Newcastle to go full-time

SamDrew

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Paraphrasing chief. 

Badly...

They can't save Super League, but they can contribute to it being a vibrant and expanding competition rather than a dull and contracting one. I'm not suggesting they should be parachuted in.

I'm still a supporter of a franchise model. Newcastle tick a few boxes for SL but the big one is whether they have the financial backing to sustain SL without relying on dwindling TV money. Come to think of it, that could apply to a few current residents of SL.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

The same question could be levelled at other clubs too.

Lets see how the insular posters on here react to my questions Damien. I sense not favourably. They fear expansion like some people fear dentists

How many chances has Bradford had since they started playing Rugby League?

How much growth does Wakefield and Castleford offer the game?

How many Sky sports packages were bought on the inclusion Leigh into Super League?

What does Salford offer Super League?

Their is growth for the game in areas where the established Super League clubs are, but they need to go out and get it

The big growth for the game is in places like Newcastle where you can attract new fans and new sponsors to the game

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Which teams don’t struggle with crowds after 100 years, in your opinion? Saints, Wire and Fev certainly - anyone else? 

The point is the big growth for the game is in expansion teams, and anybody who can't see needs to wake up and smell the coffee, but again i say certain clubs need to go out and do a bit more than they are doing to grow their brand and at the same time will grow the Rugby League brand'

The days when you could stick a poster in a pub and shop window saying when your next home game and the fans would turn up have long gone.

21 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Or taking a chance to give everything to finish in the top 20 in the pyramid next season as otherwise all the hard work goes down the pan?

Great for Newcastle though. Been to a few games there and really enjoyed them and the event. Really hope it works out well for them. 

I see it more of being mid table and looking what they need to do to move to the next level which is competing at the top of the championship. It doesnt mean they will pay over rated players etc just that they will operate a FT club.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agree completely, 12 teams is dull and small time, I’d like to see 14 and eventually 16 teams in SL. 

I also agree with the first bit, other than it takes people with money to do it, ‘we’ can’t do anything about it. 

Stick with 12 until its highly competative. 14 is the ideal number

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agree completely, 12 teams is dull and small time, I’d like to see 14 and eventually 16 teams in SL. 

I also agree with the first bit, other than it takes people with money to do it, ‘we’ can’t do anything about it. 

From what I've read and how the clubs have conducted themselves York, Newcastle, London and Toulouse aren't short of money. Granted Coventry and North Wales are further behind on their journey but there is a lot of optimism around the Crusaders again which is good for the game.

Personally, I hope Catalans go on and win the GF and France give England a competitive game in the Autumn so we can recognise what expansion can do for the game when it is done correctly. Their introduction to Super League should be used as a model.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

The same question could be levelled at other clubs too.

But posters on here keep saying they should be in SL. Why? Their attendances are appalling and if Hughes throws the towel in they are done. And before I get slagged off for saying so, I would have loved to have seen them be a success, but after 40 years of a nomadic existence how can anyone think that the public of London will start watching in their droves? Sorry, but for me it will never happen. Gates of 2000ish a couple of years ago when they actually had a decent side said it all.

8 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Gates of 2000ish a couple of years ago when they actually had a decent side said it all.

Gates of 2000ish at Ealing, chief. Ealing has 2200 seats - about half of which are at the away end - with the rest standing around perimeter fencing. A glorified park.

44 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Gates of 2000ish at Ealing, chief. Ealing has 2200 seats - about half of which are at the away end - with the rest standing around perimeter fencing. A glorified park.

Just as a matter of genuine interest, how many community clubs have the Broncos had a hand in starting?  I think that would be one measure to look at in how their overall development has been handled by the Club.

9 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

But posters on here keep saying they should be in SL. Why? Their attendances are appalling and if Hughes throws the towel in they are done. And before I get slagged off for saying so, I would have loved to have seen them be a success, but after 40 years of a nomadic existence how can anyone think that the public of London will start watching in their droves? Sorry, but for me it will never happen. Gates of 2000ish a couple of years ago when they actually had a decent side said it all.

How long have Salford been playing Rugby League?

What would Salfords gates be with away fans support at their home ground?

Where would Leigh and Warrington be without their benefactors?

On 01/09/2021 at 22:09, Futtocks said:

The people behind the club don't seem the types to rush into things, so I assume they have thought this through and costed it. Best of luck to them!

Didn't they apply to join SL in 2020 for the 2021 season along with a few other clubs, considering that would be straight from L1 with a team that Leigh could have given 50 points start, I would say that is a situation of trying to rush into things wouldn't you?

But good luck to them on their journey.

16 hours ago, dkw said:

Ah great stuff, this utter rubbish again. Amazing how often someone writes trash like this because some people dare think having these progressive teams in SL could have a good impact, though it's equally amazing that they are never able to find a single quote where someone actually claims they are the saviour of SL.

But that is mixing the Present and the Future into the same sentance, only a crystal ball can be of any benefit to say who's right and who's wrong.

14 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yes because they would grow themselves whilst expanding the commercial offer RL can make to TV companies whilst removing the complacency and stagnation at the bottom of the competition. I am confident that it won´t be Toulouse or Newcastle who get relegated should they ever go up. 

That´s the problem right now, the bottom teams in SL are like an anvil on the sport currently. 

Two statements of fact - in bold.

Have you got that mystical crystal ball I referred to above?

Then I love your last sentance - in italics, how your confidence ebbs away.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But that is mixing the Present and the Future into the same sentance, only a crystal ball can be of any benefit to say who's right and who's wrong.

You understand the meaning of the word "could" right?

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Just as a matter of genuine interest, how many community clubs have the Broncos had a hand in starting?  I think that would be one measure to look at in how their overall development has been handled by the Club.

Quite, vs the number of clubs in the heartlands that have died off...

Archived