BBC Sport website

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Catalans win the Super League 'league leaders shield' in the most incredible finish to a game I have ever seen. So the BBC have 11 other sports stories (obviously including women's cricket + football) above it on their sports home page. #southernwinkers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport

I’m not too fussed about the BBC or what they do, I’d privatise them in a heartbeat, but have just had a quick look and it’s not like any of the 11 that you mention are particularly big stories either. They don’t seem to have any idea that RL is a popular spectator sport. 

In a similar vein the BBC news at 10 sports bulletin featured Intl Football, Intl Cricket, Tennis, Womens Football, F1 and golf, but no mention of RL.. which is nothing new, and not at all surprising.

Though all the above, aside from womens football, were International events. Which should also tell us something.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just had a look at the BBC Sport homepage, and what do I see immediately?

A link to "Catalans produce astonishing comeback to beat Saints and secure Super League Leaders' Shield"

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

On my phone Saints/Cats is the fourth story on the BBC Sport page so not sure what the problem is.

There isn't a problem. That's the problem. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, clogdance said:

Catalans win the Super League 'league leaders shield' in the most incredible finish to a game I have ever seen. So the BBC have 11 other sports stories (obviously including women's cricket + football) above it on their sports home page. #southernwinkers

Yeah.

This isn't true.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, clogdance said:

BBC Sport HQ, MediaCityUK, Salford, Greater Manchester.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It’s run by London media types though, despite where they’ve moved to. 

Not really. Media types that live near London maybe.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Do some research about who runs the BBC? 

Oh give over. The reality is that it is many individual areas with different editors.

I heard a preview interview with a Steve McNamara on 5 Live throughout the day. The 5 Live sports editor will be completely separate to whoever is covering the website. It generally (rightly or wrongly) boils down to what they are interested in or think is an interesting story for it to get featured - not some massive conspiracy against league.

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’m not too fussed about the BBC or what they do, I’d privatise them in a heartbeat, but have just had a quick look and it’s not like any of the 11 that you mention are particularly big stories either. They don’t seem to have any idea that RL is a popular spectator sport. 

How many people outside of RL circles would see Catalans winning the LLS as a big story? 

The truth is, it's up to the sport to make itself relevant enough with enough of the public to earn the coverage that it thinks it deserves.

Modern media works on being spoon fed news via press releases. The RFL media department should have had a press release ready for a Catalan win, a Saints win or a extra time draw.

The one released would just need updating with a few match facts and then should be fired out to all the major news organisations.

JOb done and lazy journos and editors don't need to lift a finger.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

28 minutes ago, Padge said:

Modern media works on being spoon fed news via press releases. The RFL media department should have had a press release ready for a Catalan win, a Saints win or a extra time draw.

The one released would just need updating with a few match facts and then should be fired out to all the major news organisations.

JOb done and lazy journos and editors don't need to lift a finger.

Definitely, you want to give them content they can repackage and put out. They're working on short turnarounds they're less likely to cover something if they themselves have to do the legwork. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

9 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I think even that is down the pecking order now in favour of womens sport.

Just imagine if women could play rugby league

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Whoops

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

How many people outside of RL circles would see Catalans winning the LLS as a big story? 

The truth is, it's up to the sport to make itself relevant enough with enough of the public to earn the coverage that it thinks it deserves.

How many think women’s cricket is a big story though, or the women’s football league? Very few. 

Archived