BBC Sport website

Just now, Johnoco said:

It's happening because I've noticed it since I got into RL.

Well, I don’t think it plays the big factor you believe having worked in the media.

Far more pressure on delivering numbers and demographics than doing favours.

I do think the point made previously by another poster about making things easier in terms of preparing press releases, pre-made content etc is important too and can make all the difference.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, soulboy said:

Which ‘ media sports desks ‘ did you work for ?

Spent about 5 years working as a journalist in the media quite a while ago before quitting.

Mainly in commercial media for the now defunct emap who owned most of the commercial radio stations in the north of England and a couple in London.

Did news/sport interviews, news reading, news editor duties even a short stint on sports commentary.

You got any media experience?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Yes. How many people do you think are into club rugby Union, certainly not double the number that are into League but they get far more than double the coverage. And as I said I also think more people are into RL than the women’s premier league football but we get about 5% of the coverage that they do. 

Or it could simply be that God bestowed TGG to humanity and the golden legacy that was planned was shamelessly stolen by other sports,  mainly football by invoking the power of darkness and Satan.

avatars-BtzeI8WOT6PvQsKv-S2fFGw-t500x500.jpg

On 05/09/2021 at 09:18, Johnoco said:

I think even that is down the pecking order now in favour of womens sport.

NZ played Aus at the weekend, Bledisloe Cup, and there was barely a mention of it (I happened to see the last 10 minutes as I was flicking through the channels). Zero publicity beforehand, and hardly a peep after it was over.

Its astounding how far RU has fallen.

12 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I find womens RL pretty good and entertaining. I think it's miles better than women's football, which IMO is pretty rubbish. (Not merely because it's women)

It’s a tricky one this.

Women probably look better playing rugby league as throwing a ball to a teammate is something anyone with the most basic ability can do. Long passing sequences are common (unless someone has a brain fart and drops the ball). There’s also no power required in passing the ball, nor is there any power required for scoring (place ball on ground). Having never played the game before you could pick up the basics and become competent inside one training session. The big difference with the men of course is physicality and speed.

There’s just more requirements in football for women to look decent than in RL.

Having said all that I think in time it’s possible that women’s football could develop and become really good. It’s still in its infancy, and unlike a hand based game like RL (or RU) it will need so much time to come up to standard for women. It deserves to get that time as the development game was unfairly halted pre war.

13 hours ago, Johnoco said:

In terms of coverage, women's sport certainly is, if not the enemy, definitely an opponent. It takes away lots of potential airtime and coverage. And plenty of it is undeserved, at least in terms of popularity and crowds. 

Definitely ain’t undeserved. They quite rightly are getting their push having been denied it for so long. It anything it’s righting a wrong, and long overdue.

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

You seemed to be suggesting it was unfair in some way?

By the way football’s Women’s Super League has had attendances in the 30 thousands previously which I’m sure our men’s game would be pretty proud of.

I do find the way some RL fans think there’s a conspiracy going on that deprives us of media coverage pretty laughable.

Would it not be better to actually examine what WSL and RU are doing with their product and the marketing of it rather than moaning about things being unfair?

I also find the whinging over women’s coverage distasteful. Spiteful even. 

5 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I don't think it is chicken and egg. If we aren't able to command attention naturally, we have to work harder to make it easy for people to give us attention. 

That's why WSL and women's cricket get coverage. Not because they're benefitting from favouritism, but because they're making it easy for publishers to run content about them. 

I agree with 99% of your stuff, but not on this.

I think they are undoubtedly getting coverage above and beyond viewer demand, and justifiably so as I said previously. I probably wouldn’t use the word “favouritism” to describe what is happening, but there is a feeling of women’s sport being given a long overdue push.

To me women’s sport is a separate entity and the coverage shouldn’t be critiqued nor compared to men’s sport. Doing so looks like sour grapes.

29 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Most of these women's football teams didn't exist until relatively recently, so how where they meant to push anything? RL gets told to build genuine demand and the coverage will follow.....but this rule definitely hasn't been applied to women's football.

Arsenal (1987), Aston Villa (1973), Birmingham City (1968), Brighton (1990), Chelsea (1992), Everton (1983), Leicester (2004), Manchester City (1988), Manchester United (2018), Reading (1988/2006 depending), Spurs (1985), West Ham (1991)

(I'd count Reading as 1988 but they count themselves as 2006.)

So the vast majority are older by far than Catalans. That you didn't notice most of them until relatively recently doesn't mean they didn't exist. That's several decades of hard graft showing some modest success in coverage.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, DC77 said:

I agree with 99% of your stuff, but not on this.

I think they are undoubtedly getting coverage above and beyond viewer demand, and justifiably so as I said previously. I probably wouldn’t use the word “favouritism” to describe what is happening, but there is a feeling of women’s sport being given a long overdue push.

