Match Thread: Championship Round 21, London Broncos v Featherstone Rovers Sunday-12th-September-2021

marklaspalmas

Our penultimate league fixture against a side, who despite having a disappointing season, look like they may well still make the playoffs and will be highly motivated to beat us. Only Whitehaven can catch the Broncos in 6th spot.

The Rovers squad is looking as healthy as we've seen it all year. Of our 25 man squad (counting our two loan signings) we are missing only Minns, Bussey, Harrison and Day. I'd imagine we'll put out the same 21 man squad as last week.

Whether it's the same 17 or not is open to speculation. With just this game and Sheffield next week before the playoffs, now is probably the time to be putting out our best 17 and fine-tuning, unless players have knocks that really need resting.

Last week's match, which did not feature Hardcastle, Ferguson, Cooper or Parata, may be a pointer as to who Webster sees as his strongest 17. Or maybe not.

Plastic pitches are not everyone's favourite, but I think Rovers should win comfortably.

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Our penultimate league fixture against a side, who despite having a disappointing season, look like they may well still make the playoffs and will be highly motivated to beat us. Only Whitehaven can catch the Broncos in 6th spot.

The Rovers squad is looking as healthy as we've seen it all year. Of our 25 man squad (counting our two loan signings) we are missing only Minns, Bussey, Harrison and Day. I'd imagine we'll put out the same 21 man squad as last week.

Whether it's the same 17 or not is open to speculation. With just this game and Sheffield next week before the playoffs, now is probably the time to be putting out our best 17 and fine-tuning, unless players have knocks that really need resting.

Last week's match, which did not feature Hardcastle, Ferguson, Cooper or Parata, may be a pointer as to who Webster sees as his strongest 17. Or maybe not.

Plastic pitches are not everyone's favourite, but I think Rovers should win comfortably.

Oh! I'd forgotten Ferguson is suspended. So, if none of our four injured players is ready, we'll need one of the youngsters to make up the 21. It was Doyle last time.

1 minute ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Is there any possibility of additional signings before the playoffs?. 

The deadline was August 6th so the answer to that is basically no, but if I have interpreted the rules correctly there is still an allowance to sign players on loan if they are academy age or have a salary cap value of less than £40k. That's why it might conceivably be possible to resume Sutcliffe's loan though that would depend on whether Leeds need him (and it presumes his salary cap value is under 40k).

19 of our 21-man squad have been posted on the RFL website, and assuming Walker and Welham are numbers 20 and 21 alphabetically, it looks like the same squad as last week with the exception of Doyle replacing the suspended Ferguson.

It seems like a long time since our game in London last year, which came just three weeks before the first lockdown. We went into that game on the back of a very poor Cup display against Barrow and I think we were all nervous, with Webster saying after the Barrow game "if we toss that up against London we're going to get flogged"

As it turned out we steamrollered London, and after the game I remember Webster saying something along the lines of "fear is a great motivator".

Expectations will be different this time and although this is a dead rubber and London look like they might have one or two returning from injury looking at their squad, it will be disappointing if we don't win comfortably.

looking at squad the 17 virtually picks itself  apart from who plays in the centres and two hookers or one 😀

Funny thing only six out of this current squad played last time out in london  NO chizzy but one alex sutcliffe🤣

So, who's in tomorrow's 17?

There are 3 wingers in the squad and I think Doyle will miss out unless Blackmore needs a rest with his strapped leg.

There are 3 centres in the squad and Hardcastle looks odd man out at the moment which is harsh. Perhaps he'll get a bench spot to cover second row?

Of the three halfbacks, Holmes looks third choice on current form.

One forward to miss out which recently has been Cooper, bottom of the pecking order, despite impressing me with his workrate and big tackles.

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

There are 3 wingers in the squad and I think Doyle will miss out unless Blackmore needs a rest with his strapped leg.

There are 3 centres in the squad and Hardcastle looks odd man out at the moment which is harsh. Perhaps he'll get a bench spot to cover second row?

One forward to miss out which recently has been Cooper, bottom of the pecking order, despite impressing me with his workrate and big tackles.

Wild guess based solely on photo from captain's run but maybe Hardcastle and Gale reunited as the right centre/wing combo with Welham and Hall on the left? 

12 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

unfortunately for coops Callm F has really stood up to the plate so he misses out unless rotation locky didn't play on widnes pitch but coops did so webbo could chose to do the same

as for hardy it's centre or nowt got more than enough cover for the pack  in what people may consider proper forwards😀

36 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Surely this is a game when we can play a few of the fringe players like Cooper and Doyle?. I'd also rest one of the halfbacks and play Holmes. All that matters now is getting to the playoffs with the first choice players fit and as fresh as possible.

It makes me laugh rest players  to be fresh for the final but don't consider fergie because  he's not playing🤣

3 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Fergie has a 2 match ban doesn't he?.

1 hour ago, Squidward said:

MonkeyM is right on all counts here POR.

your both correct but you are missng the point webbo says fergie not being considered cos missing two game and  not playing for four weeks but ferres has now missed one but will be considered  and if someone misses next week that will be three weeks without a game but that won't count seems to me webbo cutting his nose off to spite his face

Archived