Championship and League One Funding

19 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Really not sure, travel expenses in L1 are high due to the geographical spread. 

I am sure I have seen Skolars saying they travel in excess of 5,000 miles each season.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, DavidM said:

I think I’m in the heartland but I’d need to put a stone on a rocket launcher to get it to the nearest ‘ elite ‘ club . Risking losing  any club is a worry , a big worry and should be totally unacceptable . These clubs with their hardworking staff , their fans and communities are integral to the sport . Any pyramid is only as strong as it’s base .  And most fans have no emotional link or interest in watching someone else . Lose  clubs , lose fans , lose players , lose interest 

London going PT is a blow but at the other end of the country Newcastle going FT is a shot in the arm.

In the heartlands usually one teams pain is anothers gain. I get what you say about loosing fans but in reality it doesnt work like that.

If a young kid likes rugby league in Leeds they will watch the rhinos, they wont bemoan the loss of bramley

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Worst thing the championship did was sell out to sky. Hopefully lesson learned and they can find a new broadcasting partner.

Can't understand Sky not showing so Championship games after buying the rights to show them, some good games this season.

15 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Worst thing the championship did was sell out to sky. Hopefully lesson learned and they can find a new broadcasting partner.

They didn't really 'sell out' though did they? Nobody wanted to pay for them (remember Premier Sports?) so there wasn't really another option.

In fact, Nigel Wood 'bundling' the Champ and L1 in with SL and then leveraging that to get funding for those leagues was a GOOD thing, not the negative that is often portrayed. The option was the kind of mess that is playing out now Super League has been able to grab control.

11 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Can't understand Sky not showing so Championship games after buying the rights to show them, some good games this season.

See above

They didn't 'buy the rights', they had them thrown in - not for Sky's benefit, but for the benefit of the clubs outside Super League

There's been endless chatter in the last year or two about how the Championship would be able to negotiate its own deal once freed from the shackles of SL, but it hasn't happened (unless I've missed the memo)

That said, Sky ARE televising the Play Offs, and we should all be looking forward to that 😉 

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

They didn't really 'sell out' though did they? Nobody wanted to pay for them (remember Premier Sports?) so there wasn't really another option.

In fact, Nigel Wood 'bundling' the Champ and L1 in with SL and then leveraging that to get funding for those leagues was a GOOD thing, not the negative that is often portrayed. The option was the kind of mess that is playing out now Super League has been able to grab control.

See above

They didn't 'buy the rights', they had them thrown in - not for Sky's benefit, but for the benefit of the clubs outside Super League

There's been endless chatter in the last year or two about how the Championship would be able to negotiate its own deal once freed from the shackles of SL, but it hasn't happened (unless I've missed the memo)

That said, Sky ARE televising the Play Offs, and we should all be looking forward to that 😉 

Our league app would be the best option, sell packages for all games, STs and one off games. 

If this mirrored the price of a ticket at each club then it would benefit all clubs whilst ensuring an even distribution of the spoils

The only thing the RFL has done recently. in my opinion is devising the 1895 cup giving part time players and their supporters the chance of wembley. My team going to wembley this year was a fillip for the whole area. There were thousands of schoolkids and many others cheering the team off to wembley, before we set off ourselves. A great experience for the young lads. Winning the pot was a bonus. The game is the best on the planet I just wish the bosses would get a hold of it and give it a needed boost.

7 hours ago, Damien said:

Will they pay for them next year? Just because they are showing them because they can doesn't mean they have a value.

They obviously do have a value as it costs money to televise the games, so if Sky are showing them they are of value to them.

4 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

They obviously do have a value as it costs money to televise the games, so if Sky are showing them they are of value to them.

Its in the current contract that Nigel Wood bundled together. Again how much are Sky paying for the Championship next year now this isn't the case? Why aren't Sky showing them next year? They could pick them up for a pittance if they wanted to. They could probably even get them for free as Premier Sports did. Showing matches for free certainly does not pay the bills. Also as Gubrats often points out showing lower league matches live in fact costs clubs. 

We have had posts on here for years proclaiming that a Championship TV deal is the land of milk and honey and that Championship clubs will not need SL or its funding. Well now that time has come that is reduced to trying to argue semantics about Sky having a few cameras showing its value. That's real bald men fighting over a comb stuff.

7 hours ago, yipyee said:

London going PT is a blow but at the other end of the country Newcastle going FT is a shot in the arm.

