Sat 4 Sept: SL Magic: St Helens v Catalans Dragons KO 17:15 (TV)

Who will win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/09/21 at 16:45

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Typical RFL don't know their arris from their elbow. Another part of the RFL site says 2 matches for Paasi;

Disciplinary | Match Review Panel (rugby-league.com)

Following the latest round of Betfred Super League fixtures, the Match Review Panel have issued the following sanctions:

Agnatius Paasi (St Helens) – Grade C High Tackle – 2 Match Penalty Notice

Sam Hewitt (Huddersfield) – Grade B Forearm from Ball Carrier – 1 Match Penalty Notice

It's not the RFL as such but X players on the panel who make the decisions

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Is Langi ok? 

I think Catalans delayed the plane and waited for him to come out of hospital.  Twitter showed him on the plane with a thumbs up but apparently he was ‘heavily concussed’ on the pitch.

Got to say, Paasi lined him up with his right shoulder and really put some effort into it.  Liam Watts would’ve got 6 months for that!

14 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think Catalans delayed the plane and waited for him to come out of hospital.  Twitter showed him on the plane with a thumbs up but apparently he was ‘heavily concussed’ on the pitch.

Got to say, Paasi lined him up with his right shoulder and really put some effort into it.  Liam Watts would’ve got 6 months for that!

Why do you think Liam Watts would have got more than Passi?

37 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I think EW has summed it up perfectly.

If Paasi has got 2 games then fair enough but if we want to prevent head/brain injuries, that level of leniency will not discourage higher shots with a leading shoulder.  

As a game, we have to decide what we want.  Still playing lip service to player welfare.

1 hour ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Because certain players get heavier bans for offences when others don't. I no fan of Watts but he is one of them. 

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I think EW has summed it up perfectly.

If Paasi has got 2 games then fair enough but if we want to prevent head/brain injuries, that level of leniency will not discourage higher shots with a leading shoulder.  

As a game, we have to decide what we want.  Still playing lip service to player welfare.

It depends how you see it, many complaints the game is too sanitised.

People try to compare when in reality there's rarely any two situations the same, discussed in the videos about it 👍

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Because certain players get heavier bans for offences when others don't. I no fan of Watts but he is one of them. 

I don't believe its simply their name or who they are. It may be based on previous which does impact the ban.

Otherwise your suggesting the panel all think, just a minutes we don't like this person let's give them a lot more than others for no other reason.

2 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Because Watts doesn’t play for Saints. That was an awful attack by Paasi. If he had played for any club, other than Saints, that would have been season over.

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

Because Watts doesn’t play for Saints. That was an awful attack by Paasi. If he had played for any club, other than Saints, that would have been season over.

So why do the panel make different decisions for players who play for Saints?

Do you have evidence I can take forward that all Saints players are treated differently ? If so drop it on the YouTube video

8 hours ago, johnh1 said:

Oh dear john your not one of those that thinks that the RFL have always shown favouritism towards certain clubs are you. “My club is always penalised, but his club isn’t blah blah blah”.
There is no proof that Watts would’ve got more, but to be honest with you i haven’t really noticed him this season unless he’s been on Twitter. 
I think Leeds fan’s will be saying the same thing about Bentley in 2022 as being treated unfairly. Thats what a lot of Saints supporters think in 2021, he’s a marked man and is always getting penalised unfairly.
But im in the minority of Saints fan’s, as i think Bentley is a liability and i’ll be glad to see the back of him. 

11 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

It depends how you see it, many complaints the game is too sanitised.

People try to compare when in reality there's rarely any two situations the same, discussed in the videos about it 👍

I see it as players getting unnecessary head knocks caused by technique, that is avoidable, as inexcusable for RL, as a sport, to allow.  Their punishment has been issued but imo the level is hardly a deterrent.

Paasi stayed upright and hit Langi in the head with his right shoulder in an upward motion.  I see such technique having absolutely no part in our future. 

3 hours ago, Josef K said:

I think Leeds fan’s will be saying the same thing about Bentley in 2022 as being treated unfairly. Thats what a lot of Saints supporters think in 2021, he’s a marked man and is always getting penalised unfairly.
But im in the minority of Saints fan’s, as i think Bentley is a liability and i’ll be glad to see the back of him. 

I don't think your in the minority, this season Bentley has been a total liability to the point where Woolf will have to make a tough decision on whether to pick him or not, he's turned into another Willie Isa.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, M j M said:

It's more likely Bentley is operating under instruction.

I can just see the pre-match team talk now, Woolf to Bentley - "Right James i've got a challenge for you, do you think you can try and get yourself sin-binned and put the team under pressure in every match between now and the end of the season" 

Your just worried MjM that you'll hardly see him in a Leeds shirt due to suspensions. If he's like this now in a successful team imagine what he'll be like in a struggling mid-table team like Leeds

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I can just see the pre-match team talk now, Woolf to Bentley - "Right James i've got a challenge for you, do you think you can try and get yourself sin-binned and put the team under pressure in every match between now and the end of the season" 

Nah, Rugby League isn't just about avoiding getting sin binned. It's also sometimes about intimidating and putting the opposition off their game and some players have that as part of their role. There is a fine line but Woolf most probably wants his player to get after the opposition in exactly the way he is doing. You can't have one without the danger of him getting penalised on occasion but the overall contribution is definitely worth it.

Bentley is making a move between teams at a similar time to Peacock in terms of rising and falling trajectories, although I doubt Saints will fall as far.

27 minutes ago, M j M said:

Nah, Rugby League isn't just about avoiding getting sin binned. It's also sometimes about intimidating and putting the opposition off their game and some players have that as part of their role. There is a fine line but Woolf most probably wants his player to get after the opposition in exactly the way he is doing. You can't have one without the danger of him getting penalised on occasion but the overall contribution is definitely worth it.

Bentley is making a move between teams at a similar time to Peacock in terms of rising and falling trajectories, although I doubt Saints will fall as far.

Are there 2 James Bentley's, the one you think your getting certainly isn't the one currently playing for Saints. Bentley isn't an enforcer who intimidates, he's too small for that. He'd a niggly player who tries to just wind other players up a bit like Connor. Also like Connor he doesn't know when to hold back and loses his cool and more often than not gets penalised or sin-binned. You can try to deny it but the fact is unless he changes massively then he's a serious liability, and that's not a good thing for Leeds when you've already got the likes of Tetevano who are also a serious liability.

As for trajectories there's nowhere else for Saints to go given they're back to back champions. As for Leeds, I seriously doubt the signing's you've made are suddenly going to catapult them back to the top and its not that hard to improve from where they currently are, a mediocre, under-performing, mid-table team with an average head coach with a pretty poor track record of success.

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

Just watched the Paasi tackle in slo-mo.  Think 2 matches is about right - it's not one of those turn the shoulder and attack side on, he's front.chest on with Langi and tries to put a big shot on but gets it wrong.

Ah... so you don't take concussion seriously then.  2 Games is very lenient

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

As for trajectories there's nowhere else for Saints to go given they're back to back champions. As for Leeds, I seriously doubt the signing's you've made are suddenly going to catapult them back to the top and its not that hard to improve from where they currently are, a mediocre, under-performing, mid-table team with an average head coach with a pretty poor track record of success.

LOL I fear for your health next season 😄

Archived