Toulouse will play play off semi-final in Toulouse

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I honestly do not see how some people agree that the SL GF should be at a neutral venue, but the Championship shouldn't.

The championship GF is, in a way, more important - it's not just about a trophy and some cash. It's purpose is different, so there's no reason why it should follow the same rules as the SL GF. 

You could easily argue that the table-toppers should be promoted without a play-off, as happens in football. The SL GF was brought in to provide an end of season spectacle, and I don't see where the competition for promotion to SL would have anything to do with that - in which case the league leaders have already been disadvantaged by having to play at all. A home tie is a small recompense for that.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I agree with that. As an example, how about this post on the Toulouse Olympique forum, where somebody is clearly trying to stir things up by selectively quoting the Featherstone chairman and calling not just him, but also their fans, "very arrogant".

http://www.rugbyforumxiii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=73064

Of course it has worked a treat and Toulouse fans on that forum have taken the bait hook, line and sinker.

This does look to be a classic example of a poster with a massive chip on their shoulder, so I wonder if your criticism extends to him? His user name of "The Daddy" is just a coincidence, right?

There is no TO XIII forum. 

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I agree with that. As an example, how about this post on the Toulouse Olympique forum, where somebody is clearly trying to stir things up by selectively quoting the Featherstone chairman and calling not just him, but also their fans, "very arrogant".

http://www.rugbyforumxiii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=73064

Of course it has worked a treat and Toulouse fans on that forum have taken the bait hook, line and sinker.

This does look to be a classic example of a poster with a massive chip on their shoulder, so I wonder if your criticism extends to him? His user name of "The Daddy" is just a coincidence, right?

There is no TO XIII forum. 

18 hours ago, Human Punk said:

The championship GF is, in a way, more important - it's not just about a trophy and some cash. It's purpose is different, so there's no reason why it should follow the same rules as the SL GF. 

You could easily argue that the table-toppers should be promoted without a play-off, as happens in football. The SL GF was brought in to provide an end of season spectacle, and I don't see where the competition for promotion to SL would have anything to do with that - in which case the league leaders have already been disadvantaged by having to play at all. A home tie is a small recompense for that.

Totally agree with your first paragraph, has I stated earlier the only reason for winning the SL GF gets a notification on the honours board in the club house, winning the Championship GF means some prestige and a very nice financial reward.

Having said that the powers that be decided to introduce a competitive structure to be fought over on the field of play to put some more money into the coffers at the end of the season, there is no other reason in an even number of fixtures (in any normal league structure like Football to extend it) but because we in RL decide to have lop sided fixtures with the addition of Magic or Bash weekends we have play offs to decide the Champion club.

So in recognition of where a team finishes on the season long league ladder there is a reward for the team finishing at the top with an easier route to the final match i.e. the Grand Final. I would not refer to that has a disadvantage in fact it has a very positive advantage and even gives the League Leaders should they win their first game a further week off for more preperation and recuperation, whilst the others could suffer injuries or suspensions in the 'extra' game to join them in the final, which in consideration should be at a neutral venue.

Now, just instead of having a preferance for any team that finishes top, please explain in joined up words how this differs at all to the structure employed in SL with that game being contested at a neutral venue without the totally lame excuse of it is a "marquee event" In your own words "The championship GF is, in a way, more important" do you consider that only applies to one club?

As far as I am concerned this is not just about Toulouse or even Toronto before them or any other team that finishes top of the League, there is more than one team that has gone through the trials and tribulations of the season to win promotion, whoever the finalists are in my opinion the final should not be at the ground of any club, giving home advantage.

Albeit, I do feel though that if Featherstone were the expected League Leaders instead of Toulouse there would be much more of a neutral venue argument from some of the posters on this site.

Archived