Real Time Player GPS Stats at Magic

Live GPS player data to be displayed this weekend, no indication on how this will look - I have an image of something from the matrix in my head but expect it'll be a ticker-tape style data stream at the foot of the screen. I'd like to believe the Sky commentators won't be too fascinated by it, they already seem to miss half of the game as it is. I know it's going to absolutely blow Phil Clarke's mind though.    

Real-time data to bring fans closer to the action (superleague.co.uk)

Will be interesting to see how this is presented as I've long been an advocate for us making far better use of data and statistics.

The biggest challenge we'll have is finding someone to quickly interpret and present in an interesting and engaging manner.

For example, I don't want to hear that Lachlan Coote covering nearly 10km means he's one of the fittest 31 year olds in the competition, I want to hear how it reflects his contribution to attacking plays and the fullback role.

Hopefully it helps add a bit more depth to the analysis at half time and after the game.

This could work really well if it is done properly. These are the kind of things that could improve the offering and viewer experience. I certainly don't think we do enough when it comes to selling our teams and players.

If done poorly though it could come across as very amateur.

Sounds good to me

We go on about appealing to different audiences etc, there are sports fans who do really love the stats. These people love new stats, stats based experts and opinions.

Yes its a bit niche, but its going to be. If its not for you, thats ok!

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Sounds good to me

We go on about appealing to different audiences etc, there are sports fans who do really love the stats. These people love new stats, stats based experts and opinions.

Yes its a bit niche, but its going to be. If its not for you, thats ok!

Exactly. A fun little add on for some, something a bit more serious for others.

Part of the background noise of "things happening" for the rest.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I suspect the data will be used the same as the do on Fox with the Telstra Tracker. So rather than a constant stream of data on the screen we'll just see tables of key data appear occasionally throughout the game.

Bill Arthur must be crapping himself having to use this, the guy isn't even able to name the right players who have hold of the ball or pronounce the players names correctly so god knows how he's going to cope with having to use player data analysis.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Does anybody seriously care ?

You have posted more than anyone on this thread, so clearly you do.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived