London Broncos Wimbledon move?

A Dons Trust Board guy told me it’s still on but first game won’t be until next year. Planning permission took an age and the various issues with Covid and stadium tests - it’s been somewhat shambolic behind the scenes at Plough Lane - meant it wasn’t really worth it this year. 

8 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Just saw this I am actually at the Broncos now the Wimbledon manager is a guest today I am told:)

Paul

That's good to hear. Inviting him isn't the sort of thing you'd do if Hughes was about to pull the plug. I'm looking forward to visiting Plough Lane next year. 

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Just saw this I am actually at the Broncos now the Wimbledon manager is a guest today I am told:)

Paul

Would be interested to hear what ‘Robbo’ said. I’ve met him and he’s an impressive fellow.

He ran a successful business before being a full-time football coach and I know he is keen to learn from other sports, not least rugby. In fact, the former Fiji 7s coach Ben Ryan is part of the set-up at Wimbledon - you see him on the touchline at games.

I was at Broncos today. They seem confident that they'll be at Wimbledon next year. They've no presence there other than a container unit as far as I could see.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

we went and yes it was really empty.. Its hard when I compare it to the atmosphere and vibe of the 2015-2018 years, especially when we was playing in the super 8's.  Buck and Dusty, kids playing touch rugby at the pitch at 1/2 time, the guy coming round selling tickets for the time of 1st try etc.  Still have a lot of the programes from that period as well.

That looks like our last game (we can't make Fev, and at least right now we cant get to PL).  At least they sent us home with a smile with the comfortable win.

Be interesting how they price the tickets. What I can say is that people have shown this year £25 is a non starter, the product on offer is not worth £25, and PL is not an attraction like the olympic Stadium / Wembley / Spurs stadium.

My advice for 2022 seeing LB will be almost certainly Part time, would be to focus on attracting fans, and try and get the money spent on the bar \ food etc when inside.

I'd do £15 \ £5 (concession \ under 16) for the 2022 season, and hope the low price can bring people back. 

Then in 2023 maybe push to £20 assuming they can have started to rebuild the fan base and have a sucessful season (for 2022 winning more games than losing would be a sucessful season).

They price over £20GBP, they will be stuck with 400 ish fans, after the 1st game novelty has worn off. People will not pay 20GBP to watch a part time team be hammered by Bradford \ Fev \ Fax \ Leigh etc

35 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Be interesting how they price the tickets. What I can say is that people have shown this year £25 is a non starter, the product on offer is not worth £25, and PL is not an attraction like the olympic Stadium / Wembley / Spurs stadium.

My advice for 2022 seeing LB will be almost certainly Part time, would be to focus on attracting fans, and try and get the money spent on the bar \ food etc when inside.

I'd do £15 \ £5 (concession \ under 16) for the 2022 season, and hope the low price can bring people back.

Agree that the Broncos current pricing would be disastrous at Wimbledon.

You can be more sophisticated with pricing at Plough Lane. Perhaps £10-15 behind the sticks in the safe standing home end + away end, £15-20 in the posh stand. 

They will find it a challenge to fill 5 per cent of the seats as a p/t Championship team starting virtually from scratch. But good luck to them because London could (should) be such a rich resource for RL. I just hope the connection to the community game isn't jettisoned as part of the new regime.

Broncos won’t start till next year at Wimbledon, they aren’t running the team down. No point making the move to Wimbledon and doing that. I’m sure the use of the term ‘part time’ is probable, but only in the sense that some other Chump teams claim to be part time. 

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

6 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Needs a massive marketing plan and to engage in a whole new fan base as the old one has been totally destroyed.

Had a count yesterday (After Army/Navy players and officials who were there for the girls match) no more than 250 😞

Paul

Army/Navy are you sure?  Army played Cardiff Demons in the Womens Super League south Final.

One way of giving London Bronco's a (potentially) huge boost is to play the England v Jamaica game in London. 

3 hours ago, crashmon said:

Thought it was Scotland vs Jamaica... Unless your talking about next year

Yes the rumour is Scotland v Jamaica in Featherstone. I'm just arguing for promoting a game (England v Jamaica) which has a reasonable chance of a break-even crowd with a potentially sizeable knock-on benefit of bringing new fans (and participants) to London.

A double header, might reduce costs overall. 

Archived