Ken Davey

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Last sentence says Leigh have been relegated, not much been said about this so SL presumably want their 2021 sacrificial lamb to quietly slip back down into the Championship. 

Seems about right Whippy, for such an esteemed body of men that the SL Chairmen deem themselves to be I can never ever recall throughout this season not one of them publicly stating why they took such harsh and severe steps to any club that was going to step up from the Championship to help them to pacify SL with their contractual obligations has to how many games they could provide to be televised.

In retrospect I wish all the Championship clubs had turned them down, it would have made for interesting reading at least.

A few things on that: 

- I am pleased he is in the position he is in, as he is sensible and loves our game; 

- I agree with 2 leagues of 10 (and have long thought this was the way to go) - I would make sure there were cross league games every year, so that we knew there would always be a Bulls-Leeds, Leigh-Wigan, Cas-Fev game every year; 

- I agree that the owners should talk up the game, even if many of us are as despondent as we have ever been, and agree with their dire warnings; and 

- you may as well go to the bank as go to PE: there is no magic, they simply loan cash so you get a short term sugar rush paid for from “efficiencies” and “magic” improvements which good companies could have sorted out themselves. And then you have to pay the fiddler.

19 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

A few things on that: 

- I am pleased he is in the position he is in, as he is sensible and loves our game; 

- I agree with 2 leagues of 10 (and have long thought this was the way to go) - I would make sure there were cross league games every year, so that we knew there would always be a Bulls-Leeds, Leigh-Wigan, Cas-Fev game every year; 

- I agree that the owners should talk up the game, even if many of us are as despondent as we have ever been, and agree with their dire warnings; and 

- you may as well go to the bank as go to PE: there is no magic, they simply loan cash so you get a short term sugar rush paid for from “efficiencies” and “magic” improvements which good companies could have sorted out themselves. And then you have to pay the fiddler.

This is something I'd like to see. If the TV deal was for both leagues you'd have to make sure to only televise the local derby cross league games as there'd probably be a few blow outs in the less feisty games. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

You can keep changing the structure as much as you want but unless RL addresses the following key issues it will always wind up in the same predicament: 

- Take steps to have a national game with teams in major centres across the country 

- Greater visibility and meaningful competition for the England national team 

We will be back here in a year or two talking about the same issues if this two tens goes ahead. 

Again this comes down to vested interests, club owners like Davy aren't going to propose anything that's going to inconvenience them so him being the chairman and proposing 'solutions' is a problem 

FFS do people really want two small leagues with convoluted cross league games that will mostly have only one winner?

The sport is crying out for some stability and clarity of leadership and all we're getting are promises of more change, confusing league structures, less credibility and more loop fixtures.

Just stop it will you.

13 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

We will be back here in a year or two talking about the same issues if this two tens goes ahead. 

This is it in a sentence. We will probably introduce two leagues of 10 and then in a few years, the very people who introduced it will come out with their usual soundbites about how the sport needs to chance and how the 2 x 10 structure wasn't sensible.

30 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

You can keep changing the structure as much as you want but unless RL addresses the following key issues it will always wind up in the same predicament: 

- Take steps to have a national game with teams in major centres across the country 

- Greater visibility and meaningful competition for the England national team 

Again this comes down to vested interests, club owners like Davy aren't going to propose anything that's going to inconvenience them so him being the chairman and proposing 'solutions' is a problem 

Precisely.  Davy doesn't seem to understand that without both of the things you listed there the game doesn't have something which it can "talk up".

49 minutes ago, M j M said:

FFS do people really want two small leagues with convoluted cross league games that will mostly have only one winner?

The sport is crying out for some stability and clarity of leadership and all we're getting are promises of more change, confusing league structures, less credibility and more loop fixtures.

Just stop it will you.

FFS, stop being so petty. It’s a perfectly reasonable suggestion. I appreciate that you might find it too confusing. But I am sure some grown up would be able to explain it to you. 