In the heartlands usually one teams pain is anothers gain. I get what you say about loosing fans but in reality it doesnt work like that.

If a young kid likes rugby league in Leeds they will watch the rhinos, they wont bemoan the loss of bramley

In my experience the results can be less young kids who like rugby league, in my family at least.

Bramley folded when I was almost 20. Rugby went from being something I went to most weeks with dad and grandad during the season to something I went to live about 6 times a year (after a few years with no interest at all).

Not only has losing Bramley meant 22 years without those three generations of my family as regular RL fans, but my children have never got into the game in the same way - without having 'our club' to support, my lads have only ever had a passing interest.

Looking for entertainment during lockdown last year brought me back to the game to a larger degree, but time will tell whether this has been too late to capture my lads' imagination - that's a difficult thing to do when you don't have a club that you follow. I go to Headingley, Odsal or South Leeds Stadium when a fixture catches my eye, but I'm not invested in the teams playing so have less to inspire my kids to come along.

Of course we want to attract people from families which haven't been attending RL for generations and losing a few heartland clubs shouldn't hinder that too much. But new generations of longer standing RL families should be the easy pickings in terms of new fans and it is these people who are more likely to be lost when our clubs fold.

19 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

But not the regular season and I think next year with no Toulouse or Toronto we´ll be lucky to get the play-off final

I think that would be worth a wager?

So you think that Toulouse creates enough pull over here for Sky to include them in their schedules and they would forsake any other Championship teams  reaching the GF?

You see, this is the mindset of people like yourself Salop and most probably echoed by a good few on this site that Toulouse like Toronto before them are achieving a false position in the popularity stakes, (I don't do social media,but those who do even on these pages advise that the widespread attitude for "off shore" clubs is somewhat different to how these pages portray them) I would say that the main attribute that Toulouse will bring for a lot of supporters this side of the channel is the opportunity for those with enough available readies to make a trip out there, the mere fact that they are in the Championship this season has no influence whatsoever in my opinion that Sky will be screening the final, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Summer Bash return next season.

On 09/09/2021 at 11:17, Toby Chopra said:

I don't think you need unbalanced funding in the Championship to keep P&R. Recent experience shows us that there's no real benefit from funding 3 or 4 clubs to run at hybrid, or skeleton pro level, so that they stand a chance in SL when they go up. They still struggle as the gulf is so large and the structural challenges of assembling a squad remain. 

So let's make the Championship equally part time, and if the winner wants to assemble a full time squad and take up the place, then let's do what we can to help them in other ways. I like the idea of quota and registration flexibility for example. 

A club like Leigh shouldn't be scared of this, in fact I think it would thrive in a much more sustainable manner. The clubs like Leigh with the biggest fan bases would rise to the top due to the spending power of higher gate receipts and better sponsors, without having to be drawn into an arms race with clubs being artificially boosted with extra money. And if they win the Championship, then can decide if they want to step up. 

Has the practice of not having P&R in the past created an unbalanced flow of talent, would it now take 9 or 10 seasons for a balance to level off so a promoted club may stand a chance in SL. 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

16 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Regular season lower tier games should not be available live anyway or anywhere , the focus should be on filling their stadiums 

How - read Barley Mow's statement of how he did help fill a stadium and why he doesn't now.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 09/09/2021 at 14:43, Damien said:

Will they pay for them next year? Just because they are showing them because they can doesn't mean they have a value.

You do talk some utter tosh at times, simply to try to prove your point. They do not have ZERO value, as you stated, or they wouldn't broadcast them - they are not a charity.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 hours ago, yipyee said:

Our league app would be the best option, sell packages for all games, STs and one off games. 

If this mirrored the price of a ticket at each club then it would benefit all clubs whilst ensuring an even distribution of the spoils

Has anyone seen any data for the number of viewers that OuRLeague generated? Without such information we are simply speculating.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You do talk some utter tosh at times, simply to try to prove your point. They do not have ZERO value, as you stated, or they wouldn't broadcast them - they are not a charity.

Value in terms of a broadcast deal to clubs, is that really too difficult to understand? Again how much are they paying for them next year?

17 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Regular season lower tier games should not be available live anyway or anywhere , the focus should be on filling their stadiums 

Following the SL examples?

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

How much are they paying for them next year?

Reverse ferreting again?

You made a statement - it was demonstrably wrong.

Archived