Guasch

audois

18 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

ha ha, I see I do have an issue........... 

The issue being that of reducing the incentive for SKY to keep throwing £££ our way.

If, for whatever reason, we go down to 10 English sides I do fear we are taking a leg and a wing off the golden goose that helps pay for all this.

Toulouse should come up, and deservedly so, if they win win promotion on the pitch, just the same as any other side.

I think it would be a great opportunity to expand the game across the channel, and increase the number of teams playing in the top flight at the same time.

Grow it, build it, expand it

And ultimately a competetive opponent for England next door

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

We won promotion through licencing after that happened and went on to stay in SL longer the second time round? 

No they didn't !

Licenecing was run between 2009 and 2014, Catalans were admitted in 2006.

The clowns at Red Hall suddenly decided they wanted a French team (even after the PSG debacle) so in 2005 2 SL teams were relegated Leigh who finished 12th and Widnes who finished 11th.

Cas were promoted as NL Champions and Catalans were gifted a place in SL.

To make matters worse they then ensured Catalans stayed in SL by exempting them from relegation and Cas got relegated again even though they didn't finish bottom.

Since 2007 they've stayed up in their own merits but they never earned their place in SL by winning the Championship.

Another perfect example of the RFL moving the goalposts to suit their own whims and completely shafting clubs in the process (Widnes & Cas in this instance with Catalans)

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Why should any club play under a different set of rules in the competition to everyone else ?

If they're good enough on the field they'll stay up, if not they'll get relegated. If you want a P&R system then that's just how it is. If you want protection from relegation then just scrap P&R altogether and bring back licencing.

The game is already seen to be badly run by a bunch of clueless clowns. Letting teams compete under their own separate rules would just be the final straw of stupidity !

Look what happens when you start beggering about with P&R. Widnes got dumped from SL by finishing 11th just so they could gift Catalans a SL place, and its a relegation they never really recovered from. And for what, to have a French team that's just packed out with Brits & Antipodeans and brings through a tiny number of local juniors compared to the numbers that used to come through the Widnes Academy.

I think you need 2 strong divisions for P and R to be successful and sustainable and we don’t have a strong second division. Don’t get me wrong I’d rather have P&R than licensing but if you want to grow the game you need to invest money and time into new markets. 

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

No they didn't !

The clowns at Red Hall suddenly decided they wanted a French team (even after the PSG debacle) so in 2005 2 SL teams were relegated Leigh who finished 12th and Widnes who finished 11th.

To make matters worse they then ensured Catalans stayed in SL by exempting them from relegation and Cas got relegated again even though they didn't finish bottom.

Since 2007 they've stayed up in their own merits but they never earned their place in SL by winning the Championship.

Another perfect example of the RFL moving the goalposts to suit their own whims and completely shafting clubs in the process (Widnes & Cas in this instance with Catalans)

An example of when moving the goalposts ends up with the right result. 

On 06/09/2021 at 17:27, Mr Plow said:

The problem with managing and planning expansion is its very difficult to do if you have promotion and relegation. It can be done as previously Catalans we’re exempt from relegation (for 3 years I think?). It would be great if Toulouse come up but pointless if they just go back down

If they stay pro they would bounce back up like all other pro clubs that stayed pro when relegated

4 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

No they didn't !

Thats a very one eyed view.

Both clubs voted in the 2 relegation AND exemption prior to the season.

ALL clubs knew before the season started they needed to avoid the bottom 2.

They would only have been 'shafted' if the goalposts were moved at the end of the season or midway through which they were not.

For me we should still have licensing to improve standards, with most clubs in the championship semi pro or going semi pro they dont really have an argument against and if anything licensing would benefit these clubs.

27 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Thats a very one eyed view.

Both clubs voted in the 2 relegation AND exemption prior to the season.

ALL clubs knew before the season started they needed to avoid the bottom 2.

They would only have been 'shafted' if the goalposts were moved at the end of the season or midway through which they were not.

For me we should still have licensing to improve standards, with most clubs in the championship semi pro or going semi pro they dont really have an argument against and if anything licensing would benefit these clubs.

We did not.

Link

History has proven the decision correct of course it's been for the good of the game and we came back anyway.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Archived