John Bateman going back Down Under?

Sometimes things just aren't as black and white as some would like them to be.

I would actually like Bateman to go back to the NRL, I think he is better suited to the NRL than to SL.
Though with his reasons for coming back being seeing his Daughter, you'd imagine his personal circumstances would have to change for it to happen.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes I well remember you saying that, in fact we were in total agreement about JB's form at the time, his fans were saying it was just a blip, but that blip has turned into a low humming noise of mediocrity that has not improved has the season has gone forward.

How do you explain that 'Arry? He was a whizz over there.

he will turn this around he has been in and out of the team so far with injury, once a good 'un always a good 'un.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

24 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Interesting thought. In what way?

What do you think differs in the skillsets needed between the leagues?

Cheers

It’s not so much skill set. It’s more mindset. I think It’s more to do with motivation.

The NRL is the bigger competition, with far greater exposure. As we all know It’s a big deal in Australian sport.

Players have to be at their best week in week out (well, traditionally anyway, maybe less so over the last few years) and I think Bateman plays better in that pressured environment. It brings out the best in the type of aggressive confrontational player he is.

He was strong in his first spell at Wigan as that was arguably the best environment he’d been in till going to the NRL.

Maybe second time round the gap between where he was and where he is now is more noticeable and the motivation isn’t as strong.

Also, If his missus is pushing to return to Australia and he has the obvious pull of being here with his daughter, maybe having a potential decision like that to make is also playing a part in his performance.

Who knows, but I just don’t think things are as black and white as “he’s just average” just because he’s not been in the best of form since returning to SL. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

On 28/08/2021 at 17:34, Man of Kent said:

Triple M says a few NRL clubs are sniffing around John Bateman, who has an Aussie girlfriend. For some baffling reason, she’s said to be unsettled living in and around Wigan. Wests Tigers mentioned.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/ready-s-mail-cult-hero-eying-off-a-shock-nrl-return-185166

Having lived in both Wigan and Australia, I prefer Wigan so I'm struggling to understand.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

With his dip in form since his return here i don't think he will earn the same money there as before. My moneys on he wont go

Really, I would say there are a few NRL coaches who would believe they can get the best out of him, think of it like a golf handicap, once you have posted scores that are good, even if you lose form it takes a long time for the handicap to follow on down, some of those coaches will consider a tweak here and a nudge there of their expertise will have him right back in showroom condition.

Bet you a pint he does return? 

His girlfriend has been very vocal on her social media accounts saying it's complete rubbish and she's very settled in the UK. She's a lawyer and due to start a job at a firm in Manchester soon. Bateman also bought a house near Bolton when he returned - none of that points to him wanting an NRL return...although money does change things in a short career I guess. 

On 31/08/2021 at 20:58, Harry Stottle said:

Really, I would say there are a few NRL coaches who would believe they can get the best out of him, think of it like a golf handicap, once you have posted scores that are good, even if you lose form it takes a long time for the handicap to follow on down, some of those coaches will consider a tweak here and a nudge there of their expertise will have him right back in showroom condition.

Bet you a pint he does return? 

I'll take that bet, but you have to come to Hindley Green to pay it.

Don't worry, I will help with the border crossing.

Just to add the EastLondonMike's post, I think some players stand out in the NRL more than SL because what they do adds more at a particular time.  For Canberra Bateman provided an extra point of attack, and his willingness to try things made him a big point of difference for them in an otherwise very regimented system. 

Archived