magic attendance?

kev p

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just for the record here magic Weekend in Newcastle isn't really a family event , it's an adult booze event , there ere very few kids in attendance 

It very much has that vibe but so too does the Grand Final. When we talk of attracting the next generation of fans its very unfortunate that two of our major events are far from family events.

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

It very much has that vibe but so too does the Grand Final. When we talk of attracting the next generation of fans its very unfortunate that two of our major events are far from family events.

This is key... IMO we need to move away from booze fuelled events to attract a new audience. We're supposed to be a family sport!

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Maybe this makes it hard to attract neutrals as the stadium and town centre is basically adults on the ####. 

Now that Rugby AM in a stadium gazebo is no more exactly what is there to draw families to the event?

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Maybe this makes it hard to attract neutrals as the stadium and town centre is basically adults on the ####. 

Now that Rugby AM in a stadium gazebo is no more exactly what is there to draw families to the event?

Have you not been to a football or cricket match recently??

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Just for the record here magic Weekend in Newcastle isn't really a family event , it's an adult booze event , there ere very few kids in attendance 

A letter in League Express saying the event was spoiled for the writer with what can only be described as  Lager louts. 

13 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

A letter in League Express saying the event was spoiled for the writer with what can only be described as  Lager louts. 

If it was lead by a Scottish person with a Danny Brough t-shirt on shouting that the NRL was far better than the SL drivel on show..... then I think he posts on here....🤔

4 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

If only magic was marketed to anything other than hardcore RL fans.

I called a friend (an RL fan) on the way up Saturday and he didn’t even know it was on. That’s literally criminal.

People who go obviously like it, Newcastle as a city is amazing & unique but why isn’t it marketed?

Some people go in fancy dress, just encourage this make a competition for the best outfits per club and then an overall winner per day. Throw a few bands in there inbetween games half time, it’s not rocket science and wouldn’t cost the earth, the more I write the more I become annoyed as the whole weekend could be amazing.

Filling that ground both days really shouldn’t be hard to a competent organisation.

Why do SL clubs not understand the word “event?”

I think there's a real question to raise over what SL wants Magic to be. 

A - Is it an "event" that we want to use as a real hook for new audiences? 

B - Is a part of a geographic expansion plan? 

C - Is it just another round of games, with the added hassle of travel thrown in. 

I think the truth is that SL wants to think it is A, pretends that it's B and sells it like it is C. 

If it is C, then fine, but make it something that really sets it apart from the other 2-4 times a year that Leeds might play Hull and Wigan play Warrington. 

If it's A or B (or even D or E), it needs rethinking in terms of what it offers and how you take it to market. No amount of extra advertising changes what the product fundamentally is and who it fundamentally appeals to. 

6 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I think there's a real question to raise over what SL wants Magic to be. 

A - Is it an "event" that we want to use as a real hook for new audiences? 

B - Is a part of a geographic expansion plan? 

C - Is it just another round of games, with the added hassle of travel thrown in. 

I think the truth is that SL wants to think it is A, pretends that it's B and sells it like it is C. 

If it is C, then fine, but make it something that really sets it apart from the other 2-4 times a year that Leeds might play Hull and Wigan play Warrington. 

If it's A or B (or even D or E), it needs rethinking in terms of what it offers and how you take it to market. No amount of extra advertising changes what the product fundamentally is and who it fundamentally appeals to. 

D , just a cheap round of games to fill in a couple of quiet days on SKY 

Having been to SJP several times, as an NUFC fan, and considering the layout of the ground; it wouldn’t hurt SL/the organisers to have a family zone… the Leazes end has an excellent family/games zone on Level 5 with various games, consoles, food areas etc etc.

Sell £20 family tickets to all local schools and community RL clubs across the country and I imagine you’ll suddenly see hundreds of families take advantage knowing it’s a ‘safe’ zone with family at the heart of its offer. 

The Gallowgate/strawberry corner could offer your cheaper, lager lout, stag/hen day out and the rest of the stadium serves itself price wise.

An additional thought I had over the weekend…

There we’re championship and League one games as well as junior internationals - why!? Surely there’s 2,000 or so fans at these games who’d otherwise be inclined to attend Magic if there was a blank weekend so that magic was standalone.

On the Friday, along with a Thunder game have a junior international double header with Wales vs England and Scotland vs Ireland. Give all players 4 free tickets to Magic on a day of their choice and you’ve instantly brought the event to parents/aspiring players from afar as Belfast, Dundee, Cardiff, Pontypridd and London.

9 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Having been to SJP several times, as an NUFC fan, and considering the layout of the ground; it wouldn’t hurt SL/the organisers to have a family zone… the Leazes end has an excellent family/games zone on Level 5 with various games, consoles, food areas etc etc.

Sell £20 family tickets to all local schools and community RL clubs across the country and I imagine you’ll suddenly see hundreds of families take advantage knowing it’s a ‘safe’ zone with family at the heart of its offer. 

The fallow gate could offer your cheaper, lager lout, stag/hen day out and the rest of the stadium serves itself price wise.

It isn't the stadium that is really the issue , it's Newcastle itself , it's a party , student , stag and hen venue , our hotel the jury was full of stag parties , the receptionist was telling a group of fans as I was waiting on Saturday , our floor had loads , heard them coming in really late on both nights 

And again the cost , it makes Blackpool look cheap 

7 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

The Gallowgate/strawberry corner could offer your cheaper, lager lout, stag/hen day out and the rest of the stadium serves itself price wise.

An additional thought I had over the weekend…

There we’re championship and League one games as well as junior internationals - why!? Surely there’s 2,000 or so fans at these games who’d otherwise be inclined to attend Magic if there was a blank weekend so that magic was standalone.

On the Friday, along with a Thunder game have a junior international double header with Wales vs England and Scotland vs Ireland. Give all players 4 free tickets to Magic on a day of their choice and you’ve instantly brought the event to parents/aspiring players from afar as Belfast, Dundee, Cardiff, Pontypridd and London.

I think there's a lot to be said for splitting up the ground into sections. Yorkshire cricket did something similar to change the pretty notorious reputation of the Western Terrace and it seems to have made a difference. The stand now has a family block, an alcohol-free block and a "party" block.

I know that people will tend to want to buy tickets with their own clubs fans, but you can so both. 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

It isn't the stadium that is really the issue , it's Newcastle itself , it's a party , student , stag and hen venue , our hotel the jury was full of stag parties , the receptionist was telling a group of fans as I was waiting on Saturday , our floor had loads , heard them coming in really late on both nights 

Earplugs next time?

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Some of the older ladies & younger girls who work in the office’s at the company i work for, went to the MW for the weekend. They said “they’d had a nice time up to a point, but fan’s from a couple of opposing clubs really got in their faces when Catalans got the DG near the end. So much so they felt intimidated and had to move seats to get away from the boozed up aggressive men & women.
A couple of the diehards will still be going next season, but for those who went for the event and the weekend they won’t be. The ones who won’t be going in 2022, they wasn’t even really that bothered if Saints had won or lost. They just wanted to have a good time with friends, sadly there’s always someone who has to spoil it. 

27 minutes ago, Josef K said:

How much do the SL/RFL make out of these events, i never see how it works out financially for them.

The host cities pay a fee to Super League for the right to host the event. When you get several cities bidding, like we have done recently, the value goes up and up.

I think the recent posts about alcohol is problematic for us.

For a while we have tried to focus on kids, with cheap and sometimes free tickets and it is clear there was plenty of success with that. You see more kids than many other sports. 

However we have seen a real shift over the last 10 to 15 years. We now play games at times which don't work for young kids - very few Saturday and Sunday family events to be found in SL these days. 

We then have our three main events (Cup Final, Grand Final and Magic) as out and out boozeathons. I enjoy a drink and often attend games having a few beers, but more and more if have had events ruined by absolutely hammered people. All three of those events have real challenges around Booze, particularly Magic and Grand Final. 

Whether we like it or not, we have a fan base from some pretty rough working class areas, and groups of men and women from some of those places with 10 pints in them can be intimidating, swear, messy and dangerous. 

They are managing this in cricket with family zones, and I really think every ground in RL should have that, either with no booze or a zero tolerance to drunks. 

I often hear that crowds can mix well and are friendly, but I think we overstate that. I've seen more violence at RL major events than many other sports in the UK. 

I genuinely think our actions over the last decade has seen a shift from family events, and that has seen lower numbers and edgier atmospheres. 

Archived