Greg Minikin...is there summat I'm missing here?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

A real bums-on-seats signing for Wire. 

Does anyone know if they have invoked the marquee ruling in order to secure this top class talent?

So you either haven’t a clue on how a salary cap works or you are just up to your usual trolling.

FWIW Wire are probably the last club anyone should be critical of with regards to “bums on seats” signings,even if they haven’t always worked out.

Said exactly the same to my mate at Magic, he's never really been a player who stood out and apart from putting the ball over the line i can never recalll him ever been flashy or any better than average, Clearly Powell sees something in him that 99% of us don't.

Very strange signing for a club like Wire to make.

Greg Inglis to Greg Minikin ??

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Said exactly the same to my mate at Magic, he's never really been a player who stood out and apart from putting the ball over the line i can never recalll him ever been flashy or any better than average, Clearly Powell sees something in him that 99% of us don't.

Very strange signing for a club like Wire to make.

Greg Inglis to Greg Minikin ??

At least minikin will make himself available to play , and certainly could prove to be a very good signing.😀😀😀

Of course, if we had signed a 'bums on seats' player all the would have been about how we were cheating the Salary Cap in plain sight, etc.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

16 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Absolutely, i've nothing against him, he's not a bad player but it's a very surprising Warrington signing, they usually like their 'big names'.

Trying to keep Clarke & King,Williams will be on big money,as will Widdop and some of the young talent that has come through will also need secured with possible improved contracts,all within a 2 million cap.

34 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Absolutely, i've nothing against him, he's not a bad player but it's a very surprising Warrington signing, they usually like their 'big names'.

indeed, that'll be why in recent years we haven't signed

rob butler

robbie mulhern

jake mamo

mitch brown

matt davis

keanan brand

danny walker

to name a few

On 07/09/2021 at 15:47, DimmestStar said:

Minikin was slow to get going at Rovers and unlucky with injuries but the last few weeks he has looked a very good player.

Have a look at how he set up the try for Litten against Wigan and you will see the quality he is capable of.

No doubt his move to Warrington is because of his previous connections with Powell who did offer him a new deal at Cas when he chose Rovers instead. This time he has turned down a 1 year deal with Rovers in favour of a 2 year deal with Wire.

But hey, maybe fans on here are a better judge than Daryl Powell and Tony Smith.

But surely all fans are better judges than proven professional coaches. That's why they're always all over these forums.

12 hours ago, Davo5 said:

So you either haven’t a clue on how a salary cap works or you are just up to your usual trolling.

My word...really?!?!

Remarkable post.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

7 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

A simple cheap squad filler who can do a good enough job playing outside an expensive spine.

Not sure what the big drama is, signings like this mean we may be able to keep Hill for another year.

Is that really a good thing? 😜

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Is that really a good thing? 😜

I think so, based on his form this year. He’s been relieved of the captaincy and is doing a very solid job and I reckon we’d struggle to find a replacement that gives the same go-forward. I guess the problem would be that he wants a two year contract and we’d only be offering him a one-year deal.

I’m not sure there are many decent props available right now, without paying out a big transfer fee.

11 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

A simple cheap squad filler who can do a good enough job playing outside an expensive spine.

Not sure what the big drama is, signings like this mean we may be able to keep Hill for another year.

Yeah,makes you wonder what the motive for the OP was and are we going to get a thread for each non star player signed by a Superleague team.

11 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

What makes you think he's coming as a cheap player ?

He's getting regular 1st team games at HKR so that wont be a reason to move and nobody, not even the dumbest of players are going to uproot their home & family from East Hull to Warrington for a pittance. In order to make the move its almost certain his contract will be sufficiently bigger than what he was on at HKR.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

25 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

He's getting regular 1st team games at HKR so that wont be a reason to move and nobody, not even the dumbest of players are going to uproot their home & family from East Hull to Warrington for a pittance. In order to make the move its almost certain his contract will be sufficiently bigger than what he was on at HKR.

