London to go part-time from next year

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

The only conceivable way this isn't terrible news is if they've been given notice that they're in that second division of 10 no matter what happens, and are cutting costs for a year where the league doesn't matter much. I don't think that's likely though. 

Nor me, it would be hard to go part time and then go back to full time shortly after. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, newbe said:

Just announced on 12o/c Talk Sport news about going P/T due to reduced tv deal.

I’m amazed they found time to mention that in between endless discussion about gambling odds, who’s going to finish in the top 4 and Alan Brazil getting rat ar5ed. 

13 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

The only conceivable way this isn't terrible news is if they've been given notice that they're in that second division of 10 no matter what happens, and are cutting costs for a year where the league doesn't matter much. I don't think that's likely though. 

If the split is two tens then London have to be sure of finishing in the top 8 in The Championship next year.Unless they get special treatment due to their location which would not be fair to other clubs.

4 hours ago, Damien said:

This doesn't really tally with the proposed move to Wimbledon. 

Your mistake there is in expecting anything London do to follow any kind of logical sequence.

We're now a part-time rugby league club whose biggest operating expenditure appears to be servicing AFC Wimbledon's debt.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It has all the marks of toys been thrown out of the playpen as has been seen on a number of occasions before such as after the Leigh semi and over the Toulouse trip. However, in traditional Brewster's Millions fashion, a full time academy is still going to be run so that any decent players go north or to union with London fans possibly getting to enjoy whatever is left over.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

It has all the marks of toys been thrown out of the playpen as has been seen on a number of occasions before such as after the Leigh semi and over the Toulouse trip. However, in traditional Brewster's Millions fashion, a full time academy is still going to be run so that any decent players go north or to union with London fans possibly getting to enjoy whatever is left over.

Indeed, I think it's an emotional Hughes throwing down the gauntlet. Cut us out of the top 20 in 2023 if you dare.

I actually have some sympathy with that.

Don’t worry, haven’t you heard, once the saviours of RL Toulouse get to SL the whole of France is going to take notice of English Rugby League. Bein sports will then come to the Super League table with a massive french TV deal to share out amongst English clubs and London will be quids in!

42 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Indeed, I think it's an emotional Hughes throwing down the gauntlet. Cut us out of the top 20 in 2023 if you dare.

I actually have some sympathy with that.

The trouble is I think they would 'dare' and I struggle to argue a case for LB

'The London Broncos will increase the level of financial input into our highly successful Academy and Scholarship programme as well as work with the Community game in London and the South East to continue to develop professional Rugby League players as we take the opportunity to restructure the club ahead of our planned move to Plough Lane in 2022.

'Off the field a huge amount of work is being undertaken in several areas to ensure that Rugby League in London continues to thrive and that the Broncos are able to return stronger for a promotion push in seasons to come with a squad littered with home grown players and a solid supporter base in our new home.'

To be fair, it sounds like the Broncos do have some sort of long-term plan rather than making it up as they go along (as they can appear).

Can anyone shed any light on what the off-field work entails?

33 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

London are not the first and won't be the last club to scale back ambitions due to funding cuts. It's inevitable 

Let's be 100% clear: full time rugby in London has been entirely dependent on David Hughes' subsidy for several years. Blaming the move to PT on the funding cuts is a convenient way to conceal the fact that he's starting to walk away. 

He's entirely entitled to do that of course - it's his money - but I think we're going to see a lot of clubs start blaming the funding for what is in fact the fundamental unsustainabilty of their businesses. 

7 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Let's be 100% clear: full time rugby in London has been entirely dependent on David Hughes' subsidy for several years. Blaming the move to PT on the funding cuts is a convenient way to conceal the fact that he's starting to walk away. 

He's entirely entitled to do that of course - it's his money - but I think we're going to see a lot of clubs start blaming the funding for what is in fact the fundamental unsustainabilty of their businesses. 

That's true and the move to part time does not mean he's walking away. He's decided maybe he doesn't want to put the extra £120k shortfall in to keep them full time. 

Your last paragraph is interesting about sustainability. What is a sustainable club? One that survives without funding? In that case we probably have 4 sustainable clubs in the whole country. And even they would struggle with large funding cuts over night 

3 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Can someone show me where an SL of 2 x 10 is nailed on ?

7 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

https://londonbroncosrl.com/2021/09/07/club-statement-squad-contract-status-2022/

No real surprise there I guess, but they have found life tough trying to pad the team out with inexperienced local players and with the last of the more experienced full-time players presumably on the way out (several already announced) times could be even tougher for them, at least in the short term.

In other news Catholic bears poo 💩 in the popes garden

Probably for the best though what happens if we win the million pound game? 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

'

To be fair, it sounds like the Broncos do have some sort of long-term plan rather than making it up as they go along (as they can appear).

Can anyone shed any light on what the off-field work entails?

Just sounds generic' we are building from the ground up' rubbish they always say but don't do. 

If this was planned with the Plough lane move then I think it's stupid. Part time at Ealing actually fits. It's also lesz embarrassing being one of 200 watching a part time team in a small ground. Being one of 200 in a 9000 stadium watching a part time team is embarrassing for everyone....

16 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just sounds generic' we are building from the ground up' rubbish they always say but don't do. 

If this was planned with the Plough lane move then I think it's stupid. Part time at Ealing actually fits. It's also lesz embarrassing being one of 200 watching a part time team in a small ground. Being one of 200 in a 9000 stadium watching a part time team is embarrassing for everyone....

I must say the move to Plough Lane seems odder still alongside this decision. Like you, I have heard again and again about strategies to build the game in London but seen nothing tangible. The sad thing is that you actually have to build the "game" rather than the "club" in London because the sport has such a low profile. It's a big burden on Broncos and Skolars.

I don't think given the financial circumstances anyone could argue against this decision - makes me wonder what the cuts will mean for other clubs? 

Selfishly I fear this may make Skolars job harder as we will be keeping for a smaller pool of PT players in the capital, although maybe the clubs will come closer together to support each other (this assumes that Skolars actually exist as a semi pro team next season).

Whatever this is another sign of the game's decline.

Just now, crashmon said:

on the plus side, I would not be surprised if a few more fans turn up on Sunday to say goodbye to the club, they have followed through thick and thin over 20-30 years.

I'll be amazed if London actually start the 2022 season.... I just don't see it TBH.

People would have to know what's happening to make that decision. I found out about the move to PT via this Forum not sure how many old (ex?) fans will have picked it up but it would be good if you're right about Sunday. As for your second point: I fear you could be right. Mind you has anyone who follows a non SL club got a ###### clue about next season!

we can't make sun, but we made sure we was at the Sheffield Game.  It was nice to see them win it. That won't happen Sunday.

Its a real shame, I have lots of good memories since 2000 when we started to follow them (when I moved to London), times at Charlton, Brenford, The stoop, Barnet (tbh can't remember much good times on Barnet), and finally trailfinders where we actually felt the club was on its way back...

ar well, Egham Town here we come.... In a way looking forward to watching a team who play less than a mile from where I live, even if its foodball, and in the depths of non-league

Archived