just got you penalised. Now it seems appealing for decisions, waving your arms and low level dissent from players and abuse from spectators is the norm. 

I certainly don't enjoy watching refs getting surrounded by players arguing and disputing decisions and it doesn't reflect well on our game.

M8nkey see monkey do, clamp down in super league

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

20 hours ago, Marauder said:

M8nkey see monkey do, clamp down in super league

yep, started with hookers waving their arms at every tackle/PTB... took a while to be followed by other players but they certainly eventually followed appealing at all and sundry.

Lesson - don't let the problem take hold like with the hookers... penalising them when it started would have stopped what we have now.

28 minutes ago, redjonn said:

yep, started with hookers waving their arms at every tackle/PTB... took a while to be followed by other players but they certainly eventually followed appealing at all and sundry.

Lesson - don't let the problem take hold like with the hookers... penalising them when it started would have stopped what we have now.

Only takes a letter from the RFL to every coach on their books explaining it will be a penalty, carry on and march them back a further 10, still carry on and it's a red + 10 more metres (They gave up their rights of a yellow when being marched back 10).

6 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Only takes a letter from the RFL to every coach on their books explaining it will be a penalty, carry on and march them back a further 10, still carry on and it's a red + 10 more metres (They gave up their rights of a yellow when being marched back 10).

Spot on Jim. After 2 weeks of penalties, 10 metres and cards the issue(s) would disappear

18 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Just read the article. Automatic lifetime ban from playing rugby league. There's absolutely no place for this in sport or life. I know the refs aren't always the favourite people on the pitch but without them we don't have a game. 

True but IMO we put to much on the without them statement as if it's a get out of jail card for the whistle blower.

l

4 minutes ago, Marauder said:

True but IMO we put to much on the without them statement as if it's a get out of jail card for the whistle blower.

l

Nope, no buts. Referees shouldn't be going to jail, they are just facilitating a game of rugby.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

8 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Nope, no buts. Referees shouldn't be going to jail, they are just facilitating a game of rugby.

They then should make sure they are up to the job in hand so they can officiate to the required standard.

18 minutes ago, Marauder said:

They then should make sure they are up to the job in hand so they can officiate to the required standard.

Perhaps they have to keep going through new recruits because so many people either give up or don't want to try in the first place.

Archived