Michael Maguire to return to Wigan?

4 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

He just needs the equivalent of Finch, Lima, Hoffman, Sam Tomkins, Gleeson etc to join him too and they might just be in business again.

Nice story but very misleading.

In his first season in 2010 Wigan won the grand final beating Saints. Tomkins and Gleeson were already at the club when McGuire came and indeed the squad was little changed from the year before.

Finch, Lima and Hoffman only came in his 2nd season when Wigan won the Challenge Cup.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

In his first season in 2010 Wigan won the grand final beating Saints. Tomkins and Gleeson were already at the club when McGuire came and indeed the squad was little changed from the year before.

Finch, Lima and Hoffman only came in his 2nd season when Wigan won the Challenge Cup.

But that Wigan team was stacked with quality,somehow a team with Thornley & Miski in tandem supplied by Field in the halves and with doubts over Hardaker & French being at the club next season won’t make it such an attractive proposition for McGuire this time around.

47 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

But that Wigan team was stacked with quality,somehow a team with Thornley & Miski in tandem supplied by Field in the halves and with doubts over Hardaker & French being at the club next season won’t make it such an attractive proposition for McGuire this time around.

It still hadn't won anything for 8 years, Maguire was the difference. Super League also had a lot more quality then all round.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

No you're right, in which case just add Stuart Fielden, McIlorum, peak Tommy L,  Sean O'Loughlin in for 2010.

My point is Wigan's squad looks really problematic for next year and I'm not sure MM will fix that (albeit he will undoubtedly be better than Lam).

38 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

No you're right, in which case just add Stuart Fielden, McIlorum, peak Tommy L,  Sean O'Loughlin in for 2010.

My point is Wigan's squad looks really problematic for next year and I'm not sure MM will fix that (albeit he will undoubtedly be better than Lam).

Those players were already there too. I'm not sure you are trying to diminish what he achieved with essentially the same group of players. What he did at Wigan, both on and off the field, was fantastic.

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

Those players were already there too. I'm not sure you are trying to diminish what he achieved with essentially the same group of players. What he did at Wigan, both on and off the field, was fantastic.

I don't really know what you're getting at saying they were already there - nobody is disputing that.  I'm saying Wigan's squad is in a far worse state than it was then when they had to beat Saints with both halves injured to win the GF.

Maguire turned around some truly horriffic underperfromance from a squad with talent and leadership in it.  This time his job would be very different, that's all.  Plus the game has moved on in the UK so the step-change in defence and intensity he brought first time around wouldn't be quite so transformational.

When talking about Shaun Wane at the fans forum Lenagan said about Wane that he wouldn't return as head coach because 'you don't go back' in that respect. Presumably the same would apply to Maguire too so I can't imagine Maguire being considered.

With regards to Peet taking over, no one will really know what he's capable of until he gets a chance. He's primarily our defence coach and our defence has been pretty good since he took that role. Whether he's got the motivational skills and tactical knowledge to excel remains to be seen but few coaches seem to be all rounders who are good at everything. A good team of coaches is important so if Peet gets the head coach role I do think we need to bring in another assistant with an attacking focus, whereas Lam was supposed to be a head coach with an attacking focus but that didn't work.

Selecting a head coach seems to be a bit if a lottery. Maguire and Wane had no prior head coach experience and were successful so a current head coach isn't a must. Going way back Wigan once brought in two coaches with a history of winning trophies (Millward and Noble) yet neither brought success to Wigan and one was an unmitigated disaster. The best thing a club can do to be successful is have the strongest team. It's very unlikely Wigan will have the strongest side next year though so it probably won't matter who the coach is.

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

SL will be part time professional again in 12+ months 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

What absolute rubbish.

To be fair, 12+ months from now is anytime between a year from now and the end of time so there is a fair margin of error.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I would be very happy to see him back over here. While the NRL is a parasitic leach on the game, someone with recent knowledge of training and recovery at the top level (and an address book) would clearly benefit us. If we go with Peet, we will clearly need some attacking input, and I would be delighted to get someone from the parasitic leach for that. 

He would inherit a squad with masses of potential - “all” that needs fixing is the spine - we need 2 play makers to play alongside Smith, be they at 9, 13, 6 or 1. It is possible that we might go into 2022 with a spine of Powell, Smithies, Smith, Field and French. That would be repeating the same mistake as we made in the mid noughties. If, instead, we let O’Neill develop as an attacking hooker, and sign an organising 6 then there is very little wrong with the squad (I am assuming in writing this that the NRL props solve the lack of experienced go forward). 

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I would be very happy to see him back over here. While the NRL is a parasitic leach on the game, someone with recent knowledge of training and recovery at the top level (and an address book) would clearly benefit us. If we go with Peet, we will clearly need some attacking input, and I would be delighted to get someone from the parasitic leach for that. 

He would inherit a squad with masses of potential - “all” that needs fixing is the spine - we need 2 play makers to play alongside Smith, be they at 9, 13, 6 or 1. It is possible that we might go into 2022 with a spine of Powell, Smithies, Smith, Field and French. That would be repeating the same mistake as we made in the mid noughties. If, instead, we let O’Neill develop as an attacking hooker, and sign an organising 6 then there is very little wrong with the squad (I am assuming in writing this that the NRL props solve the lack of experienced go forward). 

With Hardaker looking like he’s going along with Gildart we have no centre cover whatsoever.

On 07/09/2021 at 07:25, M j M said:

We're sacking Agar to bring in Wigan's assistant?

More research needed if you're to pull off this persona old boy.

It seems the newspapers now agree with me too "old boy"....

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/matt-peet-wigan-warriors-coach-21506872

#research #patronising

5 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

It seems the newspapers now agree with me too "old boy"....

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/matt-peet-wigan-warriors-coach-21506872

#research #patronising

Yup, it's clear you haven't got a clue what you're talking about 😆

It's been known for some time Wigan were lining up Peet, they even said so in that fan forum they did.

But I have no idea what that has to do with me.

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

Yup, it's clear you haven't got a clue what you're talking about 😆

It's been known for some time Wigan were lining up Peet, they even said so in that fan forum they did.

But I have no idea what that has to do with me.

Yeah,don’t think he’s grasped your a Leeds fan,bless him.

11 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

That was last December when he got the extension. They could still fire him.

Archived