magic attendance?

kev p

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

35,104 which sounds very good although of course it’s the usual reality of there only ever being so many people in the ground at the same time 

12 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

That is very decent, 25k tomorrow hopefully, 60k overall would be pretty good considering the circumstances this year. 

35k was a good effort yesterday, the Sunday games are a tougher sell so 25k+ and a 60k overall would be a great result in the attendance slump Covid times. Another city is going to have to put in a very strong bid including a too good to turn down financial incentive to take this event away from Newcastle imo 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

If Toulouse get into SL, Magic should be 2 separate Saturdays in the Year. 1x Newcastle and 1x France.

For the SL clubs going to France, 2 of them can play Toulouse and Catalans the following week (and maybe the other 2 the week before) so fans can make it a holiday. Toulouse v Catalans headlines the French Magic and it can be held at a large 40-50k venue.

It is obvious that Saturday always out performs Sunday in a 2-day magic weekend which shows there isn't a glut of neutrals or fans staying the whole weekend. Newcastle could then go all out to try and get 45k+ for that Saturday.

Mix the teams around so they can experience both over the years.

I like the idea of 2 separate magic events, the Saturday is always far more popular than the Sunday.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Cardiff Average 61k ish

Newcastle Average 66.5K ish

+9% Growth

Let's face it over 14 years that is next to nothing. It's not even keeping up with UK population growth in that time. Its certainly not keeping up with attendance growth in other sports. The sport needs far more growth than that and should be aiming far higher. The last Newcastle attendance was only a couple of thousand more than the last one in Cardiff, hence why it was moved to Liverpool.

Like so much in RL there was nothing strategic about Magic. It started because Cardiff offered money for it. It copied the NRL double header concept and extended it. RL fans think Magic is an example of big time when neutral sports fans think the opposite, namely that it shows a lack of confidence to sell out even double headers in big stadiums and even at that people see a ground that often isn't even a quarter or half full. It has then moved to new locations, as attendances fell in each, to then entice fans to try somewhere new to keep it fresh. The sports administrators thinking that is the solution rather making it better and widening the appeal. 

Fans seem to like the booze up and weekend away element and I've enjoyed Magic myself but I've always been ambivalent and pragmatic about it. I have yet to see any figures regarding the monetary benefits to the sport and the attendance is often what we would get for an average weekly attendance anyway, possibly less when the same people watching over 2 days are taken into account, with much the same fans. As someone that dislikes loop fixtures and would much rather have a straight home and away format I certainly wish that it didn't exist in its present form, as an extra loop fixture, but that's a wider debate.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Cardiff Average 61k ish

Newcastle Average 66.5K ish

+9% Growth

As an event it is popular and a success but clearly pretty much static. Your statistic is misleading because you leave out  the situation whereby the first and previous Newcastle event was almost identical and the current one will be a drop on that. You could make an argument for the initial event having a novelty factor which extracted people that possibly did not attend future events but the event was established in the location which should at least in part offset that. This weekend will most likely see a drop below the average for Newcastle

I'm OK with Magic staying in Newcastle and in its current form.

With the Thunder doing well and grass roots growth in the region, even if Magic doesn't attract a huge number of locals, it will raise the profile of the game in the area and that is no bad thing.

If we don't see a big Challenge Cup semi final crowd then the Magic Saturday and Sunday attendances are likely to be the 3rd and 4th largest of the domestic season.  It seems weird that many people want to bin that off.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Anybody who is suggesting Derby needs to stop drinking. Right now. Grim city. Grim pubs. Grim stadium. And that’s coming from someone who has lived in Leigh their entire life.*

*Currently travelling by train to Newcastle having driven all of 14 minutes from home, and that included a Maccies detour

Pride Park is quite a distance from the centre. Also, as with a lot of small UK cities the centre is dead.

It should stay at Newcastle and build it up as an event. It needs more marketing in Newcastle, as when the NFL is on in London.

1 hour ago, Swansea Jack said:

I wish that Sky cameras would show more of the supporters enjoying themselves outside and inside the ground. Instead of the continuous prattling of the studio experts.

It is the supporters who make the game.

They did have a go, showing the Pig chasing the Butcher was funny. 

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

We're not going to have two magic weekends. Clear answer is Newcastle play someone to make is 3 games a day whilst Toulouse and Cat take their 3rd game on the road in France  (Mon, Avignon, etc).

Do you really think Sky are going to send a whole technical and presentation team over to France. It is a TV event that Sky actually enjoy because they get 6 games in one venue, giving them great value for money as their production costs are vastly reduced.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

Do you really think Sky are going to send a whole technical and presentation team over to France. It is a TV event that Sky actually enjoy because they get 6 games in one venue, giving them great value for money as their production costs are vastly reduced.

I think his idea (different to mine) was to have a single French derby on the road in France, with Newcastle Thunder providing the sixth magic game and hopefully a lot more local fans. Not a terrible idea.

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

25,762 in today

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Overall weekend attendance of 60,866

I don't think there is anything wrong at all with these numbers given the circumstances. 

Of course, following this with a full house for England vs. Samoa to kick off the World Cup next month would have been perfect but I am just winding myself up now.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Overall weekend attendance of 60,866

That is a great overall attendance considering all the current difficulties and a good rebound from the disappointment of Liverpool. In normal times this weekend would have been on the same level as other magics in Newcastle I would imagine.

Seems to have followed a similar pattern to when it went back to Cardiff after being in Edinburgh for two years. Two disappointing attendances in Scotland, went back to Wales, rebounded well, difference then of course was it was moved away from Cardiff again. I agree with others when they say it should be kept in Newcastle for the foreseeable future. 

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think his idea (different to mine) was to have a single French derby on the road in France, with Newcastle Thunder providing the sixth magic game and hopefully a lot more local fans. Not a terrible idea.

So Sky, who it is obvious have no interest in lower league games, are offered a game they have no interest in showing whilst a good derby game at the level they want to show are told "fek oof".

We really now how to treat our broadcast partners with that one.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

15 hours ago, Padge said:

So Sky, who it is obvious have no interest in lower league games, are offered a game they have no interest in showing whilst a good derby game at the level they want to show are told "fek oof".

We really now how to treat our broadcast partners with that one.

I think they covered Toulouse v Toronto in the Championship when it was included in Magic a few years ago.

This is one of the reasons the new 20 sl structure will be licensed. No Newcastle in top 20 would be the wrong direction.

Newcastle v Bradford to make the 6th game wouldn't be too bad a replacement.

Or as Magic is our festival event should it become the 9s comp with all 20+ represented?

1 hour ago, Racks said:

This is one of the reasons the new 20 sl structure will be licensed. No Newcastle in top 20 would be the wrong direction.

Newcastle v Bradford to make the 6th game wouldn't be too bad a replacement.

Or as Magic is our festival event should it become the 9s comp with all 20+ represented?

If you do 9s you have to do it properly with clubs committed to playing a number of top stars and some real prize money - like £250k to the winners. Then you will see the clubs and fans take it seriously. 

If only magic was marketed to anything other than hardcore RL fans.

I called a friend (an RL fan) on the way up Saturday and he didn’t even know it was on. That’s literally criminal.

People who go obviously like it, Newcastle as a city is amazing & unique but why isn’t it marketed?

Some people go in fancy dress, just encourage this make a competition for the best outfits per club and then an overall winner per day. Throw a few bands in there inbetween games half time, it’s not rocket science and wouldn’t cost the earth, the more I write the more I become annoyed as the whole weekend could be amazing.

Filling that ground both days really shouldn’t be hard to a competent organisation.

Why do SL clubs not understand the word “event?”

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Roughly what we could expect for a Bradford v Leeds game in the early 2000s.

#progress 

Or we can look at the positives (i know you hate positive RL thinking)

- Overall crowd over 2 days was very good and no worse than other years.

- Just coming out of Covid and some fans including some on here have said they don't feel comfortable attending games this year so were going to give it a miss this year.

- Short notice of date confirmation - to book hotels and a weekend away etc

- it wasn't a bank holiday weekend so Sunday was never going to break any records.

All I saw were 1000s of fans enjoying themselves and some amazing games of Rugby - must have realy upset you fryingman.

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Roughly what we could expect for a Bradford v Leeds game in the early 2000s.

#progress 

Tbf neither Bradford or Leeds were playing...

There is a problem with Sundays at Magic, and that is a problem that is magnified in the final game of Sunday.

Magic works in Newcastle due to the room in the stadium , anything less than 45,000 will be too crowded , all IMO of course , and you will never get all the fans staying for all the games , we did three over the weekend , wouldn't have done more than that 

9s ? 😂 , Best of luck 

1 hour ago, northamptoncougar said:

If only magic was marketed to anything other than hardcore RL fans.

I called a friend (an RL fan) on the way up Saturday and he didn’t even know it was on. That’s literally criminal.

People who go obviously like it, Newcastle as a city is amazing & unique but why isn’t it marketed?

Some people go in fancy dress, just encourage this make a competition for the best outfits per club and then an overall winner per day. Throw a few bands in there inbetween games half time, it’s not rocket science and wouldn’t cost the earth, the more I write the more I become annoyed as the whole weekend could be amazing.

Filling that ground both days really shouldn’t be hard to a competent organisation.

Why do SL clubs not understand the word “event?”

yep,

another way to look at it is that each day their were 6 clubs, thus 6 sets of clubs fans each day.    Not sure given the numbers it attracts really significant numbers of the existing fans of the clubs. Their is the first issue... then take it from their to at least get more existing fans. That then helps create an event from which we can target new participants.

Yep some great games and a good advertisement for our sport - except that it was only to the existing main fans of our sport and some of their families that in the main would have watched. So despite the great games whom else saw it at the stadium or on Sky.

I would assume whatever marketing capability RFL/SL have that they know from where the attendee's came from, those existing or members of same family and new fans and fans from the Newcastle area. Does the information from that small marketing exercise get published and if so we can then tell if its meeting the objectives of SL as distinct from just meeting the objectives of Sky.

Obviously covid has had an impact this year, but the above applies to previous events.

Archived