Devon Sharks

Thanks to @Devon Ram for the report.

Sounds like a small band of enthusiasts holding together a team (rather than a club?) at the most grass roots level.

Hopefully this paragraph here should put paid to the usual TotalRL fantasists bleating on about "getting them into League 1" as is usually the case when anyone mentions a new team from outside West Yorkshire/Hull:

key players missing from the squad through holidays and union commitments. It was a much weaker squad than they would have liked.
As kick off arrived, the Sharks had a 16-man squad including Head Coach Ryan Chivers and Club Director, Phil Johnson on the bench.
Both teams struggled to settle, trying to play at pace, and spilling the ball with neither completing sets. The Sharks struggling with the heat and one of the players Tom Osborne, having already played a game of Rugby Union prior to this match,

4 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Sounds like a small band of enthusiasts holding together a team (rather than a club?) at the most grass roots level.

Hopefully this paragraph here should put paid to the usual TotalRL fantasists bleating on about "getting them into League 1" as is usually the case when anyone mentions a new team from outside West Yorkshire/Hull:

key players missing from the squad through holidays and union commitments. It was a much weaker squad than they would have liked.
As kick off arrived, the Sharks had a 16-man squad including Head Coach Ryan Chivers and Club Director, Phil Johnson on the bench.
Both teams struggled to settle, trying to play at pace, and spilling the ball with neither completing sets. The Sharks struggling with the heat and one of the players Tom Osborne, having already played a game of Rugby Union prior to this match,

This is the only thing you get out of all that?

8 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Wigan St Judes couldnt field a team in NCL last week due to players not being available, i would think they have 3 times more players to select from than Devon, are St judes a small band of enthusiasts? At least Devon played

9 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Let's take the negative out of it shall we 🙄 every club has to start somewhere and they seem to be doing great so far. I don't think anyone has suggested they should be in league 1

The Campaign to raise funds for next season has started.

ICYMI: Devon Sharks Monthly Draw has gone live.
A monthly chance to win money through Devon Sharks and Play Fund Win. The more tickets we sell, the bigger the pot becomes! The money we earn goes towards expanding the club including bringing back the junior teams, new U16s team and new 18s team.
Join today for as little as £5 per month or a one-off ticket!
Please share far and wide - #NoRugbyLeagueExperienceNecessar

10 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Let's take the negative out of it shall we 🙄 every club has to start somewhere and they seem to be doing great so far. I don't think anyone has suggested they should be in league 1

Wasn't being negative towards the club at all. Am delighted to see them up and running. 

Am simply making sure the same halfwits who think that Scotland needs to have a "semi pro" (LOL) team based on Edinburgh Eagles playing a couple of friendlies in Wallsend, or that some random village in France should be fastracked into playing in England etc etc.... Don't start doing the same for the game in Devon. 

51 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Wasn't being negative towards the club at all. Am delighted to see them up and running. 

Am simply making sure the same halfwits who think that Scotland needs to have a "semi pro" (LOL) team based on Edinburgh Eagles playing a couple of friendlies in Wallsend, or that some random village in France should be fastracked into playing in England etc etc.... Don't start doing the same for the game in Devon. 

I do get the point you are making. Takes a lot to move from having some enthusiasm for the game and having a group playing every summer to league 1. Took coventry 20 years to get there. A lot of people think it's easy, and it's not. There are clubs who make big statements about going professional etc without putting the work in. I could give plenty of examples but I'm not sure that's the case here 

59 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I do get the point you are making. Takes a lot to move from having some enthusiasm for the game and having a group playing every summer to league 1. Took coventry 20 years to get there. A lot of people think it's easy, and it's not. There are clubs who make big statements about going professional etc without putting the work in. I could give plenty of examples but I'm not sure that's the case here 

Has somebody who has watched them across South Devon i hope to see them in the Challenge Cup in the next 5 years that would be great has a Dewsbury fan luv to see the Sharks knock out Batley Lol

Archived