Plenty of players have moved to so called bigger clubs because they want to win trophies rather than increased salaries.

30 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Cheaper than a past-it NRL player. He’ll be playing second fiddle to Thewlis and Charnley, and possibly Ashton if he gets a new contract.

Minikin is no world-beater, but he’s played for the England Knights and is replacing a similar player with a worse disciplinary record who was on a decent wedge. Seems like good business sense to me. He’s British, in his prime and capable.

On 08/09/2021 at 21:05, Davo5 said:

Unlike yours which are just a bit sad & pathetic.

In what way?

Or perhaps this is just another method of your trolling. 

I post fairly regularly on here and, in spite of often having disagreements with one or two of the Hull KR posters, I have never put them on ignore.

You are the only poster I have ever put on ignore after your "sad and pathetic" inserting of laughing emoticons after everything I posted. Unfortunately, I then discovered that, even after putting you on ignore, these infantile gestures by you were still visible to me. So your trolling even continued after that.

18 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah,makes you wonder what the motive for the OP was and are we going to get a thread for each non star player signed by a Superleague team.

Once again, a direct attack on me.

It's not difficult to work out why I started this thread. Just read the replies from decent, none trolling posters and you see that the general consensus of opinion is that, while Minikin is a player who might be able to do a job at a struggling SL team, he is hardly the sort of signing that would sell extra season tickets at a club like Warrington.

Daryl Powell seems a decent enough coach and must be able to see something in him that a fair few of us speccies can't. Perhaps that's why he's a SL coach and I'm not.

But, as I said in my opening post, I hope Minikin goes on to prove me wrong. I guess time will tell but I just can't see him impressing in the type of line up Warrington fans usually expect to see.

Mind you, I would wager that he'll spend more time on the field as a first teamer at Wire than Greg Inglis.

Don't reckon I'll get many takers though.

13 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

In what way?

Or perhaps this is just another method of your trolling. 

I post fairly regularly on here and, in spite of often having disagreements with one or two of the Hull KR posters, I have never put them on ignore.

You are the only poster I have ever put on ignore after your "sad and pathetic" inserting of laughing emoticons after everything I posted. Unfortunately, I then discovered that, even after putting you on ignore, these infantile gestures by you were still visible to me. So your trolling even continued after that.

Once again, a direct attack on me.

It's not difficult to work out why I started this thread. Just read the replies from decent, none trolling posters and you see that the general consensus of opinion is that, while Minikin is a player who might be able to do a job at a struggling SL team, he is hardly the sort of signing that would sell extra season tickets at a club like Warrington.

Daryl Powell seems a decent enough coach and must be able to see something in him that a fair few of us speccies can't. Perhaps that's why he's a SL coach and I'm not.

But, as I said in my opening post, I hope Minikin goes on to prove me wrong. I guess time will tell but I just can't see him impressing in the type of line up Warrington fans usually expect to see.

Mind you, I would wager that he'll spend more time on the field as a first teamer at Wire than Greg Inglis.

Don't reckon I'll get many takers though.

Wow,normally I’d say “You couldn’t make it up” but you obviously do.

The only personal attacks as you put it is coming from yourself on this thread old lad,so feel free to put me on ignore as your childish accusations are becoming increasingly tiresome.

Back to the topic,let’s hope Minikin kicks on at Wire and proves all the doubters wrong,

On 08/09/2021 at 22:58, Cheshire Setter said:

A simple cheap squad filler who can do a good enough 

Well that's one theory we can park. Props we have on the books next season, Cooper, philbin, Bullock, Harrison, Mulhern, Butler plus any youngsters. 

He's a very good player. Excellent balance and footwork with great skill and a fair bit of pace. People suggesting he's average haven't a clue. Very similar to Shenton at his peak. Agree his defence isn't his strong point but it's not as bad as people are making out, just a lazy assumption because he isnt a massive bloke.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

46 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

your childish accusations are becoming increasingly tiresome.

So you're denying constantly trolling every post of mine a while back with those emoticons?

Archived