BBC Sport website

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Didn’t the women’s Hundred just get large viewing figures though ditto football’s WSL?

Women's sport is the enemy now, it appears.

Which may come as news to participants in rugby league's Women's Super League or members of the England women's side.

But there we are.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

How many people outside of RL circles would see Catalans winning the LLS as a big story? 

The truth is, it's up to the sport to make itself relevant enough with enough of the public to earn the coverage that it thinks it deserves.

Your missing the point Michael, do you by now not realise we have "The Greatest  Game" why we don't have total national coverage from Lands End to John O'Groats from the Wash to the far West of Ireland, a televised game every night of the week, and wall to wall media coverage is one of life's great mysteries, seems like everyone else is thick except us who watch it😳

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Women's sport is the enemy now, it appears.

Which may come as news to participants in rugby league's Women's Super League or members of the England women's side.

But there we are.

Got to say that I watched part of the Everton-Man City WSL game on the BBC and the standard was much higher than my previous viewing of the same competition a couple of years ago.

Hopefully Rugby League can keep pushing it’s own product and can see that in time there can be a reward as the crowd at Goodison Park was decent.

In the meantime, our men’s game needs to take note of how growth is being achieved elsewhere as the demographic of the crowd I saw looked like families enjoying themselves without mindless hostility.  That to me used to be RL’s unique selling point.

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Hopefully Rugby League can keep pushing it’s own product and can see that in time there can be a reward as the crowd at Goodison Park was decent.

Can I just amend that for clarity please, instead of "can keep pushing" delete and insert "will start to push".

Some fans who have frequented Newcastle for the weekend games and those who have been in the recent weeks leading up to the Magic reported that there was no evidence anywhere in the city as to the weekends jamboree.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Can I just amend that for clarity please, instead of "can keep pushing" delete and insert "will start to push".

Some fans who have frequented Newcastle for the weekend games and those who have been in the recent weeks leading up to the Magic reported that there was no evidence anywhere in the city as to the weekends jamboree.

I’m talking more the women’s game than the men’s game, but I guess the comment is appropriate to both.

Just now, Bod said:

So when Catalan win the shield it's a big story, if you want RL to be taken seriously stop describing it as a hubcap when anyone else wins it.

My personal view is that the League Leaders Shield isn't much of a trophy worth celebrating but Catalans winning it, and the nature of how they achieved it, is worthy of note.

And the BBC website did note it.

So this really is a non issue (this time).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

My personal view is that the League Leaders Shield isn't much of a trophy worth celebrating but Catalans winning it, and the nature of how they achieved it, is worthy of note.

And the BBC website did note it.

So this really is a non issue (this time).

I agree with that. As things stand under the current format it is meaningless because the grand final winners are deemed to be the league winners. I really couldn't care less the times when my own club wins it. It's unfortunate, and as much as I love the Grand Final as an event, I do wish this wasn't the case.

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

In terms of coverage, women's sport certainly is, if not the enemy, definitely an opponent. It takes away lots of potential airtime and coverage. And plenty of it is undeserved, at least in terms of popularity and crowds. 

Why is Arsenal getting nigh on 10,000 for a Women’s Super League game undeserved?

33 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I didn't say that was.....but then again it's still hardly earth shattering is it? And given the amount of publicity and promotion the game gets from broadcasters, it's probably pretty carp. 

I used to object to RU getting unrealistic coverage and fawning over it. I aren't going to pretend pretty much the same thing isn't going on with women's football right now. 

You seemed to be suggesting it was unfair in some way?

By the way football’s Women’s Super League has had attendances in the 30 thousands previously which I’m sure our men’s game would be pretty proud of.

I do find the way some RL fans think there’s a conspiracy going on that deprives us of media coverage pretty laughable.

Would it not be better to actually examine what WSL and RU are doing with their product and the marketing of it rather than moaning about things being unfair?

37 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I do find the way some RL fans think there’s a conspiracy going on that deprives us of media coverage pretty laughable.

I agree. I don't think there's a conspiracy at all. It's just sadly the case that RL is mostly confined to one part of the country, and there aren't that many occasions (England matches and World Cups being such examples) where you can hope to attract much wider interest.

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You seem to be under the impression I'm suggesting there is some sort of conspiracy against RL? 

I'm just pointing out that, if we're honest, women's football has had coverage that the popularity of it hasn't warranted. Yes, after time and helped by all this uncritical coverage, it might achieve respectable crowds. 

But....(and this is without any mention of conspiracy) give RL similar coverage and it too will be more popular and get better crowds - it's natural.

I think it’s only natural that the BBC will cover things in accordance with their popularity and also to a degree the rights coverage that the BBC has of that sport.

Football’s WSL clearly growing in popularity and a real effort has been made to improve the product on the pitch through the import of players this year coupled with live rights to show games explains its profile on the BBC website.

RL’s popularity and lack of live Super League rights on the BBC probably explains the coverage it gets across its platforms which is good but obviously we would want more.

Just now, Johnoco said:

1) What came first though? Coverage and big promotion? Or popularity? I'd say the former with a view to achieving popularity.

2) As we saw with RU, the BBC would cover, at length, RU events that they didn't have the rights for, so it doesn't matter that much who has the rights if it is desired to push a particular thing. 

I think the BBC saw a positive trend in the growing popularity of women’s football and it’s coverage reflects that.

As for Rugby Union - which competitions are you referring to?

If Super League was shown live on the BBC then you would see more coverage on their website.

As it is we get a lot of coverage as a sport on the BBC given the current attendances and the fact we are exclusively live on a big commercial rival.

10 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Just for clarification, I have nothing against women's football whatsoever. But let's not pretend it achieved prominence due to genuine demand. 

It achieved growing coverage as it grew.

If Rugby League had live coverage of Super League and the Super League Grand Final on the BBC and had growing levels of crowds for both then you would see more coverage.

As it is we don’t, but we still receive plenty of coverage and most of it is positive and almost cheerleaderly.

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

How many think women’s cricket is a big story though, or the women’s football league? Very few. 

That's not really the point, and I think it's fair to take issue with these "what about women's football/cricket?" remarks because they are often made with an implication that these sports don't deserve the coverage they get, or that such coverage comes at the expense of RL. 

The truth is, not enough people care about Saturday's result to merit the BBC, in an era where writers are measured on traffic, click through rates and engagement, dedicating time to it. Even the interim chairman of the Super League couldn't even muster the energy to even feign enthusiasm for the result. 

This is RL's own doing. It hasn't created enough of a demand for RL content to encourage the media to dedicate time to it. That means the sport has to work harder and make it easier for the media to dedicate time to RL. There is a reason why it is called "earned" media and the question you have to ask is what, other than putting a game on, has RL done to earn that coverage? Was their even a media event in Newcastle ahead of this weekend?

And if you want to argue that women's football and cricket equally don't have demand - do you honestly think that the media outlets don't have the data and stats to justify the coverage? 

The BBC is not the problem here. There are 12 clubs employing at least 12 PR managers. The fault lies with them. 

21 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

That's not really the point, and I think it's fair to take issue with these "what about women's football/cricket?" remarks because they are often name with an implication that these sports don't deserve the coverage they get, or that such coverage comes at the expense of RL. 

I pretty much agree with all of this but I want to repeat *again* we have our own women's sport. It's called rugby league. If it really was as simple as some folk seem to think to get coverage of women's sport because snowflakes and political correctness then something more than the "not even halfassed" approach that the game has to the women's competitions would actually be a not bad idea.

But we can't even do that.

26 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

rugby league seems to have been removed from the main yellow choice headings!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on the bbc sport website or is it my lapop?

Oh, this one again.

Go back to bbc.co.uk or stop visiting from a foreign country or VPN and, lo, there it will be.

We do this at least once every three months.

On 04/09/2021 at 20:49, clogdance said:

Catalans win the Super League 'league leaders shield' in the most incredible finish to a game I have ever seen. So the BBC have 11 other sports stories (obviously including women's cricket + football) above it on their sports home page. #southernwinkers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport

Agree. It what we are up against.

Do your bit - complain (I hope RFL media guys do too)

Archived