Guasch

audois

Bernard overwhelmed Saturday at St James Park. Supporters from the other clubs chanting the Dragons name loudly, He couldn’t believe his ears. Maybe the Brits liking the under dog up against the top dog - since some time.

The Dragons totem pole of the renaissence across the Channel since 2006. Three years after the Wembley Cup success - now the League Leaders Shield. 4 semi-finals now after 2009 (Kevin Walters), 2014 (Laurent Frayssinous) and now two successive from (Steve McNamara).

Are Catalans becoming the 6th biggest club on the podium behind Leeds, Wigan, St Helens, Warrington and Hull FC. I think ticking all the boxes -stadium,support, formation,finance and now success on the field.

Coinsiding with this Toulouse Olympique and their challenge to join them in Europe’s top competition. In less than a months time Stade Brutus and hopefully Ernest Wallon will welcome sides across the Channel, The French game here cannot believe it.

240741421_4553472581337647_5659138470065613379_n.jpg.4b6bb4218e6ffc13cd73c0cf4c38c273.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

18 minutes ago, audois said:

Bernard overwhelmed Saturday at St James Park. Supporters from the other clubs chanting the Dragons name loudly, He couldn’t believe his ears. Maybe the Brits liking the under dog up against the top dog - since some time.

The Dragons totem pole of the renaissence across the Channel since 2006. Three years after the Wembley Cup success - now the League Leaders Shield. 4 semi-finals now after 2009 (Kevin Walters), 2014 (Laurent Frayssinous) and now two successive from (Steve McNamara).

Are Catalans becoming the 6th biggest club on the podium behind Leeds, Wigan, St Helens, Warrington and Hull FC. I think ticking all the boxes -stadium,support, formation,finance and now success on the field.

Coinsiding with this Toulouse Olympique and their challenge to join them in Europe’s top competition. In less than a months time Stade Brutus and hopefully Ernest Wallon will welcome sides across the Channel, The French game here cannot believe it.

240741421_4553472581337647_5659138470065613379_n.jpg.4b6bb4218e6ffc13cd73c0cf4c38c273.jpg

You have to take your hat off to him.  He used to be an awkward so and so but I think he’s mellowed and has a lot of trust in Steve.

Imo, the quality of Catalans as a club, from marketing, merchandising, recruitment, infrastructure to on the pitch, is the best in SL.

With the success of Catalans and Toulouse plus the emerging RLWC2025 bid there is a real opportunity opening up here to grow the game in France, I just have a nagging concern that a self-serving power bloc in SL isn't keen on them and will sabotage the success of both clubs in the British system if they can.

I don't know Ken Davy's view on them, but he is SL chairman and looked very unhappy at the end of Saturday's Catalans game. Maybe he was tired, just trying to appear neutral or perhaps he's just not a smiler, but I do have a suspicion he doesn't view them or Toulouse as part of his preferred "chosen 10" for 2023.

Personally, I think they both provide the potential of massive strategic benefits to the game here. I've got my tickets booked for Old Trafford and hope to be loudly cheering on the Dragons to a GF win.

Current markets are declining in value which means new markets or bust. Catalans and Toulouse could well be 2 of the 4 most dominant clubs in SL within 5 years. You either try to stop that happening or welcome the opportunity to explore new markets.

Guasch has been amazing loyal to the Dragons and deserves every bit of success he gets.

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

As I've said before RL is very reactive and rarely proactive. Like when there was no after plan(if a plan at all) with Toronto. A third team should be considered in the system in the next 2 years and with a RLWC on the horizon even more so.

The problem with managing and planning expansion is its very difficult to do if you have promotion and relegation. It can be done as previously Catalans we’re exempt from relegation (for 3 years I think?). It would be great if Toulouse come up but pointless if they just go back down

48 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

The problem with managing and planning expansion is its very difficult to do if you have promotion and relegation. It can be done as previously Catalans we’re exempt from relegation (for 3 years I think?). It would be great if Toulouse come up but pointless if they just go back down

Kind of get that but it's same for all. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Kind of get that but it's same for all. 

