Beach Rugby league?

Hi All, 

With just over 2 weeks to go before our first beach X-league tournament. I have been wondering what the appetite would be for Beach RL and what form and locations. Would people prefer the X-League/touch format or would the appeal of full contact be there?

Looking also to locations Bridlington is probably the best in Yorkshire with it having the largest sandy beach and seafront facilities other locations I have thought of....

Could Tynemouth (Long Sands beach) be an option for the North East, the obvious one for Lancashire is Blackpool. Could Rhyl be an interest for Wales/Merseyside? And would Margate attract teams from London/South East?

Although the full format of the game should be the primary at the moment only Swansea and Bournemouth hold regular beach rugby union events so the market place especially now with "Staycation" being a bit more fashionable is there and there are plenty of locations around the UK that could be used that are ripe for Rugby League and development. After this year's Brid Beach X-League event we are hoping to host each year in Brid however it would be interesting to hear thoughts especially from new clubs or those struggling to get a squad of min of 15 week in week out could the option be a beach tournament for the community game? Or extension of the season for Beach Rugby League 

6 hours ago, BridBeachRL said:

Hi All, 

With just over 2 weeks to go before our first beach X-league tournament. I have been wondering what the appetite would be for Beach RL and what form and locations. Would people prefer the X-League/touch format or would the appeal of full contact be there?

Looking also to locations Bridlington is probably the best in Yorkshire with it having the largest sandy beach and seafront facilities other locations I have thought of....

Could Tynemouth (Long Sands beach) be an option for the North East, the obvious one for Lancashire is Blackpool. Could Rhyl be an interest for Wales/Merseyside? And would Margate attract teams from London/South East?

Although the full format of the game should be the primary at the moment only Swansea and Bournemouth hold regular beach rugby union events so the market place especially now with "Staycation" being a bit more fashionable is there and there are plenty of locations around the UK that could be used that are ripe for Rugby League and development. After this year's Brid Beach X-League event we are hoping to host each year in Brid however it would be interesting to hear thoughts especially from new clubs or those struggling to get a squad of min of 15 week in week out could the option be a beach tournament for the community game? Or extension of the season for Beach Rugby League 

I like the idea of beach rugby league around the country. It could link with the nearest community clubs in the area. South Wales, North Wales, Devon, Brighton, Blackpool, Southport, Whitley Bay/Tynemouth, Bridlington. They all have clubs nearby 

7 hours ago, BridBeachRL said:

Hi All, 

What’s the aim of beach rugby league?

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Community social arm of the RFL if you look at the tournament in a couple of weeks which is in the X-League form there will be over 100 participants of men's and women's teams playing in the tournament. We have engaged the local community of Brid with discounts available for teams from a range of products and in Brid itself with charity partners being Brid Lifeboat and the Mayor of Brid handing out the trophies. To sum up the aim is to show a community family orientated spirit whilst playing a regulated version of Rugby League and spreading the word. 

On 07/09/2021 at 20:11, Spidey said:

Quite big in Europe. 

Union and League .

But hey I guess "up north" the climate don't suit.

Ok maybe you don't enjoy a bit of social fun and it's all got to be serious full blooded 13 aside 😀

8 hours ago, yanto said:

Quite big in Europe. 

Union and League .

But hey I guess "up north" the climate don't suit.

Ok maybe you don't enjoy a bit of social fun and it's all got to be serious full blooded 13 aside 😀

You mean you cant see this being played on the cobbles at Harrington Shore?

7 hours ago, dkw said:

You mean you cant see this being played on the cobbles at Harrington Shore?

Sometimes in the winter when DP was frozen Tommy Bishop used to take us to train on Northside shore with the sea being the touchline. 🙄

Im sure Bishop didn't understand the difference between Workington and Cronulla. 

🤣🤣

On 08/09/2021 at 04:04, JM2010 said:

I like the idea of beach rugby league around the country. It could link with the nearest community clubs in the area. South Wales, North Wales, Devon, Brighton, Blackpool, Southport, Whitley Bay/Tynemouth, Bridlington. They all have clubs nearby 

Pity Margate and Lowestoft don't have community clubs as both towns have very good beaches.

17 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Pity Margate and Lowestoft don't have community clubs as both towns have very good beaches.

I was wondering with Margate if you would get London clubs travelling there for a Beach tournament or if numbers would be too thin. Definitely worth researching 

On 09/09/2021 at 16:14, yanto said:

Sometimes in the winter when DP was frozen Tommy Bishop used to take us to train on Northside shore with the sea being the touchline. 🙄

Im sure Bishop didn't understand the difference between Workington and Cronulla. 

🤣🤣

And I bet very few players had the guts to call him out on it.

Archived