49 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

This,

Presumably he was one if those who voted to short change a Championship club going into SL, are these people deserving of any trust in that has you say "proposing anything that's going to inconveniencing them"

..but too many fans complain at whatever anyone in power and authority says and does.  Of the 13 or so posts before this one,  8 have been negative and critical.  Whatever RFL/SL/Clubs come up with, the autonomous reaction is to dismiss it. 

2 minutes ago, daz39 said:

It's Ken Davy!!!!!!!...and he's right, he is a huge lover and supporter of our game and as says wht most fans feel.

Some owners just want the publicity for themselves rather than the good of the sport.

He is one of a collective that have been coming up with decisions and ideas for a few years now that it is like the blind leading the blind, all being protective of their own intrests, from those at the RFL looking after their own jobs, to the SL Chairmen protecting their own clubs, and I can't blame anyone of them for doing that has long as they are allowed to. So it will never change, get used to it guy's their will never be an independent body with no connections overlooking everthing from the community game, to each of the clubs and the respective leagues, to the international arena, and that is what supposedly should happen if the RFL is in charge, but Rimmer is not the right man, and the SL bosses would never allow him or anyone else to be soul in charge, we have got what we have got, accept what will come our way or protest with your feet, and even that will not change anything these people will be fighting over what scraps are left even then.

We always seem to find the solution in a new structure. Feels a bit like moving the deck chairs round on the titanic. A new structure may be positive but there are so many bigger issues to fix.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

51 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Clearly, people like Ken Davey have no place in our sport. Far to positive, invested and keen.  Far better to moan and groan and pick, like real fans.

No. We simply cannot have this short-termist, constant tinkering. It is really dangerous for the sport and unworkable for many of the clubs. 

As Hetherington said the other week, if we're going to make changes at least do some research on what might work, what fans think and what the consequences would be. 

They are proposing changes, supported it seems by not much more than what feels like a good idea - or an idea the interim head of SL has always rather liked - which will affect decisions already made by clubs or being imminently made about budgets and recruitment. It's no way to run a business, or a sport.

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

..but too many fans complain at whatever anyone in power and authority says and does.  Of the 13 or so posts before this one,  8 have been negative and critical.  Whatever RFL/SL/Clubs come up with, the autonomous reaction is to dismiss it. 

It is called expierience John, that has developed the autonomous reaction, how many times have we guided down a cul de sac by these people only to reach the bottom and have to turn back. It is a natural defence mechanism that makes everyone wary of their decisions or non decisions has is useually the case.

Ah so now they feel sorry for any team relegated from SL but the fact is those that do get relegated will either sink or swim and some will even come back stronger. The feeling amongst current SL chairman is one of protection as they know that there is a number of teams in SL that if they were to lose their place at the top table theres a good chance it would be those that sink.

Take Cas, Salford, Hull KR, and even Huddersfield a few years back, they all got relegated and have built and for the most part are better because of it. Teams like Halifax, Widnes, and Bradford lost their places and have found the level that they need to be playing at with Bradford and Fax getting their stuff together and hopefully Widnes follow suit. The game can not move forward when the top league is run by people that are all about self preservation rather than growth of the game.

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

FFS, stop being so petty. It’s a perfectly reasonable suggestion. I appreciate that you might find it too confusing. But I am sure some grown up would be able to explain it to you. 

Is it the answer then. Change the sport again. Follow the line of Super 8's, Licensing etc and have us back to square one again? Stability is key. Plus there are more companies than SKY out there.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I agree with his comments about talking the game down. 

There is no way I can agree with the logic behind 2 x 10s. Dumbing down the top tier to give more money to the 2nd tier,  which doesn't add an ounce of value to the TV deal, is just nonsense and is a route no other sport has gone down.

Also Davy always quite liking the idea and now being interim chairman is no reason to push this through. Decisions like that on the whim of one person is what led to more stupid decisions like the middle 8s. Have they researched this? Have they spoken to fans? Have they done any market research at all?

Archived