Tbf I think any team that is promoted should be exempt. We’ve just seen clubs yo-yo the past few years. I always thought the qualifiers were brilliant and better suited RL than the current one up one down.

5 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I have no issue with Toulouse being promoted on merit, but I do think that to bring them up and reduce the English, and main reason for the SKT tv money, clubs to 10 sides would be idiotic.

Well it's a 12 team league and Toulouse going up means 10 English clubs so you do have an issue with them joining SL on merit?

Even without the French, 10 English clubs at most appears to be the 2023 plan anyway, so idiotic is coming either way.

Fantastic to see both Catalans and Toulouse leading the way despite the added difficulties the pandemic situation has thrown up.

We are on the cusp of a great opportunity to really grow the reach of Rugby League in the northern hemisphere but sadly I have a nagging doubt that the French will be shafted by any format changes to SL.

To answer Audois I would put them above Hull as the 5th biggest club in terms of crowds, on-field product and ability to attract marquee players.

13 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

IMHO I have long thought that Catalans and Toulouse should PERMANENTLY be exempt from relegation … so if they come last and 2nd last, the 3rd-last team would be relegated.

I know this is controversial but the survival (ie expansion) of the game in the UK depends on a strong French game. PERMANENT exemption from UK 1st tier relegation is the only way to keep the French game strong … will allow the teams to blood French players, among other things.

Eventually, a 3-game France v England series could become HUGE.

A strong 2nd tier in the UK would also help.

We all know Oz/NZ ain't gonna help the NH in any way.

BTW, the future plans for RL in the UK fill me with dread at the moment …

16 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

P&R is the only fair and sporting way to run the sport of RL. There shouldn't be a closed shop. It goes against the whole point of playing and watching the game. 

It is the best sporting way but RL has the problem of trying to square that with trying to raise its profile and maximising the amount of money Super League can generate, which with the lack of money in the game I’m not sure can be done.

22 hours ago, audois said:

Hull fc? On what top podium. 

19 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Tbf I think any team that is promoted should be exempt. We’ve just seen clubs yo-yo the past few years. I always thought the qualifiers were brilliant and better suited RL than the current one up one down.

Why should any club play under a different set of rules in the competition to everyone else ?

If they're good enough on the field they'll stay up, if not they'll get relegated. If you want a P&R system then that's just how it is. If you want protection from relegation then just scrap P&R altogether and bring back licencing.

The game is already seen to be badly run by a bunch of clueless clowns. Letting teams compete under their own separate rules would just be the final straw of stupidity !

Look what happens when you start beggering about with P&R. Widnes got dumped from SL by finishing 11th just so they could gift Catalans a SL place, and its a relegation they never really recovered from. And for what, to have a French team that's just packed out with Brits & Antipodeans and brings through a tiny number of local juniors compared to the numbers that used to come through the Widnes Academy.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Just now, Saint Toppy said:

Why should any club play under a different set of rules in the competition to everyone else ?

If they're good enough on the field they'll stay up, if not they'll get relegated. If you want a P&R system then that's just how it is. If you want protection from relegation then just scrap P&R altogether and bring back licencing.

The game is already seen to be badly run by a bunch of clueless clowns. Letting teams compete under their own separate rules would just be the final straw of stupidity !

Look what happens when you start beggering about with P&R. Widnes got dumped from SL by finishing 11th just so they could gift Catalans a SL place, and its a relegation they never really recovered from. And for what, to have a French team that's just packed out with Brits & Antipodeans and brings through a tiny number of local juniors compared to the numbers that used to come through the Widnes Academy.

We won promotion through licencing after that happened and went on to stay in SL longer the second time round? 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

On 06/09/2021 at 15:54, audois said:

There must be a negative on this somewhere. Can someone please find it

Archived