Matty Wildie

Hope not a backward step not good enough for the current squad and if we look to improve definitely not good enough in 22

10 hours ago, Rovers fev said:

Good player for us few year back 

very solid defence and a hard worker 

Exactly " A FEW YEARS BACK " 

If DEAN decides to go to the now full time thunder why bring in an old man hooker/halfback who's well past his sell by date may as just swap him for Beswick🤣

Personally I would train up Harvey S to become a new exciting hooker/halfback combo

14 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Cracking player at championship level.

However.... just suppose we beat toulouse in the final...... SL class? Not sure

I think the club is in a very difficult position, recruitment-wise. We can't just avoid offering anybody contracts for next year whilst we wait and see if we make it to SL. I think our policy will be to try and ensure we again have at least a top-end Championship squad for next year, with the hope of adding maybe five or six quality SL players if we do get promoted.

Obviously the first of those tasks will be much easier than the second, but I don't see what else we can do. We just aren't in a position yet to attract genuine, quality SL players.

It's worth pointing out that Wildie isn't the only signing for next year who might not be SL class. I mean, who doesn't love Luke Cooper, and many of us would have been gutted if we heard he'd signed for someone else, but is he any more "SL class" than Wildie? In fact of the others who have already signed for next year, it's very doubtful whether any other SL clubs would have been in for Hall, Kopczak, Ferres or Davies.

It must be fiendishly tough to plan for next season, but one thing that has certainly paid off for us this year is having a big squad and that's going to be essential for next year too regardless of which division we're in.

It's worth noting that the club has done a really good job in getting fringe players game time on loan this year - indeed, the parent of one player commented favourably on that on social media the other day, which was really good to read. It's probably sensible to try and retain about 20 of our current squad in the knowledge that some of them might be fringe players if we get to SL but could get game time on loan in the Championship next year. Given MC has said we would spend full cap if we got to SL, that would still leave a fair amount of our budget to at least have have a crack at signing a few quality starters if we did make it.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Looks like Parata may go to Newcastle because he can go full time with decent contract money.I just can't get my head round signing Wildie mid table Championship player at best.

Wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle signed some reight purlers for next season. They're going full time too

19 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle signed some reight purlers for next season. They're going full time too

They already have gone FT, made the decision mid-season. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

22 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Good luck to them a big city side who seem to have much more financial backing than us.Although we beat them easily Newcastle had the biggest set of forwards i have seen in the Championship this season.They held us for 20 min but then we were too quick for them.This season we missed out on Widnes and Swinton at home but didn't have to play Newcastle and Whitehaven away  so not a bad swap.

5 hours ago, POR said:

Hope not a backward step not good enough for the current squad and if we look to improve definitely not good enough in 22

Exactly " A FEW YEARS BACK " 

If DEAN decides to go to the now full time thunder why bring in an old man hooker/halfback who's well past his sell by date may as just swap him for Beswick🤣

Personally I would train up Harvey S to become a new exciting hooker/halfback combo

Agree with Spence his kicking game looked promising when he played for Oldham against us and in my opinion sometimes out kicking game lacks but I think any half decent hooker behind our pack would do well 

A bit puzzled by the apparent disdain for Wildie compared with the generally positive reaction to other resignings such as Cooper, Hardcastle, and Field. Wildie's a shrewd cookie, isn't as dynamic as Parata or Jones when running with the ball but is probably a better passer than either and is a really good decision maker from dummy half. He also defends well and can fill in at half back and every coach he plays for gushes about his positive influence.

32 minutes ago, Phil Briscoe said:

I wonder why there hasn’t been an announcement from the club about the signing with the usual drum roll and countdown on Twitter. Maybe they didn’t know the story was going to break. 

Most new signings seem to be broken by journos these days, though the odd one slips the net. Even the obscure Ryan Carr appointment leaked to the media!

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

A bit puzzled by the apparent disdain for Wildie compared with the generally positive reaction to other resignings such as Cooper, Hardcastle, and Field. Wildie's a shrewd cookie, isn't as dynamic as Parata or Jones when running with the ball but is probably a better passer than either and is a really good decision maker from dummy half. He also defends well and can fill in at half back and every coach he plays for gushes about his positive influence.

Completely agree with this. Like everyone I will be sorry to see Parata go but Wildie is a team player with a good football brain and for me a top Championship player.

1 hour ago, Phil Briscoe said:

I wonder why there hasn’t been an announcement from the club about the signing with the usual drum roll and countdown on Twitter. Maybe they didn’t know the story was going to break. 

you got to understand shaw got his info from the examiner who are not the most reliable of sources according to them last year we were definitely signing a wakey player who didn't sign and two lads we did sign were definitely signing for other teams 

12 hours ago, POR said:

you got to understand shaw got his info from the examiner who are not the most reliable of sources according to them last year we were definitely signing a wakey player who didn't sign and two lads we did sign were definitely signing for other teams 

"Shaw got his info from the Examiner", I'm intrigued to know how that works...🤨🤔

Archived