BBC Sport website

13 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

If women's sport is getting more coverage than ever, what do we do to get more for our WSL?

Same as the men's game, broaden its appeal by broadening  its relevance,  it's got to expand into new locations.  How? That is the 64 million dollar question. Imagine if RL was the dominant code , and soccer nowhere,  with its top league the North West Counties League ( sorry don't know the actual name ),  and they tried to turn that into a national league of relevance by tinkering about and adding a French team or a Canadian but keeping all the Spennymoors and Bishop Aucklands, we'd all laugh. RL SL is brilliant,  fantastic,  but it is what it is,  fantastic competition for Northern Union breakaway teams, it needs radical reform. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Women have been playing sport for umpteen years, there are numerous genuinely world famous female sports stars. 

But there has never been a serious demand for women's football. It hasn't attained coverage through hard work, just piggy backing onto men's teams and competitions. 

The obvious example given in reply to such nonsense as your ignorant statement is to point out the 50,000+ crowds that women's football achieved prior to being banned in 1921.

But England women aren't pulling 12m viewers for World Cup matches by piggy backing but because people actually want to watch.

It's a concern for rugby league that so many of their supporters are sour old men who genuinely believe the world was better forty odd years ago.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Johnoco said:

It's also a concern for RL that many of their fans hold the game in such low esteem they believe any old cobblers the BBC push at them and insist RL is not worthy.

Nobody is saying that RL is not worthy.

We're saying the solutions to the low profile are more likely to be found within rugby league's own actions than in moaning about preferential treatment for others.

The BBC appear to be bidding to show 10 live games a year. Which would be an odd thing to do if they had no interest in rugby league.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 08/09/2021 at 18:00, Damien said:

That's really good news. I'm not getting into the politics of the thread but I certainly think that the game should be pushing the women's competition as much as possible. There is a lot of goodwill towards women's sport at the moment, whether you agree with that or not, and the RFL should be looking to take advantage of that.

I also think the women's game offers a much lower barrier of entry and much more scope for expansion in new areas. I would even divert a proportion of the TV deal to the women's Super League in the same manner as the Championship and League 1 to accelerate this growth.

Not in here there ain’t. Lots of sour grapes and green eyed monster though.

Besides women’s sport rightly getting a long overdue push having been held back by discriminating means in the past (thus the normal reaction is to wish them well), the sobering truth for the whingers is women’s football generates more interest than RL.

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The obvious example given in reply to such nonsense as your ignorant statement is to point out the 50,000+ crowds that women's football achieved prior to being banned in 1921.

But England women aren't pulling 12m viewers for World Cup matches by piggy backing but because people actually want to watch.

It's a concern for rugby league that so many of their supporters are sour old men who genuinely believe the world was better forty odd years ago.

100%.

In my view, there is a clear link between the prominence and promotion  of a sport right across the BBC and the tv rights it has purchased. Add to that the BBCs right-on woke agenda designed to attract younger viewers who are deserting it in droves. 

Our sport is never going to fit that agenda, but we could get more prominence if we could sell some more TV rights to them above and beyond the Challenge Cup (which the BBC covers pretty well).

In the end, though , it's up to our game to push itself. Perhaps we need to find a current or past player with the charisma, presence and eloquence of Alex Scott.

The BBC have also made a commitment to showcase the league to even more viewers by showcasing 22 live games per season, with a minimum of 18 matches on mainstream, free-to-air channels, BBC One and BBC Two. Previously, games have been shown live on BBC iPlayer and Red Button.

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

In my view, there is a clear link between the prominence and promotion  of a sport right across the BBC and the tv rights it has purchased. Add to that the BBCs right-on woke agenda designed to attract younger viewers who are deserting it in droves. 

Our sport is never going to fit that agenda, but we could get more prominence if we could sell some more TV rights to them above and beyond the Challenge Cup (which the BBC covers pretty well).

In the end, though , it's up to our game to push itself. Perhaps we need to find a current or past player with the charisma, presence and eloquence of Alex Scott.

The BBC have also made a commitment to showcase the league to even more viewers by showcasing 22 live games per season, with a minimum of 18 matches on mainstream, free-to-air channels, BBC One and BBC Two. Previously, games have been shown live on BBC iPlayer and Red Button.

It’s a woke conspiracy I knew it!

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

There is no right on woke agenda.

But you know that already.

Just now, Eddie said:

There quite obviously is tbf. 

Because there’s a story about a woman footballer on the BBC sport site and Johnoco hasn’t heard of her?

On 06/09/2021 at 20:36, Johnoco said:

You won't find me disagreeing on most of those points. I think RL can - and must- get it's act together. 

But none of this changes the fact that some sports are favoured more than others. That is just the way it is.

It's very much chicken and egg this. RL will not get the clicks or views without being promoted by the BBC....so does this mean there isn't demand? Or that it isn't getting the right push? We'll never know. 

I agree with this. I understand @whatmichaelsays point on this, but I think they take it a bit far.

I think RL has to work much harder than other sports to get its fair share - and that is where RL deserves the criticism, we often don't do the bare minimum. 

But I fully agree that we are not a favoured sport. 

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There is no right on woke agenda.

But you know that already.

Even if there was, I don't understand why we couldn't tap into that as a sport. 

Women's RL and things like PDRL and LDRL along with initiatives like State of Mind etc could absolutely leave us at risk of being criticised for being wokies by those who think it is a negative. 

Unfortunately we let ourselves down in other parts like being soft on racism and sexual assault on the pitch. 

