Newcastle to go full-time

SamDrew

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

There is nothing legitimate about plucking figures from thin air and banging on about free tickets and away fans. Listening to people its like other clubs never get an away fan despite many clubs being local rivals and within easy traveling distance.

Ok will if the figures are wildly off, then I take your point.

What's the real local core fan base, approximately - do we have a sense?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, cookey said:

Surely anyone with half an eye can see that Newcastle offer more to SL than a number of existing clubs.

Which clubs would offer more to SL in terms of interest,broadcasters,sponsors etc, Newcastle,York and London or Leigh,Salford/Huddersfield or Castleford/Wakefield.

I like all clubs for varying reasons and supporters should thank the various owners that have kept clubs going but for the greater good of RL/SL certain clubs have done little or nothing in 25yrs to justify their presence in SL so need to be replaced by new blood,that hopefully can take the game forward,particularly with broadcasters,sponsors.

What they’ve done to justify their presence is get promoted / not get relegated. Do you want to kick Wigan and Saints out and replace them with London and Sheffield because they’re more attractive to sponsors? Maybe get rid of Wire too and get Bristol Sonics in? 

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Nice little set up at Newcastle remember the Union club was the result I think of a merger between Gosforth and Northern.

I think that would need to take the bigger games to St James Park to maximise things.

Paul

3-5k people rattling around St James’ Park would be awful, they need to concentrate on growing crowds at their own ground first. 

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What they’ve done to justify their presence is get promoted / not get relegated. Do you want to kick Wigan and Saints out and replace them with London and Sheffield because they’re more attractive to sponsors? Maybe get rid of Wire too and get Bristol Sonics in? 

Bizarre comment 

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Happy to take that bet that Toulouse are winning with you if you want it. 

I think they're the likeliest winners, and I'm a Fev fan. FWIW I'm equally uncomfortable with those think Fev are guaranteed to reach the final too. Just not comfortable with people talking as if it's an inevitability.

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Strawman alert. When have Wigan and Saints been near the bottom of the league and why did you cherry pick the two biggest teams when people are clearly talking about those perpetually at the bottom. Salford, Wakefield for example. Second, since clubs rigs the funding this year to make it harder for Leigh and only told them in December they were up, plus last season having no relegation, they haven´t justified their place at the bottom of the table for the last two years. 

Probably why they are now looking at 2 tens with stupid money for the second tier because clubs like Salford know that they are going to get shuffled out by the likes of Toulouse , York and Newcastle in coming seasons. 

Because people on this forum talk about Newcastle and York (and London and Toulouse) as if they’re the saviours of rugby league, just because they’re from places that people from outside the M62 corridor may have heard of. St Helens isn’t at all well known yet they are obviously an asset to the game, one of the biggest three clubs - the place is irrelevant, it’s about the club. 

26 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Strawman alert. When have Wigan and Saints been near the bottom of the league and why did you cherry pick the two biggest teams when people are clearly talking about those perpetually at the bottom. Salford, Wakefield for example. Second, since clubs rigs the funding this year to make it harder for Leigh and only told them in December they were up, plus last season having no relegation, they haven´t justified their place at the bottom of the table for the last two years. 

Probably why they are now looking at 2 tens with stupid money for the second tier because clubs like Salford know that they are going to get shuffled out by the likes of Toulouse , York and Newcastle in coming seasons. 

And regarding Salford, they’ve made two major finals in the last three years. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Because people on this forum talk about Newcastle and York (and London and Toulouse) as if they’re the saviours of rugby league, just because they’re from places that people from outside the M62 corridor may have heard of. St Helens isn’t at all well known yet they are obviously an asset to the game, one of the biggest three clubs - the place is irrelevant, it’s about the club. 

It isn't an either or though. Wanting Newcastle, London, York, Toulouse etc to grow and succeed should add more quality, diversity and competition to the established elite, not detract from them. Just look at Catalans...

And (unsurprisingly) I agree with your point re Salford. Our crowds aren't remotely good enough  but we've had recent success, look to be doing some very good work with Wales RL regarding pathways and are based in a major city. I'm an expansionist myself but it should be about raising the floor and expanding its area than creating 'us' and 'them'.

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Nice little set up at Newcastle remember the Union club was the result I think of a merger between Gosforth and Northern.

I think that would need to take the bigger games to St James Park to maximise things.

Paul

No merger, Paul. Newcastle Gosforth (later Newcastle Falcons) grew out of the Gosforth club and moved to Kingston Park. A section wishing to remain amateur split away and continue as Gosforth today. Northern have always been independent. The Gosforth (North Road) and Northern (McCracken Park) grounds were virtually opposite each other. Houses now cover the site of Gosforth's former North Road ground. The amateur Gosforth team play at Broadway West Sports Ground (on the other side of the A1 to Kingston Park).

Great to see Thunder taking another step forward. Given the progress of the North East ARL competitions, how long before Newcastle can field a team of North East-born professionals?

2 hours ago, Damien said:

There is nothing legitimate about plucking figures from thin air and banging on about free tickets and away fans. Listening to people its like other clubs never get an away fan despite many clubs being local rivals and within easy traveling distance.

As a season ticket holder at Newcastle for 10 plus years, I was hoping to offer a balanced view. 

The chairman notes Gates are a concern- it's a short to medium challenge to grow them to 1k paying a week. 

The community stuff is great- but will take time. It's great that the club are realistic and appreciate the benefits won't accrue for a number of years. 

I love what Newcastle is doing and the potential- and on other threads I regularly talk about the need to be positive- but growing crowds and income (so not reliant on owner) is important. 

The term newcastle or north east is one to think about. Newcastle most recognisable brand, but a brand which may put off Middlesborough, some durham and Sunderland residents.

Similar to man city fans not supporting Salford. 

It's a tricky one. 

Regardless hopefully plenty of paying punters Friday night

19 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

As a season ticket holder at Newcastle for 10 plus years, I was hoping to offer a balanced view. 

The chairman notes Gates are a concern- it's a short to medium challenge to grow them to 1k paying a week. 

The community stuff is great- but will take time. It's great that the club are realistic and appreciate the benefits won't accrue for a number of years. 

I love what Newcastle is doing and the potential- and on other threads I regularly talk about the need to be positive- but growing crowds and income (so not reliant on owner) is important. 

The term newcastle or north east is one to think about. Newcastle most recognisable brand, but a brand which may put off Middlesborough, some durham and Sunderland residents.

Similar to man city fans not supporting Salford. 

It's a tricky one. 

Regardless hopefully plenty of paying punters Friday night

Branding is, indeed, a tricky one. I worked in Middlesbrough for five years (in the 1990s). Hardly anybody in the North East regards Middlesbrough as part of the North East. And, to an extent, vice versa. Plenty in Middlesbrough still see the town as part of Yorkshire (which, historically, it was/is).

Hard to imagine anybody from the Sunderland area - and plenty of places across County Durham - supporting anything with 'Newcastle' in its name!

How extensive is the catchment of Newcastle Falcons RU's support?

11 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fair enough, can´t see anyone beating Toulouse in Toulouse . Should still be a good games in the playoffs with this structure, exactly how the playoffs should work tbh. No second chances, all the pressure. Whoever goes to Fev should have a cracking game. 

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/4/sport-news/105131/toulouse-olympique-22-24-rochdale-hornets

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Because people on this forum talk about Newcastle and York (and London and Toulouse) as if they’re the saviours of rugby league, 

Ah great stuff, this utter rubbish again. Amazing how often someone writes trash like this because some people dare think having these progressive teams in SL could have a good impact, though it's equally amazing that they are never able to find a single quote where someone actually claims they are the saviour of SL.

It will be interesting to see how Newcastle try and grow their crowds, I’ve always had a soft spot for them and follow them on Facebook, can’t remember if it was last year or this but they did a ‘newsflash - huge crowd today’ and I was expecting 3000 or something, instead it was more like 1100. Not a criticism but I’ll be watching closely to see what route they go down.

To me they are very similar to York - modern stadium, good hospitality setups, outside of the heartlands without being hours away, both clubs clearly have higher aspirations than where they are now, and both chairmen seem grounded and competent, there are no controversial ‘SL or bust’ or ‘we’ll be in the top flight within 3 years’ statements. But at the same time both clubs seem to have hit a line with home support. Newcastle’s is perhaps 700/800? York’s is around 1300/1400 (take away half that if the club were to be relegated). In my opinion free tickets aren’t the answer but then what is? 

I’m hoping for another close game between the two clubs tomorrow and a big crowd.

2 hours ago, Ray Cashmere said:

It isn't an either or though. Wanting Newcastle, London, York, Toulouse etc to grow and succeed should add more quality, diversity and competition to the established elite, not detract from them. Just look at Catalans...

And (unsurprisingly) I agree with your point re Salford. Our crowds aren't remotely good enough  but we've had recent success, look to be doing some very good work with Wales RL regarding pathways and are based in a major city. I'm an expansionist myself but it should be about raising the floor and expanding its area than creating 'us' and 'them'.

The Manchester area is expansion imho, as RL is such a minor sport in the area. A strong Salford would be a massive boost to the game. 

54 minutes ago, dkw said:

Ah great stuff, this utter rubbish again. Amazing how often someone writes trash like this because some people dare think having these progressive teams in SL could have a good impact, though it's equally amazing that they are never able to find a single quote where someone actually claims they are the saviour of SL.

People regularly say York and Newcastle should be in SL tbf. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The Manchester area is expansion imho, as RL is such a minor sport in the area. A strong Salford would be a massive boost to the game. 

I completely agree and that absolutely should be one of our main priorities. But so would a strong Newcastle, Toulouse, London, York, Coventry, Crusaders.

It's this desire to cut teams and cut Super League by some that is unhelpful not the desire for more (sustainable) expansion. 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

How many more chances do London need?

26 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

I completely agree and that absolutely should be one of our main priorities. But so would a strong Newcastle, Toulouse, London, York, Coventry, Crusaders.

It's this desire to cut teams and cut Super League by some that is unhelpful not the desire for more (sustainable) expansion. 

Agree completely, 12 teams is dull and small time, I’d like to see 14 and eventually 16 teams in SL. 

I also agree with the first bit, other than it takes people with money to do it, ‘we’ can’t do anything about it. 

Archived