So who's going , and who's watching it on the ' box '

GUBRATS

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just showing my age there with that reference 😉

But seriously , I'll be there for the weekend , but not dressed in an inflatable T Rex suit this time 😁

So ' live ' , or on't telly ?

Lol, this thread is just screaming for stay at home comments like: No it's just a p***-up, typical RL exploiting fans, it's not in my season ticket, I'd go if it was at a stadium 2 miles from my house, farce event, it's just a glorified loop round, why do we play team x when (insert team I dont like) get to play team Y which is an easier game, blah blah blah.....

I'm heading up in a couple of hours, been to every one since they started.

Cats v Sts tie of the weekend for me.

I was in Newcastle city centre for 3 days this week on business, didn't see a single poster or advert for Magic. Loads for the Great North Run but nothing for this weekend. Nothing in the local rag either.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

I was in Newcastle city centre for 3 days this week on business, didn't see a single poster or advert for Magic. Loads for the Great North Run but nothing for this weekend. Nothing in the local rag either.

Yes, but are you going or watching it on the television receiving apparatus?

i'll be watching as much as I can on TV as I am not convinced that the risk of infection had reduced enough (age and health issues) 

No, I won't be there.  To be honest, I think it is just a glorified p***-up.  The fans get exploited for what is little more than a loop fixture, and I don't see why my team, the Dragons, have such a tough fixture (ie v. Saints).  I think it's all an RFL conspiracy to help Rhinos finish in a play-off berth.  Oh, hang on...

More seriously, I will be off to Lyme Regis on holiday, so have set the TV to record, but may well not watch them all.  I cannot go a whole week without knowing the scores and do not want to, so on return will maybe watch a small selection, including Catalans -v- Saints...if Les Dracs win!

27 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I know it's not the BBC's job to cheerlead for rugby league, especially when they're not covering the event (unless there's any highlights?), but I do think it's a problem when there's absolutely no mention of the event (as I type this, at least) on the rugby league section, let alone the main sports home page.

Surely there ought to be a 'Teams gearing up for Magic weekend' type article on there? There's got to be some story that they could run with/be given by the RL press department.

Is someone trying to get fit in time to play? Is there a match that will affect the title? Is there a story about the crowds and covid? Just some angle to get the event in the news. Magic is quite a big event, and yet from the sports pages, you wouldn't even know it was taking place.

Don't know if it's helped by the fact that we've missed a year or the repeated use of the clips of Miller's drop goal by Sky and Betfred during the build up but I'm buzzing ready.  Driving up at 7am on Sunday morning with a car load.  Pile into The Goose for breakfast and stay there till just before kick off.  Will stay to the end regardless of our result.  Although I only go for Wakefield's single day, I've only missed the Anfield one. 

Right up there with my annual pilgrimage to Wembley.  Only ever been to one Grand Final though as I find that to be just another club v club game rather than a shared  "Event"

I watch all Super League games on TV, either live or recorded, and on Saturday I'll be stuck in front of TV all day.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

48 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes, but are you going or watching it on the television receiving apparatus?

i'll be watching as much as I can on TV as I am not convinced that the risk of infection had reduced enough (age and health issues) 

I’m not a fan of a SL club so why would I be going ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I'm off to watch York City FC get pasted by a Leeds housing estate tomorrow, but hopefully will be able to watch some of the action. This will depend on me finding a pub that is i) showing the games and ii) not full to the rafters with ######-up idiots. Might be a tough ask.

17 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I’m not a fan of a SL club so why would I be going ?

The OP only asked a question: watching or going. I guess that staying a reason is optional.  Magic weekend is an event and I recall a number of posters stressing the need for events in our sport. I'm a fan of Wigan and would be going and watching teams that I am not a fan of. I've enjoyed a few Magic Weekends as a festival, a celebration of our game, meeting other fans, sightseeing around Newcastle too. Watched all the games, too.

Only been to the Newcastle version of Magic and love it.

I'm off with three mates on Train tomorrow for one night. Cheapest I could get months ago was £400! They were happy at £100 each but i have yet to tell them we are in one room King and Bunk Beds! And non of us are young anymore. 🤣 

Normally only watch FC, but going to Cats v Sts aswell this time. So maybe less drunk!

1 hour ago, TBone said:

Not attending. Covid is not over and I don’t see the point of risking my health and that of my family to watch a game live that is on tv.

Covid will never be over mate.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Covid will never be over mate.

Says the member of SAGE.  The risk is still high and you should respect those who choose to reduce the risk to themselves and others. It only takes one secret antivaxxer to spoil things for us all. 

Archived