Magic Weekend, On the road Games or Nothing

As above, Newcastle until they reach SL. If it ever moves it needs to be held in another area where the amateur game is growing such as South Wales or the Midlands and NOT back to Liverpool. I'd also hand out 10,000 tickets per day to local schools.

Just been to my first Magic w/e and loved it. Keep it in Newcastle as a regular thing .Newcastle is amazing ,even caught the metro to Whitley bay for  fish and chips. It's  probably 10 years since I've seen a live Super league game but it's got my interest back. Is it in Newcastle next year? I'd definitely go back. Events need to be regular not chopped and changed about so people can plan ahead.

Someone had a good idea on an other thread if we have 2 French teams in SL next season -

Play 2 games in France or Barcelona over 1 day with the 2 French teams playing an English team each and 4 SL games + Newcastle champ game at Newcastle over 2 days. 

Play 3 games on the sat and 2 on the Sunday so it doesn't finish too late. No one wants to be there at 10pm on a Sunday night so 5 games could work.

Just need to see how they can show all the games without them clashing.

6 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Scrap it, have CC semi double header and women’s final at Newcastle 

encourage on the road games with financial insensitives  for the Home side 

So scrap their biggest money spinner (with the exception of the GF) and the one RL event that Sky still seem to love....🤔🤔

Just now, Mr Frisky said:

So scrap their biggest money spinner (with the exception of the GF) and the one RL event that Sky still seem to love....🤔🤔

Yes. The attendances have hardly gone up since the concept started, if it was selling out fair enough, but it gets nowhere bear capacity, usually RL us too quick to swap and change, but for once concept as run its course. 

25 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

As above, Newcastle until they reach SL. If it ever moves it needs to be held in another area where the amateur game is growing such as South Wales or the Midlands and NOT back to Liverpool. I'd also hand out 10,000 tickets per day to local schools.

Sounds good until you are trying to watch the game with 200 school kids moving around you and babbling on and showing videos to each other on their phones with the volume on full..

39 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Until Newcastle are up in the top or there is another clearly targeted expansion team, keep it in Newcastle and just have Newcastle play a game on Sunday . 

Agree. Target areas like Newcastle and Coventry. Maybe even take it abroad to France or Spain but for now I think we need to maximise its potential in Newcastle and the uk

1 minute ago, Live after death said:

Yes. The attendances have hardly gone up since the concept started, if it was selling out fair enough, but it gets nowhere bear capacity, usually RL us too quick to swap and change, but for once concept as run its course. 

You can't judge by this year - Covid, not BH weekend, short notice to book hotels and plan a weekend away etc.

If you have been to magic the last thing you want is it to be held in a 30,000 seater stadium - the joy is the freedom of movement and not being cramped in for 8 hours - need a big stadium with 5 , 10k seats spare to maintain party atmosphere.

Stick with Newcastle. Perfect location, in a city centre with train and metro stations nearby.

Only possible tweak is if Toulouse get promoted, maybe consider having them play at a major venue in France on the Friday night and replace their St James' fixture with a Newcastle Thunder match against a well-supported Championship team like Bradford. Understand this may be less appealing now Catalans are the table topping side and shouldn't happen if they win the title.

Also, yes to on the road games but only in areas of strategic development. Cumbria, for example. Or venues where we are hosting World Cup matches such as Coventry. Only need a couple of these per year. We should plan ahead and do it on a rota basis for fairness so the same teams don't lose a home match each year.

37 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Have you any links to this? People spout all these myths about Magic and I have yet to see them backed up by facts.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

Have you any links to this? People spout all these myths about Magic and I have yet to see them backed up by facts.

Try assuming 60,000 people paid money, that its in the sky contract and that a sponsor sponsors the weekend- start with those and get back to me...

10 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Try assuming 60,000 people paid money, that its in the sky contract and that a sponsor sponsors the weekend- start with those and get back to me...

Let's be realistic here , between 45 and 50 K went to the MW , and considering the cost of everything outside a Witherspoon's put millions into the cities various businesses ( mostly beer considering the prices ) , which is a decent result for both the stadium , the city and indeed RL , could Newcastle realistically take another 10/15 K ? Probably just about over the 2 days , but perhaps not on the weekend all the 2nd and 3rd year students return , it was chaos in a lot of places on Saturday night 

So overall it's fine , taking it anywhere smaller could go horribly wrong , and this is me who doesn't like big cities and won't be doing a full weekend Magic again 

Right now, post-COVID it feels like a bit of stability would be good. I realise that's pretty much an unknown concept in Rugby League, but let's make an exception for once....

The one tweak I would do for 2022, if Toulouse get promoted is to let Toulouse play Catalans in a decent sized stadium in France on the Friday night. Is there a good stadium in Avignon? Then have Newcastle vs Bradford Bulls first match up on the Sunday. I don't think I'm stretching credulity to suggest that the Bulls would bring more supporters than the two French teams combined  😐

Newcastle is probably the part of the UK with the biggest potential for RL growth at the moment. The World Cup opener will sell out and it will draw tens of thousands of locals. This is an international game of course which does tell you something about what draws fans.

If Newcastle can grow into a SL club over the next decade then it can really take advantage of big events in Newcastle. We need to stick at things, just let's see if we can actually build rather than stagnate though!

4 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

I do wonder though about Coventry as a Magic Weekend destination. I've never been apart from our game the other year but does it inspire me to go and stop over???

It has some nice modern architecture but... nope.

I did think about Coventry as it would be great for the Bears and Midlands RL overall but unfortunately the ground is miles out of the centre and it's a terrible night out (which, like it or not, matters to people).

Has to stay in Newcastle for the foreseeable (ideally until Thunder are an established SL club) and then I'd be looking at Sheffield, Cardiff or London (if the Broncos still exist by then).

Archived