Fri 3-Sun 5 Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Whitehaven have beaten Batley at the Mount which puts the cat amongst the pigeons a little bit. Haven arguably the number 3 form team in the league right now and if they sneak into the play-offs they'll fancy their chances of turning over whoever finishes third.

That is a very good result for Haven - definitely the team that has most outperformed expectations in British RL this year.

2 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Didn't Toulouse realise they would have to travel when they joined the ENGLISH RL ? Some fans make me laugh.

It's not the ENGLISH RL.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, Bulls2487 said:

After watching Toulouse today I can't see past them for Promotion to SL. Level above any other team we have played this season. Threats all over the pitch and defence is top class.

Marvellous, I am sure your observations are spot on. 

Having seen the highlights of the Bradford - Toulouse game, I'd say at least one out of Pelissier and Kheirallah won't be playing again this season. The tip tackle on a Bradford player was a fairly severe one, the player lifted well above the horizontal and seemingly thrown to the ground. Kheirallah was sin binned but it looked like Pelissier was at least as much to blame from the limited footage shown.

It was definitely "lifting player into dangerous position", which carries a grading from B to D, and I'd say qualified as throwing the player into the ground, which is a Grade D or E offence - Grade D carries a 3-5 game suspension and Grade E 4-6 games.

15 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Batley might be in with a shout. Crusaders if they get promoted would also have a word or two. 

Crusaders recruited very well, so I'm not entirely surprised to see them in the promotion frame.  Batley I was expecting to make the play-offs, although I guess they're still in with a shout of 3rd/4th.

I think most people here were expecting Haven & Oldham to be relegated, there was some talk that Whitehaven might win enough games at home to stay up. I think they only won 2 of the first 10 Championship games,  and then 8 of the last 10. 

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Having seen the highlights of the Bradford - Toulouse game, I'd say at least one out of Pelissier and Kheirallah won't be playing again this season. The tip tackle on a Bradford player was a fairly severe one, the player lifted well above the horizontal and seemingly thrown to the ground. Kheirallah was sin binned but it looked like Pelissier was at least as much to blame from the limited footage shown.

It was definitely "lifting player into dangerous position", which carries a grading from B to D, and I'd say qualified as throwing the player into the ground, which is a Grade D or E offence - Grade D carries a 3-5 game suspension and Grade E 4-6 games.

I can feel that is what you hope… 

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Crusaders recruited very well, so I'm not entirely surprised to see them in the promotion frame.  Batley I was expecting to make the play-offs, although I guess they're still in with a shout of 3rd/4th.

I think most people here were expecting Haven & Oldham to be relegated, there was some talk that Whitehaven might win enough games at home to stay up. I think they only won 2 of the first 10 Championship games,  and then 8 of the last 10. 

Dewsbury certainly gave Oldham hope of staying up, but this weekend's win for the Rams and defeat for Oldham has confirmed their relegation. 

Whitehaven have done really well, exceeding everyone's expectations, even their own.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Not sure which highlights you watched but the ones I saw Kheirallah wasn't even in the picture so I doubt he will receive a ban for that tackle.

22 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

London nearly bottle it vs Swinton.  London losing next week and could come down to final week of season.  

Think whoever plays fev or Toulouse is getting tonked so I'd take a playoff semi as a fantastic season for Bradford. 

Good to see Widnes turn it on before we play them next week. 

As have others this season.

27 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Can´t say I had Batley in Top 4 (Thought York or Widnes would be the last team, silly me). Yeah Oldham but I guess people forget how Swinton have overperformed with no cash for years. Ideally Haven will not want workington up to stretch that player pool. 

If I was betting now on next season I think it´s whoever comes up in the playoffs and Dewsbury who are most likely for the drop. But teams like Widnes and York cannot afford the starts they had or they´ll absolutely be in the mix. RL next year across top two divisions will have what it´s needed for a while, some jeopardy at both ends of the table. 

Dewsbury have been terrible this season, missed our two best attacking players Jason Walton and Adam Ryder for most of it, so next season should see us do a little better. Mind you I've said that before 😂😂😂

30 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Can´t say I had Batley in Top 4 (Thought York or Widnes would be the last team, silly me). Yeah Oldham but I guess people forget how Swinton have overperformed with no cash for years. Ideally Haven will not want workington up to stretch that player pool. 

If I was betting now on next season I think it´s whoever comes up in the playoffs and Dewsbury who are most likely for the drop. But teams like Widnes and York cannot afford the starts they had or they´ll absolutely be in the mix. RL next year across top two divisions will have what it´s needed for a while, some jeopardy at both ends of the table. 

Right now, I'd have London in your bottom 4 for next year.  They are really going to struggle based on what we are seeing happening on and off the field with them

1 hour ago, PECETTO said:

Ah ok …it must be that famous english fair-play. 

