Sat 4 Sept: SL Magic: St Helens v Catalans Dragons KO 17:15 (TV)

Who will win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/09/21 at 16:45

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

Just watched the Paasi tackle in slo-mo.  Think 2 matches is about right - it's not one of those turn the shoulder and attack side on, he's front.chest on with Langi and tries to put a big shot on but gets it wrong.

I’m all for the ‘big shot’ but not at the head.  He started at the head level and worked up higher.  

The question we have to ask is whether he had time to reposition.  IMO he had enough time to drop down and wrap his arms but Paasi chose to hit Langi high.  Lazy and careless effort.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I’m all for the ‘big shot’ but not at the head.  He started at the head level and worked up higher.  

The question we have to ask is whether he had time to reposition.  IMO he had enough time to drop down and wrap his arms but Paasi chose to hit Langi high.  Lazy and careless effort.

Yeah,2 games is very lenient but I’m sure he’s “not that sort” of player 😂

12 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I can just see the pre-match team talk now, Woolf to Bentley - "Right James i've got a challenge for you, do you think you can try and get yourself sin-binned and put the team under pressure in every match between now and the end of the season" 

Your just worried MjM that you'll hardly see him in a Leeds shirt due to suspensions. If he's like this now in a successful team imagine what he'll be like in a struggling mid-table team like Leeds

You are quite emotional aren't you, you have never got over all those Grand Final defeats. Get some therapy for your bitterness.

13 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Bentley out indefinitely with spinal ligament damage following Kasiano's crusher tackle.

Will have played his last game for us. Hopefully it isn't as serious as thought and it doesn't delay or impact his start to his Leeds career.

Well there you go, makes the Disciplinary committee truly look stupid again.

Bentley suffers a serious spinal injury as a result of an illegal crusher tackle and Kasiano doesn't even get charged let alone suspended

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Well there you go, makes the Disciplinary committee truly look stupid again.

Bentley suffers a serious spinal injury as a result of an illegal crusher tackle and Kasiano doesn't even get charged let alone suspended

Why does the injury mean the "Disciplinary committee" got anything wrong?

10 minutes ago, M j M said:

Why does the injury mean the "Disciplinary committee" got anything wrong?

Because crusher tackles are illegal in our game whether they are intentional or accidental, and arguably cause more serious, career threatening and long term injuries than a high tackle. Bentley suffered a spinal injury as a direct result of a crusher tackle yet the disciplinary chose to not even bother charging Kasiano.

I guess we'll have to wait & see the outcome of his scans & medical assessment to see whether its a short term injury he'll recover from or a long term one he may never fully recover from. But either way the fact remains the injury was cause by a tackle that has been deemed to be illegal under the laws of the game.

Saints may lose him for a few games but Leeds may lose him for an extended period as a result of Kasiano's illegal tackle. I take it as a Leeds fan MjM you have no issues then with possibly not having Bentley play for you for an extended period next year ?

16 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Because crusher tackles are illegal in our game whether they are intentional or accidental, and arguably cause more serious, career threatening and long term injuries than a high tackle. Bentley suffered a spinal injury as a direct result of a crusher tackle yet the disciplinary chose to not even bother charging Kasiano.

I guess we'll have to wait & see the outcome of his scans & medical assessment to see whether its a short term injury he'll recover from or a long term one he may never fully recover from. But either way the fact remains the injury was cause by a tackle that has been deemed to be illegal under the laws of the game.

Saints may lose him for a few games but Leeds may lose him for an extended period as a result of Kasiano's illegal tackle. I take it as a Leeds fan MjM you have no issues then with possibly not having Bentley play for you for an extended period next year ?

The MRP decided the tackle wasn't worthy of further punishment. I trust their judgement more than an agitated Saints fan.

I'm disappointed if this disrupts the start to his Leeds career but we've overcome bigger hurdles to win stuff.

