Championship and League One Funding

It’s reported they’ll be on average 50% down, but League One clubs are set for the biggest % reduction. Personally I think the Championship should shoulder most of the cuts, League One clubs only get £75,000 a year as it is. It’s terrible clubs are unaware what they’ll get in 2022, how are they supposed to accurately budget? You can see why London Broncos have gone part time.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-finances-drop-revealed-21507431

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s reported they’ll be on average 50% down, but League One clubs are set for the biggest % reduction. Personally I think the Championship should shoulder most of the cuts, League One clubs only get £75,000 a year as it is. It’s terrible clubs are unaware what they’ll get in 2022, how are they supposed to accurately budget? You can see why London Broncos have gone part time.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-finances-drop-revealed-21507431

Surely by that logic funding should remain the same and SL take the brunt of the reductions?

Championship funding should certainly be made more equal and select clubs should not be getting 4 times the amount of others. Clubs finishing lower down the league have done perfectly fine with 150k funding and this should be the funding across the board.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Surely by that logic funding should remain the same and SL take the brunt of the reductions?

No, some Championship clubs run full time squads with large budgets and players on considerable salaries, that’s not necessary in the 2nd division when the games aren’t even shown on sky. Championship sides can cut their budgets and go part time as London Broncos have done. Super League is our show piece, that’s what sky broadcast every week, it’s Super League that brings in the money.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Championship funding should certainly be made more equal and select clubs should not be getting 4 times the amount of others. Clubs finishing lower down the league have done perfectly fine with 150k funding and this should be the funding across the board.

Absolutely, I can’t remember the exact figure but Championship clubs at the top we’re getting close to £1 million I believe, that’s crazy, it makes no sense and delivers no return on the investment. 

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

No, some Championship clubs run full time squads with large budgets and players on considerable salaries, that’s not necessary in the 2nd division when the games aren’t even shown on sky. Championship sides can cut their budgets and go part time as London Broncos have done. Super League is our show piece, that’s what sky broadcast every week, it’s Super League that brings in the money.

By that logic why give any to the lower leagues then? 😂😂

London being full-time is, to a large extent, a legacy of them being in Super League a couple of years ago.

I'm inclined to the view that there is no point at all in Championship clubs running FT squads, or even 'hybrid squads' for that matter. It makes more sense to ALL be part-time

The idea of FT squads was predicated by the idea - pushed by my own club and Leigh back in 2015 and 2016 - that a FT squad would 'bridge the gap' with Super League and that whichever club was promoted would somehow be ready to step up. That idea is flawed in a number of ways - not least in the reality, as we have seen this year - the promoted club is NOT ready for SL with the FT squad they had in the Championship.

Of course we are then left with the difficult question of how the hell the promoted club can possibly build a FT squad in the small gap between the Championship Grand Final and the start of pre-season training for the following season. It's obviously impossible. Even a 'cashed up' club like Leigh couldn't do it, simply because there weren't the available players to sign.

That pulls us back either to protecting the promoted club from relegation, or going back to some sort of franchise model and 'promoting' a team early enough to help them prepare properly

13 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

The mystery isn't why London are going part time it's why they were full time in the first place with gates of 200.

Full time because the major shareholder had a dream rather than a business plan

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

You say Sir Kev that SL brings in the money. but some of them ie Salford, Hull, Huddersfield and Wigan are tenants at football grounds and have to pay thousands of pounds in rent and gain nothing from the food & drinks stalls. Why should SL get the bulk of the money also when as many as a third of their players are from the Australian NRL because they are surplus to requirements, get homesick , cannot stand the cold and are given inflated salaries given to these SL clubs by sky. Also the directors are only interested in their own teams and to hell with the championship and below. The community teams , league 1 and championship players are being starved of progress by these greedy win at all costs SL clubs. 

Lets take an example__ Leeds have taken Austin(an Aussie) and it looks like an international player Luke Gale is being squeezed out to what benefit to Leeds or SL does this bring. The game as Mr Pearson of Hull has hit the nail on the head the game needs powerful management at Board level , not two sections SL and Rugby league fighting for scraps from Sky who wants the teams to play at anytime or day they decide.

Lets give my team FEv "sweet FA" and lets negotiate our own contract and stuff SL 

33 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I'm inclined to the view that there is no point at all in Championship clubs running FT squads, or even 'hybrid squads' for that matter. It makes more sense to ALL be part-time

Of course we are then left with the difficult question of how the hell the promoted club can possibly build a FT squad in the small gap between the Championship Grand Final and the start of pre-season training for the following season. It's obviously impossible. Even a 'cashed up' club like Leigh couldn't do it, simply because there weren't the available players to sign.