Not sure what you mean by that. It's not unusual to discuss whether players are likely to face a ban for future games, or are likely to be injured, because they are important to future events (we do it regularly about our own players on the Featherstone forum). We are fans, some of us take a detailed interest in these things.

36 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Not sure which highlights you watched but the ones I saw Kheirallah wasn't even in the picture so I doubt he will receive a ban for that tackle.

There were two men in the tackle, Pelissier is clearly one but the other is obscured apart from when he runs in to make the tackle. I thought Kheirallah was the other player based on his running style when he went towards the tackle but I might have been wrong, Kheirallah received the yellow card afterwards which may have been for something else such as running in of course.

I thought Pelissier was the one more at fault in the tackle but he didn't get the yellow card.

10 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Right now, I'd have London in your bottom 4 for next year.  They are really going to struggle based on what we are seeing happening on and off the field with them

I think I'd agree with that. They have been moderate this year and what's left of their talent pool looks like being stripped again.

There were two men in the tackle, Pelissier is clearly one but the other is obscured apart from when he runs in to make the tackle. I thought Kheirallah was the other player based on his running style when he went towards the tackle but I might have been wrong, Kheirallah received the yellow card afterwards which may have been for something else such as running in of course.

I thought Pelissier was the one more at fault in the tackle but he didn't get the yellow card.

It was Jussaume who missed the 1st tackle. I believe Kheirallah was binned in error, the ref brought him back on and Pellisier got the eventually 10 mins in the bin. Listening to the commentary at the time it all sounded it had gone a bit Harry Hatstand...the referee seemed to get a bit confused. Anyway, disciplinary panel tomorrow I think so no doubt we will get to the bottom of it all. As well Joe Bretherton's high tackle.

Edit... Actually looking at the stats, Killer was binned, but the commentary sounded like he was pulled back. All very confusing. Anyway, as he wasnt the one who did the tackle I can assume no charge will be brought. Pellisier however....

52 minutes ago, kiggy said:

It was Jussaume who missed the 1st tackle. I believe Kheirallah was binned in error, the ref brought him back on and Pellisier got the eventually 10 mins in the bin. Listening to the commentary at the time it all sounded it had gone a bit Harry Hatstand...the referee seemed to get a bit confused. Anyway, disciplinary panel tomorrow I think so no doubt we will get to the bottom of it all. As well Joe Bretherton's high tackle.

Edit... Actually looking at the stats, Killer was binned, but the commentary sounded like he was pulled back. All very confusing. Anyway, as he wasnt the one who did the tackle I can assume no charge will be brought. Pellisier however....

Definitely Jussaume wasn't involved in the tackle...he was standing nearby and although I am no expert on the Toulouse players nobody else in RL has a moustache like that!

I agree Pelissier is the one who is likeliest to face a charge. Disciplinary panel for Championship is on Thursdays btw (except maybe after the last game IIRC).

Definitely Jussaume wasn't involved in the tackle...he was standing nearby and although I am no expert on the Toulouse players nobody else in RL has a moustache like that!

I agree Pelissier is the one who is likeliest to face a charge. Disciplinary panel for Championship is on Thursdays btw (except maybe after the last game IIRC).

Yes, cracking upper lip growth, deserves a medal for that, along with the mullet. I thought he might have entered the European Mullet championship this year which is held in France. Belgian truck driver won that one.

Just consulted the Oracle who told me Killer was sent off for the spear tackle he didn't do. Eloi will be sent to the naughty step but it wasn't as bad as it looked, bloke was put on his back but got straight back up for a bit of handbags. Could have been worse though, a lot worse. Find out Thursday then.

Poor lad who got stretchered off looks likely to miss the rest of the season, which is not good news for him or the Bulls.

On 06/09/2021 at 13:08, The Phantom Horseman said:

Well, the results of the disciplinary inquiry are through. There were four Toulouse cases to be answered this week. Three of them - those against Ford, Kheirallah,and Bergal - were dismissed, and I must say I agree with all three decisions. There was no malice in Ford's tackle, Kheirallah was the less-involved of the two players in the tip tackle, and Bergal's just looked to be a bit of a pushing match.

But I have to say Pelissier is massively fortunate to receive only a caution compared with some of the bans that have been given for what seemed similar tackles. To me he lifts the player above the horizontal and doesn't pay much attention to how he flings him down, but maybe I'm over-reacting.

Incident is about 3:55 into this video. The onfield sentencing guidelines say that "lifting player into a dangerous position" should carry a penalty from Grade B (1-2 games) to Grade D (3-5 games), and "throwing a player into the ground" is Grade D or E (so between 3 and 8 games). Even if you don't think he threw him to the ground, it's difficult to see how he merely got a caution for the lifting charge.

Archived