Newcastle to go full-time

SamDrew

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Quite, vs the number of clubs in the heartlands that have died off...

Like I said in the "Structure" thread Tommy, I suggested that only teams that can afford and would be committed to spending on various aspects such as a raised Salary Cap, promotion of the club in the locality, an academy, and a budgeted amount to spend on the area's community game.

I believe If the funding recieved was given on proviso that a another substantial amount was added to each year and it was spent as directed and not just at the whim of each individual club to fritter away the game would not be in the mess it is now, and if that last one I suggested had been in place for a few years now we may have saved quite a few of those community clubs in the heartlands that have died off, just think of all the unearthed talent that might have been to bolster the pro ranks if they had still been in existance.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

London finally have a Super League stadium for the medium to long term in an area they have the potential thrive in. Whether that happens time will tell but there is a community and partner football club waiting to be engaged with.

Crowds at Trailfinders are a bit of a red herring as, even from South West London, I found it an absolute nightmare to get to. 

Newcastle are at a place where they can call home and they can and they will develop as a club,and prosper.

As for London well I think think if they find that Plough Lane is their forever home then they will in my opinion start to slowly prosper and thrive.

52 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Like I said in the "Structure" thread Tommy, I suggested that only teams that can afford and would be committed to spending on various aspects such as a raised Salary Cap, promotion of the club in the locality, an academy, and a budgeted amount to spend on the area's community game.

I believe If the funding recieved was given on proviso that a another substantial amount was added to each year and it was spent as directed and not just at the whim of each individual club to fritter away the game would not be in the mess it is now, and if that last one I suggested had been in place for a few years now we may have saved quite a few of those community clubs in the heartlands that have died off, just think of all the unearthed talent that might have been to bolster the pro ranks if they had still been in existance.

Indeed, the last deal was the only deal we've ever had that gave every Super League club the full salary cap in central funding, and millions more on top.

Those millions more have been spaffed up the wall. Well done everyone.

1 hour ago, Ray Cashmere said:

London finally have a Super League stadium for the medium to long term in an area they have the potential thrive in. Whether that happens time will tell but there is a community and partner football club waiting to be engaged with.

Crowds at Trailfinders are a bit of a red herring as, even from South West London, I found it an absolute nightmare to get to. 

Absolutely. 

Now that I’ve watched a few matches there, I am very optimistic about Broncos’ crowds at Plough Lane should they get back in Super League. 

It’s a stadium designed for supporters to mix and mingle. A Hull KR-style street food area is built in. The facilities are excellent, ideal for a summer sport like rugby league. In fact, due to alcohol laws, rugby league can make better use of the facilities than football. 

It’s not just the ground itself but the location. There are three train stations and three tube stations in walkable distance, with buses that drop off outside. And the area around has a lot going for it - either Earlsfield to the north, Tooting to the east or Wimbledon itself to the west.

It’s pwopa urban London, not sleepy suburbia with no trains on Sundays etc.  

Archived