Greg Minikin...is there summat I'm missing here?

He's just signed a two year deal at Warrington.

Maybe there is a decent SL player in there somewhere but, for the life of me, I haven't seen it yet. When Cas swept all before them in 2017 before running up short in the GF, at the time I thought he was the one player that that team carried. IMO his defence is dreadful and he seems prone to plenty of errors. I know he's been unlucky with injuries during his time over in East Hull but my opinion of him was well cemented before he signed for Hull KR, who were only willing to offer him a one year deal at the end of this term, hence him signing for Wire as they offered two.

I really hope he proves me wrong over the next two seasons as we need as many decent English players as possible to help boost the international game but, sorry, I just can't see it happening.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed most of last season through a bad knee injury, prior to that he had made the England Knights team so must have been playing ok. Averages a try every other game, can play centre or wing plus it probably helps Powell to have another player there who knows his systems etc. Looks like a squad player for them who will not be on mega-bucks.

4 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Missed most of last season through a bad knee injury, prior to that he had made the England Knights team so must have been playing ok. Averages a try every other game, can play centre or wing plus it probably helps Powell to have another player there who knows his systems etc. Looks like a squad player for them who will not be on mega-bucks.

That’s my hope, I haven’t seen enough from him to warrant a place in the starting 13, but could be useful for cover at wing / centre. Similar to the role we signed Jake Mamo to fill initially.

Question marks over the wing position and prop (Hill staying or going) to resolve. Bullock allegedly on his way, hopefully as a replacement for Sita rather than Hill.

I'm torn on this one. Powell's signings to date seem to be a bunch of solid guys who have 'done a job' for him in the past. That's fine if you're joining a relegation-threatened team with ten games to go; not sure it is where our ambition should be. However, as others have said he is solid and you need a few cheaper players if you are trying to hold on to Clark, Widdop, Williams etc.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

19 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Some signings often seem strange, but it depends on what X coach of Y club wants from Z player. sone players ate brought in just to be a solid reliable squad player train well have a good attitude and can step in and play 10-12 games a year. Is this is what Warrington want? 

That's why I said earlier it seems a strange club choice for Minikin. Players usually choose to move either for money or to get more 1st team starts.

He's already getting plenty of starts at HKR and is more likely to get that staying there than moving to Wire. So that begs the question are they paying him a damn sight more than HKR ?

There's plenty on here saying he's signed as a cheap squad filler, but that just doesn't seem right for a player like Minikin at this stage of his career. I just don't get why a player would move to somewhere that they're more likely to be playing reserve grade unless it came with a big wage rise. So I seriously doubt he's going to Wire 'on the cheap'.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

That's why I said earlier it seems a strange club choice for Minikin. Players usually choose to move either for money or to get more 1st team starts.

Maybe he has a hankering for a GF Runners-Up medal? Not going to get one of those at Rervers.

8 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Maybe there is a decent SL player in there somewhere but, for the life of me, I haven't seen it yet. When Cas swept all before them in 2017 before running up short in the GF, at the time I thought he was the one player that that team carried. IMO his defence is dreadful and he seems prone to plenty of errors. I know he's been unlucky with injuries during his time over in East Hull but my opinion of him was well cemented before he signed for Hull KR, who were only willing to offer him a one year deal at the end of this term, hence him signing for Wire as they offered two.

I really hope he proves me wrong over the next two seasons as we need as many decent English players as possible to help boost the international game but, sorry, I just can't see it happening.

he's no adam swift or matty dawson (reynolds ?)

10 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

He's already getting plenty of starts at HKR and is more likely to get that staying there than moving to Wire. So that begs the question are they paying him a damn sight more than HKR ?

There's plenty on here saying he's signed as a cheap squad filler, but that just doesn't seem right for a player like Minikin at this stage of his career. I just don't get why a player would move to somewhere that they're more likely to be playing reserve grade unless it came with a big wage rise. So I seriously doubt he's going to Wire 'on the cheap'.

I think Rovers only offered him a 12 month deal, maybe the additional security plus the chance to work with Powell agin?

Minikin was slow to get going at Rovers and unlucky with injuries but the last few weeks he has looked a very good player.

Have a look at how he set up the try for Litten against Wigan and you will see the quality he is capable of.

No doubt his move to Warrington is because of his previous connections with Powell who did offer him a new deal at Cas when he chose Rovers instead. This time he has turned down a 1 year deal with Rovers in favour of a 2 year deal with Wire.

But hey, maybe fans on here are a better judge than Daryl Powell and Tony Smith.

8 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Squad player for cover I assume. I agree his defence is rubbish

7 hours ago, Alffi 7 said:

That’s my hope, I haven’t seen enough from him to warrant a place in the starting 13, but could be useful for cover at wing / centre. Similar to the role we signed Jake Mamo to fill initially.

Question marks over the wing position and prop (Hill staying or going) to resolve. Bullock allegedly on his way, hopefully as a replacement for Sita rather than Hill.

Though Hill was already a done deal at Huddersfield. 

8 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

So it was said in some channels.

Those same channels are now suggesting he's signed for 2 years at warrington 

Cheers, think he’s still got a couple of good years in him. I was actually thinking he’s the sort of player Wigan are desperate for if he’s available. Let’s hope they don’t realise it. 

He’s a solid player when fit, def first 17 not just a squad player. Unlucky with injuries at Rervers. We have a tight budget though and think he was relatively well paid for us, Tony is obviously tidying the pay mix up so reckon he had to go somewhere else to get 2 years on the wage he wanted. Think we’ll miss him in 2022 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 hours ago, Live after death said:

Some signings often seem strange, but it depends on what X coach of Y club wants from Z player. sone players ate brought in just to be a solid reliable squad player train well have a good attitude and can step in and play 10-12 games a year. Is this is what Warrington want? 

Thought a team like wire would have enough young talent coming through to cover 10/12 games a year. 

Strange signing, however I am not a big fan of Charnley and believe minikin could do just as well as him if given the opportunity.

Archived