Sat 4 Sept: SL Magic: St Helens v Catalans Dragons KO 17:15 (TV)

Who will win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/09/21 at 16:45

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to this - we should see who really is the best team in SL.

Neutral ground to see if Cats are the real deal this year.

Any idea how this weekends ticket sales have gone with Covid, lower league fans watching their own team rather than attending etc??

Game of the weekend though the result is largely irrelevant now. Even if Saints win Catalans will remain top courtesy of not having had as many games cancelled due to Covid so having a better win%. If Saints lose they'll still finish 2nd unless they then go onto lose both their remaining fixtures (and assuming Wire win all their remaining games as well).

Given the above I do wonder whether we'll see the same level of intensity from both teams as we would if this were a play-off game or a final ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

52 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Game of the weekend though the result is largely irrelevant now. Even if Saints win Catalans will remain top courtesy of not having had as many games cancelled due to Covid so having a better win%. If Saints lose they'll still finish 2nd unless they then go onto lose both their remaining fixtures (and assuming Wire win all their remaining games as well).

Given the above I do wonder whether we'll see the same level of intensity from both teams as we would if this were a play-off game or a final ?

And here i was thinking Cats were top because they had won the most games.... even if Saints had plated the same amount of games.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Incentive to finish first I reckon and not play Warrington in semi. Playing Leeds or Wigan is maybe  easier going on form etc. Top plays winner of 4v5 don't they? 

We played less than one month ago and won comfortably but this is a different game when you look at the team Catalans fielded that day and the one that they are fielding tomorrow.

Despite losing only two matches in Super League and being on course to top the table, Catalans seem to have gone under the radar. Especially compared to when Castleford unexpectedly won the LLS in 2017. It's probably a bigger game for Catalans than us, as it is they who win a trophy with victory tomorrow.

Really unsure which way it is going to go, wonder if a tougher game on Monday may go against us? Either way, I think these two sides have the ability to beat each other on a given day and, if we meet again in a Grand Final (big if, in my view), the result tomorrow will have little bearing.

Not often I back against my own team but this could be anything IMO. I don’t think that it will lack in intensity as both sides will want to put down a marker, that intensity might ease off if one side pulls away points wise.

I think that it is an important test for Catalans if they are to make the Grand Final. 

Hoping for a cracker. 

4 hours ago, barnyia said:

Incentive to finish first I reckon and not play Warrington in semi. Playing Leeds or Wigan is maybe  easier going on form etc. Top plays winner of 4v5 don't they? 

Do they not play the lowest ranked team after the first round. 

As most have inferred, this should be the game of the weekend.

"Most" obviously not including Toppy, who seems to continue with his negative slant on all things that he suspects are introduced just to put his beloved Saints at some sort of disadvantage.

Anyway, I hope it turns out to be the cracker that it promises to be.

If the RFL had any idea about marketing, they should make this the last game on Saturday rather than the middle one.

Because as it stands, I rather imagine it will indeed be...after the Lord Mayor's Parade...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

22 hours ago, barnyia said:

Top plays second first - I think - winner goes straight to final, then loser v 5, 3 v 4, losers out and winners play off for final spot. That's how it used to be.

17 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

As most have inferred, this should be the game of the weekend.

"Most" obviously not including Toppy, who seems to continue with his negative slant on all things that he suspects are introduced just to put his beloved Saints at some sort of disadvantage.

Anyway, I hope it turns out to be the cracker that it promises to be.

If the RFL had any idea about marketing, they should make this the last game on Saturday rather than the middle one.

Because as it stands, I rather imagine it will indeed be...after the Lord Mayor's Parade...

Will many Saints fans stay on for the last game? No good bringing bonafide Cats Fan's into the discussion, but got to agree, I think most would have stayed had this been the last game.

By the way re your post script, it doesn't matter what Jake Connor says, he is not fit enough to play Rugger, Mr Jones says so!

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Top plays second first - I think - winner goes straight to final, then loser v 5, 3 v 4, losers out and winners play off for final spot. That's how it used to be.

Not with this system. 1 and 2 get a week off and go straight into the semi final. Then 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 play off both losers out and the winners going onto play 1st and 2nd in the semis. 

5 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Not with this system. 1 and 2 get a week off and go straight into the semi final. Then 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 play off both losers out and the winners going onto play 1st and 2nd in the semis. 

Thanks Bob, not that it effected me very much being a Leigh Fan I havn't taken that much notice of it! I remembered how it used to be.

Love that Saints warm up top. Where can I get one?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

That was some try from Tomkins

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Surprised they didn't go the video ref for obstruction there

Why, the Saints player obstructing the Catalan player probably didn't give Catalan an advantage.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived