Newcastle to go full-time

SamDrew

Don't think it's been picked up elsewhere, but Newcastle's chairman Mick Hogan says that they're going to go full-time next season.

Interesting development, and you hope it doesn't go the way of Sheffield. But the noises of sustainability, genuine local development, and a rich owner that could "do a Toronto", all are good signs.

I know us rugby league fans are a dour lot, but is it OK to be happy with this news?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The people behind the club don't seem the types to rush into things, so I assume they have thought this through and costed it. Best of luck to them!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

The people behind the club don't seem the types to rush into things, so I assume they have thought this through and costed it. Best of luck to them!

Or taking a chance to give everything to finish in the top 20 in the pyramid next season as otherwise all the hard work goes down the pan?

Great for Newcastle though. Been to a few games there and really enjoyed them and the event. Really hope it works out well for them. 

10 hours ago, SamDrew said:

I know us rugby league fans are a dour lot, but is it OK to be happy with this news?

In answer to your question, by the looks of the response, you can take that as a `yes`.

9 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Fantastic news!! Newcastle Thunder are doing all the right things

You undermined your whole argument when you put those two exclamation marks there. 

Surely anyone with half an eye can see that Newcastle offer more to SL than a number of existing clubs.

Which clubs would offer more to SL in terms of interest,broadcasters,sponsors etc, Newcastle,York and London or Leigh,Salford/Huddersfield or Castleford/Wakefield.

I like all clubs for varying reasons and supporters should thank the various owners that have kept clubs going but for the greater good of RL/SL certain clubs have done little or nothing in 25yrs to justify their presence in SL so need to be replaced by new blood,that hopefully can take the game forward,particularly with broadcasters,sponsors.

Great news if this happens. For me Newcastle have done things the right way, building from the bottom up with a good junior set-up, getting everything in place as a part-time club before going full time and pushing for the top flight.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Huge gamble with not that many full time players to go around. Obviously the alternative is to offer the best part time players ridiculous money to convince them to go full time in the championship. It will be interesting to see how they go especially with a potential restructuring the season after.

11 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Or taking a chance to give everything to finish in the top 20 in the pyramid next season as otherwise all the hard work goes down the pan?

Great for Newcastle though. Been to a few games there and really enjoyed them and the event. Really hope it works out well for them. 

I'd imagine that's what it is. Might end up being an almighty scramble to make sure you finish top 8 or risk being cast adrift. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

The contracts they are offering some players is staggering for the championship.

Fair play to em. If they've got the money and are happy to spend it. I wished a few more locals would take to watching them on a regular basis and support what they are trying to achieve.

Contracts we are offering?..do you know something we dont 😅😀😃

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Easier to attract fans if you are playing Leeds, Hull and Wigan on Sky Sports than Swinton tbf. 

Yes, true, but some people will argue those aren't "real" fans.

Well done to Newcastle, got a long term growth plan which they are sticking to and it's working - quite a revolutionary idea for RL.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Huge gamble with not that many full time players to go around. Obviously the alternative is to offer the best part time players ridiculous money to convince them to go full time in the championship. It will be interesting to see how they go especially with a potential restructuring the season after.

As long as they're financially stable I don't think its a massive gamble. Hopefully Magic weekend continues in Newcastle to help generate more local interest and help them build their brand

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

19 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Discussed on a previous thread but take away away fans and free tickets, the core Newcastle support is 400-500. 

I think they had hoped to get this to 1k in championship. 

Excellent grassroots work but gates are a worry. Slight identity issue- do you push newcastle or North east brand? 

Why is it that any non-heartland club gets this thrown at them? Jealousy is a terrible thing.

18 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Discussed on a previous thread but take away away fans and free tickets, the core Newcastle support is 400-500. 

I think they had hoped to get this to 1k in championship. 

Excellent grassroots work but gates are a worry. Slight identity issue- do you push newcastle or North east brand? 

I as a non Newcastle fan would suggest that they push the Newcastle brand as opposed to a North East brand.

I think they have got a very bright future, and they can have the North East all to themselves which gives them a free run to gain new support.

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

Why is it that any non-heartland club gets this thrown at them? Jealousy is a terrible thing.

I don't think that's jealousy, it seems like a legitimate concern to me if they are going full time.  Nobody's suggesting that fan base can't grow, its just small as it is.

33 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I don't think that's jealousy, it seems like a legitimate concern to me if they are going full time.  Nobody's suggesting that fan base can't grow, its just small as it is.

There is nothing legitimate about plucking figures from thin air and banging on about free tickets and away fans. Listening to people its like other clubs never get an away fan despite many clubs being local rivals and within easy traveling distance.

Archived