NCL match abandoned after referee assault

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Perhaps they have to keep going through new recruits because so many people either give up or don't want to try in the first place.

Not a job I'd cherish but it's the standard and the lack of a system to improve what we have that's lacking across the board, the other week we dropped lucky to have one of the best referees I've seen since Leef, in Carl Hughes, he is in his first season with the whistle and was brilliant (Ex-Professional player) on the other hand we had one a few weeks earlier who didn't even know the simple basics.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Not a job I'd cherish but it's the standard and the lack of a system to improve what we have that's lacking across the board

Perhaps that's the problem - knowledgeable folk like yourself not having a go at refereeing.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

True but IMO we put to much on the without them statement as if it's a get out of jail card for the whistle blower.

l

At this level I doubt they get payed or if they do its not worth getting thumped for. People shouldn't be punching each other anyway, it's a game, it's not life or death. I certainly wasn't taught to react like that. 

10 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

At this level I doubt they get payed or if they do its not worth getting thumped for. People shouldn't be punching each other anyway, it's a game, it's not life or death. I certainly wasn't taught to react like that. 

Yeah, they get paid.  But you're right that they shouldn't be getting punched.   Ironically, I see you like boxing.

11 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

I've not brought thumping into it or even said anything to justify a referee being thumped, If anything I'm stating reasons that would prevent them getting a thump by the RFL taking responsibility and bringing the standard up to a level that is required - At this level you expect a referee to know that a drop out from under the sticks that goes out on the full is a penalty and not a play the ball to the team that dropped out, at this level you expect the none offending team at a knock on who gathers the ball and scores to be awarded a try and not a play the ball and at this level they get around £40.00 a game when visiting us.

24 minutes ago, Griff said:

Perhaps that's the problem - knowledgeable folk like yourself not having a go at refereeing.

I did the course around 1982 after an injury, but decided to carry on playing which I did till 2000 when I started my own business and my spare time was taken by helping run an amateur club till this day.

16 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yeah, they get paid.  But you're right that they shouldn't be getting punched.   Ironically, I see you like boxing.

I do like boxing as well as kick boxing, cage fighting and Muay Thai, I also only got sent off once in the 26 years I played rugby league.

10 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I did the course around 1982 after an injury, but decided to carry on playing which I did till 2000 when I started my own business and my spare time was taken by helping run an amateur club till this day.

Good for you.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Education, mentors & fitness for starters

3 key things but no easy answers unfortunately 

At the starter end the education comes from attending society meetings where there are always very robust discussions about incidents especially if you have a couple of senior Level 1 or 2 officials 

Fitness is down to the individual although if you are not “match fit” then you cannot enjoy the game. It also takes a few games to adjust to each step up

The mentoring is the most important though and probably the part which is most lacking. I was lucky that we had 3 or 4 retired ex senior officials who went out to watch mainly junior games every weekend. One hint or tip from them was worth its weight in gold. At open age this dropped off for understandable reasons unless you were lucky to have someone from the society watch your game by chance. Otherwise you were & still are left to sink or swim. I’m not  even certain that they still have assessors at every NCL match!

Can't believe this cobblers.

It matters not if it was the best ref in the world or me refereeing the game....or, the perception thatthe systems of support and development are inadequate.... (they're fine), there is absolutely no mitigation for hitting the ref. None.

Refs being inadequate assumption is just sand in your trunks

33 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Can't believe this cobblers.

It matters not if it was the best ref in the world or me refereeing the game....or, the perception thatthe systems of support and development are inadequate.... (they're fine), there is absolutely no mitigation for hitting the ref. None.

Refs being inadequate assumption is just sand in your trunks

Zero reasons or excuses for the assault is something everybody will agree with. There is a lack of support & structured development but these 2 issues are not related 

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

Not a job I'd cherish but it's the standard and the lack of a system to improve what we have that's lacking across the board, the other week we dropped lucky to have one of the best referees I've seen since Leef, in Carl Hughes, he is in his first season with the whistle and was brilliant (Ex-Professional player) on the other hand we had one a few weeks earlier who didn't even know the simple basics.

Referee standards, like all professions, depend on the talent pool. Right now, it is very very hard to get people involved let alone keep people engaged. 

Why would anyone do it? You're abused incessantly, juniors can't build up a resistance to that constantly and adults don't have to put up with it. Many competent people stay away and put their efforts into something else and I can't  blame them.

This results in a negative feedback loop of less people being interested in doing it because of the abuse resulting in a smaller talent pool meaning lower quality meaning more abuse meaning less interest meaning smaller talent pool etc.

I wouldn't do refereeing for love nor money. It's simply not worth all the grief they get. I watch Saddleworth rangers and you hear some people having a right go at them. At the end of the day they have to start somewhere. Some are better than others, that's life. 

On 30/08/2021 at 12:53, Marauder said:

We desperately need more refs but nobody wants to do the job. It's not just abuse but the constant critique, there seems to be more focus on what the ref does than the players. Personally I just don't get it and the impact is refs leaving the role and fewer wishing to join.

Maybe more could be done, my hope is we give them more time to develop like we do players, expect mistakes as they learn, but the accountability is greater for refs than players, you can see this it a community club most weekends 

At rugby union,spectators constantly criticising the referee is simply not allowed. One can shout off side ref or something similar but the constant,aggressive,abuse rugby league refs get at the community level is banned.

In the event of such behaviour the home team are warned and if the spectator continues the game will be stopped/abandoned and the home club deducted points. Frankly,this doesn't happen,as such constant behaviour issimply not tolerated. I accept this is easier within private grounds,rather than open park settings but the home club usually know who the individuals are and unfortunately,do little about it.

13 minutes ago, cookey said:

At rugby union,spectators constantly criticising the referee is simply not allowed. One can shout off side ref or something similar but the constant,aggressive,abuse rugby league refs get at the community level is banned.

In the event of such behaviour the home team are warned and if the spectator continues the game will be stopped/abandoned and the home club deducted points. Frankly,this doesn't happen,as such constant behaviour issimply not tolerated. I accept this is easier within private grounds,rather than open park settings but the home club usually know who the individuals are and unfortunately,do little about it.

Yep completely agree as I ref RU. I don't tolerate any abuse.

It is the responsibility of the clubs to sort it out, they know who the people are. 

24 minutes ago, cookey said:

It hadn't occurred to me until you wrote that but I occasionally make my way over to Hastings & Bexhill RU and there is hardly ever anything said by the spectators on the sideline directly to the ref. They will note things to each other and I was once privy to a conversation between an assessor and a spectator where the assessor all but agreed that the referee was having a poor game but that was the limit of it.

I'm told they do have issues sometimes with parents - and it is always parents not the players - in junior matches. The ultimate sanction being that the parent will simply be banned from attending.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived