Michael Maguire to return to Wigan?

39 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

With his time with the West Tigers almost certainly coming to an end he would seem the obvious choice to take charge of Wigan next season

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/damning-feedback-that-could-end-maguire-s-tenure-and-open-door-for-new-coaching-dream-team-20210906-p58p7l.html

Nah, Shaun Edwards nailed on.

God help us if this came to pass.

We would need pretty quickly to take pro-active action to prevent the sort of cynical and disruptive tactics he brought with him first time around and from which the UK game has never really recovered.

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Sean Wane will take over as Director of Rugby and Matty Peet will become the Head Coach. Matty has served a long and comprehensive apprenticeship at the club and deserves his chance.

No one deserves the job just because they have been there a long time. The club should be looking to appoint the best person for the role.

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Sean Wane will take over as Director of Rugby and Matty Peet will become the Head Coach. Matty has served a long and comprehensive apprenticeship at the club and deserves his chance.

For some reason it isn't just the players who want to leave Wigan.

Peet left also https://www.salesharks.com/2018/08/01/matty-peet-joins-sale-sharks-as-high-performance-manager/#:~:text=Matty Peet will be joining,junior players at the Club.

NRL and the other code are more attractive,apparently.

Those that leave don't always return to Wigan as Peet has done.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

No one deserves the job just because they have been there a long time. The club should be looking to appoint the best person for the role.

I said he deserves his chance, not just because he’s been there for a long time but because of his record of achievements doing the various roles he’s been employed in.

2 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I said he deserves his chance, not just because he’s been there for a long time but because of his record of achievements doing the various roles he’s been employed in.

I don't think he does at all and certainly don't think he is the right man for the job. The club needs fresh ideas and input.

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Shaun Wane could be called away to an England international at anytime! 😄 Really he is on standby.

I’m not sure what McGuire did at Wigan previously counts for much now. He’s had a horrible time as coach of Wests. I’d suggest he maybe needs a bit of time away from the game. 

After reading the recent Wigan fans forum write up I can’t honestly see them going for anyone other than the Wane/Peet combo.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't think he does at all and certainly don't think he is the right man for the job. The club needs fresh ideas and input.

What we don't know about Peet is what fresh ideas and input he would bring to the role.  It is only when someone is elevated to position where they are the decision maker will their ideas take hold.  Till this point Peet will have been executing on other people's direction.

I am not saying he is the right man for the job but I wouldn't dismiss him on the grounds that he wouldn't have fresh ideas.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What we don't know about Peet is what fresh ideas and input he would bring to the role.  It is only when someone is elevated to position where they are the decision maker will their ideas take hold.  Till this point Peet will have been executing on other people's direction.

I am not saying he is the right man for the job but I wouldn't dismiss him on the grounds that he wouldn't have fresh ideas.

Is Peet cheap? Yes

Do Wigan need cheap at the moment? Yes

Sometimes it pays off and you can uncover a gem. But let's not dance around the fact that Wigan are looking for cut price options at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Is Peet cheap? Yes

Do Wigan need cheap at the moment? Yes

Sometimes it pays off and you can uncover a gem. But let's not dance around the fact that Wigan are looking for cut price options at the moment. 

Well I'm not really commenting on any of that. Just that he would undoubtedly bring his own ideas, he won't just be a clone of those he has worked under.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well I'm not really commenting on any of that. Just that he would undoubtedly bring his own ideas, he won't just be a clone of those he has worked under.

As I said, sometimes it pays off. Tony Smith came to the UK and worked for meagre wages at Huddersfield in the first couple of years. 

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Whilst I somewhat accept that to some degree I am talking about a different level. The type of transformation and improvement that came with Maguire and generally only comes with fresh ideas from Australia. The fresh input that really elevates a team and club. Wigan need change and I can't think of any successful examples where real change and improvement has come from an English coach. This has been the story for decades at various clubs going back to Wigan in the late 80s.

When English coaches have done well it has usually been a continuation of an Aussie putting the success and structures in place, such as Wane following the structures and foundations that had been put in place by Maguire.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Whilst I somewhat accept that to some degree I am talking about a different level. The type of transformation and improvement that came with Maguire and generally only comes with fresh ideas from Australia. The fresh input that really elevates a team and club. Wigan need change and I can't think of any successful examples where real change and improvement has come from an English coach. This has been the story for decades at various clubs going back to Wigan in the late 80s.

When English coaches have done well it has usually been a continuation of an Aussie putting the success and structures in place, such as Wane following the structures and foundations that had been put in place by Maguire.

Daryl Powell taking over from Ian Millward was a rare exception. 

5 hours ago, M j M said:

disruptive tactics he brought with him first time around and from which the UK game has never really recovered.

Good to know that Michael Maguire, has now been identified as the reason the English game is on it's knees.

I had always wondered what the reason was, so thanks for pointing out that it has been caused by a successful NRL coach. 

👍🏾

30 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Good to know that Michael Maguire, has now been identified as the reason the English game is on it's knees.

I had always wondered what the reason was, so thanks for pointing out that it has been caused by a successful NRL coach. 

👍🏾

People who actually are fans of Rugby League know the impact Maguire had.

20 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

The same Michael Maguire who went on to win the NRL with South Sydney aye?

(Then again, actual fans of the game would know that....)

Well yes, well done. The fact that his tactics were a success meant that it spread across the game.

Although not many players want to be coached by him which is a positive at least.

26 minutes ago, M j M said:

Well yes, well done. The fact that his tactics were a success meant that it spread across the game.

Although not many players want to be coached by him which is a positive at least.

Mmmm.... You are likely to end up being coached by Matt Peet. A guy who has never head-coached pro RL in his life. A guy who two years ago was an academy coach.... In Union FFS. 

Any fan with even a basic knowledge of the game would kill for a coach of Maguire's standard when that is your alternative.

#Downsizing 👍🏽

6 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Mmmm.... You are likely to end up being coached by Matt Peet. A guy who has never head-coached pro RL in his life. A guy who two years ago was an academy coach.... In Union FFS. 

Any fan with even a basic knowledge of the game would kill for a coach of Maguire's standard when that is your alternative.

#Downsizing 👍🏽

We're sacking Agar to bring in Wigan's assistant?

More research needed if you're to pull off this persona old boy.

Archived