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Even if there was, I don't understand why we couldn't tap into that as a sport. 

Women's RL and things like PDRL and LDRL along with initiatives like State of Mind etc could absolutely leave us at risk of being criticised for being wokies by those who think it is a negative. 

Unfortunately we let ourselves down in other parts like being soft on racism and sexual assault on the pitch. 

Some seem to think that covering those means the we're not concentrating on the men's game outside SL.

I await the big money offers for then.

There was a pretty good article written by Karen Carney about the growth in Women’s Football.

It didn’t detail the strategy but did talk about how small crowds and stadia had hurt the perception of the sport as a TV product.

My view is we should be listening and learning from their experience as to how they’ve achieved such growth instead of crying foul play and making snidey digs.

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Its noticeable that you keep mentioning things like ‘woke’. But I have not mentioned that angle once,

I used it because JohnM specifically said that there was a right-on woke agenda.

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You’re ok with this because it makes you feel good and you can rebuke anyone who can see things differently and label them as (insert some latest political drivel name)

I'm okay with it because a couple of stories on the BBC website - none that I can see currently, incidentally - is hardly a flood and because if we were doing it by strict popularity and clicks then all 16 boxes would be filled with Premier League gossip, as pretty much happens on sites driven by the need to please advertisers.

5 hours ago, Johnoco said:

This is getting pretty tiresome now. Can we put something to bed please? There are no ‘sour grapes’ or jealousy or green eyed monsters, at least not from me.

When you say ‘womens sport’ you mean ‘women’s team sports’ which have not been much of a thing until recently (yes I’m aware they have existed but they weren’t much of note) There are numerous female sports stars in the world and always have been.

But if you take off your own blinkers and be honest, you will see that women’s football has been pushed and marketed way above its actual popularity.
I looked at the BBC sports website during this last night and the top story was about the women’s champion league and that some player has scored 100 goals. This was presented as if it was a real major story and the women’s CL was on a par with the men’s, when in fact I’d be amazed if anyone outside the clubs involved and the people into women’s football would either know the player or have a conversation about it at work or in the pub. All this is bogus….there is not currently the genuine interest that is being made out. But hey, if they continue doing this, that player *will* become well known and people on here can say that they are featured because they are famous, so get with the program dinosaur.

I am not ancient but quite old and in all my life I have only known a handful of girls into football at all and of those, (the ones I am still in regular-ish contact with), I can’t think of one who has ever talked about the women’s game. My sister for instance is a life long football fan but has absolutely zero interest in the women’s game. Her words? “It’s bloody rubbish”

But anyway, carry on trying to tell me I think this because I’m a woman hating dinosaur or something (possibly include something about Brexit?)

What’s astounding (in addition to this post) is that two people actually liked it. 

“Take off my own blinkers and be honest, women’s football has been marketed way above its popularity”.

Is this in response to what I said on this thread?....”I think they are undoubtedly getting coverage above and beyond viewer demand, and justifiably so as I said previously.”

Ok I’ll take off my blinkers now and admit what I’ve said umpteen times before.

Besides this nonsense, referring to demand is pointless as their coverage in the league is not based on that. It’s self evident, so self evident it’s absurd to bring it up. 

So leaving aside the non issue that is demand, your issue (and the other whingers) is you don’t agree with women’s sport getting a push. I and most others disagree as they (in this case football) have been held back and discriminated against in the past, that their development has been hampered. Is the standard that great now? No, but that’s not the point. You have to start somewhere.

6 minutes ago, DC77 said:

What’s astounding (in addition to this post) is that two people actually liked it. 

“Take off my own blinkers and be honest, women’s football has been marketed way above its popularity”.

Is this in response to what I said on this thread?....”I think they are undoubtedly getting coverage above and beyond viewer demand, and justifiably so as I said previously.”

Ok I’ll take off my blinkers now and admit what I’ve said umpteen times before.

Besides this nonsense, referring to demand is pointless as their coverage in the league is not based on that. It’s self evident, so self evident it’s absurd to bring it up. 

So leaving aside the non issue that is demand, your issue (and the other whingers) is you don’t agree with women’s sport getting a push. I and most others disagree as they (in this case football) have been held back and discriminated against in the past, that their development has been hampered. Is the standard that great now? No, but that’s not the point. You have to start somewhere.

Has women's sport or football been held back or discriminated against by the media? I'm not aware that it has. It was by the FA but I'm not sure if that is grounds to justify pushes by the media. If it was then other sports could make similar demands of the media due to outside discrimination.

Just now, Damien said:

Has women's sport or football been held back or discriminated against by the media?

I think it's still the case that women's sport accounts for about 5% of all sports coverage in the UK media.

So, you know, I think the answer is fairly obviously, yes.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think it's still the case that women's sport accounts for about 5% of all sports coverage in the UK media.

So, you know, I think the answer is fairly obviously, yes.

That is a completely meaningless statement and does not mean discrimination.

Is women's Rugby League being discriminated against because it doesn't get the exact same coverage as men? Your logic dictates that it is. Please answer honestly then extrapolate that against various sports that get the majority of media attention.

This thread isn't about who does or doesn't like, follow, support  etc womens football. There are, though, in my view, lessons we can learn and actions we can take from the BBC coverage of women's football.

1. They have a schedule to fill.

2. They can't afford much in terms of top level sport.

3. They have a story to tell about the sport.

4. There are some powerful advocates of women's football.

I'm sure we can address those points in relation to  our sport.

Archived