9 minutes ago, M j M said:

The MRP decided the tackle wasn't worthy of further punishment. I trust their judgement more than an agitated Saints fan.

Which just goes to show how incompetent and inconsistent the disciplinary are. Bentley didn't crush his own neck/spine it was caused by Kasiano, and by the RFL's own laws its an illegal tackle and worthy of punishment by the disciplinary panel.

"Attacking player tucks his head and is part of the actions of the tackle in pulling the defending player onto him."

This was the MRP's version of events. I can generally take disciplinary decisions on the chin and prefer it when punishments are seen as too harsh, especially for high tackles.

I could accept the MRP's account if it said that Kasiano's tackle was an accident or even not worthy of punishment. But I find it hard to accept the implication that Bentley caused the incident.

12 minutes ago, M j M said:

And can you share with us your qualifications in judging the matter?

You don't need qualifications the outcome of the tackle is there for all to see.

Bentley received a potentially serious spinal injury as a result of a crusher tackle from Kasiaono. The RFL laws state this is an illegal tackle worthy of punishment by the disciplinary. But they chose to not even charge him for the illegal tackle that has resulted in an injury to an opposition player.

20 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

You don't need qualifications the outcome of the tackle is there for all to see.

Bentley received a potentially serious spinal injury as a result of a crusher tackle from Kasiaono. The RFL laws state this is an illegal tackle worthy of punishment by the disciplinary. But they chose to not even charge him for the illegal tackle that has resulted in an injury to an opposition player.

If he got two matches he'd still be free for the semi, he'll probably be rested against Huddersfield or Wigan anyway, 

22 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

The "outcome of the tackle" though is (should be) largely irrelevant to the decision making process.

In this case it wasn't deemed worthy of further sanction by people who look at this stuff every week, have studied all the angles repeatedly and actually know the protocols.

On 07/09/2021 at 08:37, Saint Toppy said:

I don't think your in the minority, this season Bentley has been a total liability to the point where Woolf will have to make a tough decision on whether to pick him or not, he's turned into another Willie Isa.

I've noticed your anti-Bentley stance has strangely coincided with his decision to join a bigger club in Leeds. He's no Isa.

He was arguably Saints' best in last year's Grand Final win, absolutely tireless in making a staggering 69 tackles. And he was integral to Saints winning their opening 6 matches before his injury in April. At 23, a massive loss for St Helens.

Bentley is a tremendous forward, potentially the 'new Bateman', and he'll be just fine under Richard Agar in 2022. 

4 minutes ago, Szymala said:

I've noticed your anti-Bentley stance has strangely coincided with his decision to join a bigger club in Leeds. He's no Isa.

He was arguably Saints' best in last year's Grand Final win, absolutely tireless in making a staggering 69 tackles. And he was integral to Saints winning their opening 6 matches before his injury in April. At 23, a massive loss for St Helens.

Bentley is a tremendous forward, potentially the 'new Bateman', and he'll be just fine under Richard Agar in 2022. 

My stance on Bentley hasn't changed in the slightest, he has his pro's and Con's.

Pro's - His effort & workrate in defence is tremendous and though he's not always the most effective 1 on 1 tackler due to his lack of size he's tenacious and stays in the tackle until the 2nd or 3rd man can come in and fully effect the tackle.

Con's - He doesn't offer a huge amount of threat going forward. He works hard and does his fare share of taking the ball up but rarely breaks the tackle or draws in multiple tacklers to bring him down. In this respect he's similar to Liam Farrell except Farrell has learned to run good lines and hit gaps rather than run at the tackler and try to bulldoze his way through. This is one area Bentley still needs to work on if he's to become more effective.

His other major Con is his discipline, he's a real penalty machine. He was last year when he had arguably his best season ever, but since returning from injury he's gone from bad to being a complete liability. He's a bit of a 'marked man' now with officials so if he doesn't massively change this part of his game he's going to find himself spending an awful lot of time sat on the sidelines through sin-binnings and suspensions.

Archived