The answer to that was a Lenegan suggestion some time ago that promotion should only be every other year.

Do you think Paul that If Leigh were guaranteed to remain in Superleague for a second year they could have a far more fair chance of staying up with a full off season to build further? 

5 minutes ago, steve oates said:

The answer to that was a Lenegan suggestion some time ago that promotion should only be every other year.

Do you think Paul that If Leigh were guaranteed to remain in Superleague for a second year they could have a far more fair chance of staying up with a full off season to build further? 

Well, they couldn't have had less chance 😉 

I think that, if a club were given that two years, they could spend that first year basically building the foundations, safe in the knowledge that it doesn't really matter if they lose most of their games. There would be no need for any kind of panic buying, or dragging in players from the NRL to desperately try and survive. A good chunk of time in that first year, and a big slice of the money, would actually be creating a squad for Year 2

Would they survive. Who knows? But I think they would at least have a fighting chance, which they manifestly never had this season

Let me turn the question around Steve. I believe you are a Featherstone fan. Would you fancy your chances to stay up at the end of 2023 if you did gain promotion at the end of this season?

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

So we squeeze everyone under the super league because sky broadcast it, what about all the others in the food chain, cut them and super league wouldn't last long, as the clubs die so will support for the game and that will lead to the player pool also going #### up.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

41 minutes ago, Marauder said:

So we squeeze everyone under the super league because sky broadcast it, what about all the others in the food chain, cut them and super league wouldn't last long, as the clubs die so will support for the game and that will lead to the player pool also going #### up.

Absolutely there has to clubs for supporters and pathways for players. 

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

you may be right but I'm guessing that the TV eyeballs are watching SL games, that most sponsorship comes from SL clubs, that the SL players mainly come from SL clubs plus the fanbase of SL is greater than championship, etc etc. I don't know of course but I guess some facts would help me understand if your point is more emotional or facts based.

Of course lower tier needs funding. The balance is what the distribution of monies should be and not least take account of the less Sky money. That is the balance has to not drastically harm SL clubs whilst protecting as much as possible the money going to lower tier. That is if one recognisers that harming SL too much ultimately harms the whole edifice.  Not just the other way around.

The other equation is the less revenue coming from Challenge Cup or other competitions outside SL and of course less revenue from internationals.  Surely that would have been significant reduced too. Its not just SL looking to save by giving less to lower tier.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

But it is Super League that Sky TV consider to be worth less,now,then when  the oft- criticised RFL negotiated the last broadcast deal.

The Super League selected supremo,Elstone,failed to deliver.

Wigan were better to watch in the days of Edwards,Gregory and Hanley.

The Davy, 'Jewels in the crown' that is allegedly Super League has not produced elite athletes to challenge Australia.

Super League has failed after years and years of receiving money,yet they now want to deny even a small percentage of that to other clubs.

Abject failure.I hope the self - interested failures,with ever decreasing attendances,enjoy their Pyrrhic victories as the sport dies.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

My initial post was that League One clubs shouldn’t be facing the biggest cuts in terms of % reduction. 

The fact is Championship and League One clubs have £2m to share around. I’d propose something like £50k x 10 in League One, £100k x 12 in Championship as a baseline figure which would then leave £300k leftover for prize money depending on finishing league position. 

The proposal to give some League One clubs only £20k, down from £75k will see some of those clubs going bust imo. 

21 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Has there been any confirmation that the promoted club will be receiving equal funding to the rest of the SL clubs for 2022? Or is Leigh's shafting the new normal now?

Leigh didn’t earn promotion, hence the reason for them only getting partial funding, which was still significantly more than they’d of got playing in the Championship as they’d of expected.

Knowing the way SL & the RFL operate , decision making has never been their best side. You will probably have to wait a few months yet.

So you would expect some League 1 clubs to go bust , which have been inexistence forever. Shame on you.

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leigh didn’t earn promotion, hence the reason for them only getting partial funding, which was still significantly more than they’d of got playing in the Championship as they’d of expected.

So no confirmation then? Remember Toronto had zero in 2020.

25 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

My initial post was that League One clubs shouldn’t be facing the biggest cuts in terms of % reduction. 

The fact is Championship and League One clubs have £2m to share around. I’d propose something like £50k x 10 in League One, £100k x 12 in Championship as a baseline figure which would then leave £300k leftover for prize money depending on finishing league position. 

The proposal to give some League One clubs only £20k, down from £75k will see some of those clubs going bust imo. 

League 1 will have prize money going forward but it really is a pitiful amount. Clubs who finish outside playoffs (top 6) will get less than £20k. 

Drop off from bottom of the superleage to top of championship is huge. 

Archived