To me women’s sport is a separate entity and the coverage shouldn’t be critiqued nor compared to men’s sport. Doing so looks like sour grapes.

I think the point I'm stressing is that whether or not you think that the coverage of any sport or event you care to mention is "undeserved", it doesn't change the fundamental issue that RL really hasn't done all that much to deserve that coverage. 

Complaining about bias, favouritism, old school ties or whatever else you think is wrong with the world of media doesn't fix the problem. If RL has to work harder to overcome those challenges, then that's what RL needs to do. This is what the WSL and ECB are doing with women's sports - I've seen some of the activity they do and it's not surprising in the slightest why the media finds it easy to run with it. 

Even on SL's own social media channels, there really isn't a lot of content beyond in-game highlights. Not enough content building the event up, not enough content post event, not enough content during the event to really tell the story from the perspective of players, coaches and fans. If that's what the output is like on channels where SL controls the coverage, then you can only imagine what the media engagement is like. 

11 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I think the point I'm stressing is that whether or not you think that the coverage of any sport or event you care to mention is "undeserved", it doesn't change the fundamental issue that RL really hasn't done all that much to deserve that coverage. 

Complaining about bias, favouritism, old school ties or whatever else you think is wrong with the world of media doesn't fix the problem. If RL has to work harder to overcome those challenges, then that's what RL needs to do. This is what the WSL and ECB are doing with women's sports - I've seen some of the activity they do and it's not surprising in the slightest why the media finds it easy to run with it. 

Even on SL's own social media channels, there really isn't a lot of content beyond in-game highlights. Not enough content building the event up, not enough content post event, not enough content during the event to really tell the story from the perspective of players, coaches and fans. If that's what the output is like on channels where SL controls the coverage, then you can only imagine what the media engagement is like. 

Fully agree. Our output is generally pathetic. 

No build up on YouTube outside of their official podcast with has had guests such as Ade Gardner and Ian Blease on recently. Hardly players who we need to do more to promote and as the governing body, they should be able to speak to everyone they want to!

What a waste! 

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Today in "women's sport is definitely an enemy of rugby league" ...

That's really good news. I'm not getting into the politics of the thread but I certainly think that the game should be pushing the women's competition as much as possible. There is a lot of goodwill towards women's sport at the moment, whether you agree with that or not, and the RFL should be looking to take advantage of that.

I also think the women's game offers a much lower barrier of entry and much more scope for expansion in new areas. I would even divert a proportion of the TV deal to the women's Super League in the same manner as the Championship and League 1 to accelerate this growth.

19 hours ago, clogdance said:

This is the second post you've put up suggesting Women's sports big stories especially football should not be classified as big news on the BBC website. That comes across as vaguely anti women. 

Arsenal Women vs Chelsea Women,  youtube 114k views.

Looking at youtube Women's football that I personally find unbelievably boring, and poor quality gets huge numbers of views.

Women are totally deserving of having easy access and headline placings of their sports. The increased volume of Women's sport has probably been given a push by government's pledge to increase fitness in girls and encourage sporting activity,  but tbf if Women's sports dominated the headlines for the next 20 years it would only be righting a hitherto imbalance. 

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Looking at youtube Women's football that I personally find unbelievably boring, and poor quality gets huge numbers of views.

Women are totally deserving of having easy access and headline placings of their sports. The increased volume of Women's sport has probably been given a push by government's pledge to increase fitness in girls and encourage sporting activity,  but tbf if Women's sports dominated the headlines for the next 20 years it would only be righting a hitherto imbalance. 

Woman's football is at an amazingly low level, and more importantly is very poor to watch so doesn't deserve to be "big news" on the BBC web site. I will say though  woman's golf, cricket and tennis is at an amazingly high level so they deserve all the coverage they get.

I also think woman's RL is very good to watch and deserves more coverage and support - will be good to see what the BBC do with it in the RLWC next year.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

This is the second post you've put up suggesting Women's sports big stories especially football should not be classified as big news on the BBC website. That comes across as vaguely anti women. 

Arsenal Women vs Chelsea Women,  youtube 114k views.

How dare you, but I am able to define what really is BIG sports news, and what isn't. TBF i=with the BBC they generally they only make women's football a headline story, when there aren't any 'top level' men's games currently being played. But is that hypocrisy also ? I'll let you decide.

21 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Woman's football is at an amazingly low level, and more importantly is very poor to watch so doesn't deserve to be "big news" on the BBC web site. I will say though  woman's golf, cricket and tennis is at an amazingly high level so they deserve all the coverage they get.

I also think woman's RL is very good to watch and deserves more coverage and support - will be good to see what the BBC do with it in the RLWC next year.

As I said I don't watch women's football but the quality of it is irrelevant to why it makes headlines. It's popular,  fastest growing women's sport, so deserves its place in the media. If popularity was about quality then RL would be numero uno. 

Archived