Magic Weekend, On the road Games or Nothing

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Keep it, and keep it in Newcastle, it's a great city, gret stadium and amenities and probably one of the easiest stadiums in the UK to get to,

Correct , I really don't see where else is better 

Let's just accept what it is , rather than trying or wanting to make it something it isn't , and indeed not achieve 

What it IS , is unique , to RL , that IS a good thing 

Agree that they need something to hold people's interest after their team's games - why not get some upcoming but heard of bands to play a 30 minute set or something between games or invite local amateur clubs/Scottish clubs to play mini games or tag rugby or something rather than just 'swap' over. fans, personnel etc for the next one, that would possibly attract fans, friends, family etc too.

We market it as a rugby league jamboree when in effect it is just 3 games of Super league after each other (each day), let's make it a festival, a jamboree and do something completely different with it as well.

Problem is and always has been that the majority watch their team then go as unless they are avid fans of the game there is nothing to keep them in the stadium once they're game is over.

BTW i'm a lover of Magic weekend if my post seems a bit 'moany' i just want all my friends and others to want to come too.

7 hours ago, daz39 said:

Agree that they need something to hold people's interest after their team's games - why not get some upcoming but heard of bands to play a 30 minute set or something between games or invite local amateur clubs/Scottish clubs to play mini games or tag rugby or something rather than just 'swap' over. fans, personnel etc for the next one, that would possibly attract fans, friends, family etc too.

We market it as a rugby league jamboree when in effect it is just 3 games of Super league after each other (each day), let's make it a festival, a jamboree and do something completely different with it as well.

Problem is and always has been that the majority watch their team then go as unless they are avid fans of the game there is nothing to keep them in the stadium once they're game is over.

BTW i'm a lover of Magic weekend if my post seems a bit 'moany' i just want all my friends and others to want to come too.

Just how many live games of RL do we think people will ' experience ' at once ? , We did 3 in 2 days , no way am I doing more , and I'd guess that applies to most fans , be they sport , individual club or new , you are not going to get many people to sit through 6 games , no matter what bands , contests , or anything else you put on 

It's fine as it is , nothing is going to change it 

I'm guessing that the thinking behind putting the most high profile matches as the second one - I think that's what they did, but correct me if I'm wrong - was that it might encourage a few people from the first game to stay on, and a few people from the third game to arrive early.

I do agree that there is only so much you can do to persuade people to watch the other matches.

17 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm guessing that the thinking behind putting the most high profile matches as the second one - I think that's what they did, but correct me if I'm wrong - was that it might encourage a few people from the first game to stay on, and a few people from the third game to arrive early.

I do agree that there is only so much you can do to persuade people to watch the other matches.

On the Saturday when they arranged the fixtures Leeds vs Hull was the prestige game.

Wigan vs Warrington at the time it was was to enable people from those places to get home via train which wouldn't have been possible being the last one on (and I speak as someone who barely got onto the last train south on the Saturday and had to miss the final four mins of the Leeds-Hull match 😞 )

I think you might get people to stay longer, if the games were shorter. As in say, a 9's tournament. 

I'm not going to map out the itinerary, but with 12 teams you could easily fill the day with short games, (loads of variety) culiminating in a final in the early evening. 

Winners would have to play about 90 - 100 odd minutes of football in total (not too much, if the squads are big).

For the musical aficionado's, you could set up a stage at one end, with bands playing while the games go on!!!!!!

8 hours or more of festival type fun, with something for the RL diehards and newcomers alike.

All you need, is a sunny day (or a sliding roof).

If MW is staying in Newcastle, give this to Wales (and/or London), Cardiff (or Spurs) is made for it. 

Something I spotted in the ‘other sports’ section of a football forum: the impressions of a rugby league irregular from watching - for free - Magic Weekend’s second day...

Courtesy of a free ticket from Sky I went to all three matches at Newcastle and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I am not a frequent rugby league watcher but the day flew by. It was interesting to see three matches so close together. The difference in quality and physicality between the Warrington / Wigan game and the others was quite startling.

The attendance was given as just over 25,000 but I saw the list of Sky freebies when I collected my ticket. It was very long and we were all in unreserved seating opposite the cameras. This meant an excellent view above the half way line for me and a full-looking ground for TV presumably. However I wonder how many of the 25,000 actually paid and whether this event makes any money.

A couple of observations from an infrequent attender:  

• Why are there so many extraneous personnel on the pitch, especially after tries are scored? Physios, water carriers, trainers, the list goes on. I am all for the safety of players but is it really necessary for the referee and touch judges to have drinks brought out to them after every score? How do football referees cope? Are two cameramen running on to the pitch at these times really needed? There was one collision between a player and a cameraman that I noticed.
  • Why do the referees wear such tight shorts? They would scarcely look less ridiculous in a pair of budgie smugglers. And why do they use such terrible whistles.
  • It was disappointing for me, as an inexpert viewer not to be able to hear the referee, when he is audible on the TV. I was expecting to be able to buy some device to allow me to tune in.
  • Why do caterers serve burgers in brioche buns? I want the filling to ooze into the bread not sit on top of a cross between toast and a stale bun. Especially when they charge a premium for it.

9 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Something I spotted in the ‘other sports’ section of a football forum: the impressions of a rugby league irregular from watching - for free - Magic Weekend’s second day...

Courtesy of a free ticket from Sky I went to all three matches at Newcastle and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I am not a frequent rugby league watcher but the day flew by. It was interesting to see three matches so close together. The difference in quality and physicality between the Warrington / Wigan game and the others was quite startling.

The attendance was given as just over 25,000 but I saw the list of Sky freebies when I collected my ticket. It was very long and we were all in unreserved seating opposite the cameras. This meant an excellent view above the half way line for me and a full-looking ground for TV presumably. However I wonder how many of the 25,000 actually paid and whether this event makes any money.

A couple of observations from an infrequent attender:  

• Why are there so many extraneous personnel on the pitch, especially after tries are scored? Physios, water carriers, trainers, the list goes on. I am all for the safety of players but is it really necessary for the referee and touch judges to have drinks brought out to them after every score? How do football referees cope? Are two cameramen running on to the pitch at these times really needed? There was one collision between a player and a cameraman that I noticed.
  • Why do the referees wear such tight shorts? They would scarcely look less ridiculous in a pair of budgie smugglers. And why do they use such terrible whistles.
  • It was disappointing for me, as an inexpert viewer not to be able to hear the referee, when he is audible on the TV. I was expecting to be able to buy some device to allow me to tune in.
  • Why do caterers serve burgers in brioche buns? I want the filling to ooze into the bread not sit on top of a cross between toast and a stale bun. Especially when they charge a premium for it.

Do you have a link for this please?

Archived