London to go part-time from next year

9 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

“A little bit like Toronto, the sport has hoped for a success story in the shape of London, but it hasn't wanted to do anything of significance to help. It has hoped for the best.”

This statement sums it up for me.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Latest from the Dons Trust is Plough Lane is still on and they intend to boost Broncos gates through marketing of matches and ticketing initiatives ...

Blimey.

A cut and paste from the moves to Charlton, The Stoop, Brentford ...

(And, more seriously, is that the Dons Trust doing the marketing/ticketing initiatives because if it's the Broncos then nothing will happen ...)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Quite.

Baffles me why some Broncos fans find this so hard to grasp. Unless they live round the corner.... 

I do live fairly close to Trailfinders and we need to attract more people like that to the Broncos. I have been to Gillingham and Barrow to see them as well, amongst other places though.

The capacity at trailfinders will be to too small for the RU club if they go up. We have seen only two years ago that it is not too small for us in Super League. We could always take a one or two big games to Millwall or whoever.

in any case I don’t have any fixation on Ealing but I do object to the continual moving around. You may gain some new fans but you may also lose some too?

Two years ago we were in the best position we have been in for a few years , now I just can’t see a way forward at all . Certainly not in a 10,000 seater stadium with a part time team

As stated in the above quoted article where is the plan? 

The Toronto experience shows the real lack of ambition in the sport at the present time in my view even more clearly than London’s difficulties.

21 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

I do live fairly close to Trailfinders and we need to attract more people like that to the Broncos. I have been to Gillingham and Barrow to see them as well, amongst other places though.

The capacity at trailfinders will be to too small for the RU club if they go up. We have seen only two years ago that it is not too small for us in Super League. We could always take a one or two big games to Millwall or whoever.

in any case I don’t have any fixation on Ealing but I do object to the continual moving around. You may gain some new fans but you may also lose some too?

Two years ago we were in the best position we have been in for a few years , now I just can’t see a way forward at all . Certainly not in a 10,000 seater stadium with a part time team

As stated in the above quoted article where is the plan? 

The Toronto experience shows the real lack of ambition in the sport at the present time in my view even more clearly than London’s difficulties.

Do you not see any contradiction in your analysis that the sport lacks ambition but you are happy for London’s premier rugby league club to play in a small, suburban lower league rugby union ground you live close to? 

35 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Do you not see any contradiction in your analysis that the sport lacks ambition but you are happy for London’s premier rugby league club to play in a small, suburban lower league rugby union ground you live close to? 

If the sport fully backed London Broncos then absolutely PL makes great sense, in some ways its too small!

But the sport doesn't so London are where they are, and Ealing is that level sadly.

30 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If the sport fully backed London Broncos then absolutely PL makes great sense, in some ways its too small!

But the sport doesn't so London are where they are, and Ealing is that level sadly.

Sad but true. In a city of 9 million people there must be thousands of young people capable of being above average Rugby League players. London could and should have been a gold mine for players and sponsors, but the insular people who the game are just happy to just carry on withe the status quo.

11 hours ago, Damien said:

It's a good summary, almost like a compilation of posts on here.....

Not sure about Shaw being in line with posts on here. He argues that having a top flight club in London able to pay Superleague wages, gives a massive viable alternative to a very large pool of south eastern Rugby players. Thus some great Rugby talent has supposedly come through Bronco's academy, gone pro, and from there some have moved north to RL land. I suppose if Mr. Hughes can capitalise on that through receiving transfer fees fine.  How that would work, I don't know...

42 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Sad but true. In a city of 9 million people there must be thousands of young people capable of being above average Rugby League players. London could and should have been a gold mine for players 

That you agree with Shaw, and  Hughes is supposedly running a London academy in the championship, may mean this is the "gold mine" you speak of. What do you think?

5 minutes ago, steve oates said:

That you agree with Shaw, and  Hughes is supposedly running a London academy in the championship, may mean this is the "gold mine" you speak of. What do you think?

London has a bigger population than NSW and that tells you all you need to know about the potential for Rugby League in London, and you can't expect David Hughes to finance all himself.  Now YOU tell me how them amateur clubs are doing in this mythical place called the Rugby League heartlands with playing numbers at all levels?

38 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Not sure about Shaw being in line with posts on here. He argues that having a top flight club in London able to pay Superleague wages, gives a massive viable alternative to a very large pool of south eastern Rugby players. Thus some great Rugby talent has supposedly come through Bronco's academy, gone pro, and from there some have moved north to RL land. I suppose if Mr. Hughes can capitalise on that through receiving transfer fees fine.  How that would work, I don't know...

That view has literally been expressed on here for years.

I’ve said it previously, perhaps Broncos are just sticking two fingers up at the RFL. Broncos join the other ‘part time teams’ taking the ######. Plus the benefit of showing up the ambition of the whole sport by a main academy leading to professionalism going into a part time structure.

However, you don’t run down your squad and then pay more for the stadium. Though as the key to the lights is tossed between current players leaving to the last man and not a signing in sight to replace them my money for next year will stay firmly in my bank until I know the quality and ambition of the squad put together. Unfortunately at this point I expect I will have a pot of cash to lavish elsewhere in my life.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

On 10/09/2021 at 08:12, Man of Kent said:

If you think the Broncos’ ambition should be to simply play in a much bigger stadium than they are now then you are going to be happy.. I doubt many other people will be though. 

What is this obsession in being a stadium ten times bigger than we actually need at the moment ? Bizarre.

Anyway   I am looking forward to this afternoon now!

On 09/09/2021 at 22:02, THE RED ROOSTER said:

One thing that I really agree with in this article is the idea that geographical expansion of the game and growth in the heartlands have to go hand in hand and can happen simultaneously, rather than being at war with one another.

Archived