Championship and League One Funding

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sorry you lack comprehension. Again what is the value of the broadcast deal to clubs? How much will clubs get?

I don't lack any comprehension, thanks.

"Sky pay many millions for Super League, that is a fact. Sky aren't interested in showing the Championship and its current value is zero, that is a fact."

You do understand the word "current" I trust.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I don't lack any comprehension, thanks.

"Sky pay many millions for Super League, that is a fact. Sky aren't interested in showing the Championship and its current value is zero, that is a fact."

You do understand the word "current" I trust.

Literally there are threads discussing the new Sky SL TV deal being worth £24 million a year and that the old one was £40 million a year. Every TV deal is described in this manner. That is what Sky pay the sport and that is the value. 

You seem to want a completely new terminology because the Championship can't get anyone to pay to show it. Maybe you should join a Sky forum to discuss the value to Sky.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Literally there are threads discussing the new Sky SL TV deal being worth £24 million a year and that the old one was £40 million a year. Every TV deal is described in this manner. That is what Sky pay the sport and that is the value. 

You seem to want a completely new terminology because the Championship can't get anyone to pay to show it. Maybe you should join a Sky forum to discuss the value to Sky.

Quite an honest question Damien, I have not seen any breakdown of how the Sky contract has been awarded, in how it differs and gets reduced from the last contract or even if there was a portion awarded directly awarded to the Championship, I would be pleased if you could enlighten me.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Quite an honest question Damien, I have not seen any breakdown of how the Sky contract has been awarded, in how it differs and gets reduced from the last contract or even if there was a portion awarded directly awarded to the Championship, I would be pleased if you could enlighten me.

There isn't one, how it's split would be in the whole restructure discussion. It is to show SL only though.

There is actually a lot it doesnt cover like streaming rights and terrestrial coverage that was in the previous deal. That could all be really good for the sport and could bring in additional revenue and coverage. The only real figure I have seen is that the RFL share is reduced from £10 million to £5 million. The rest is up for debate, although the rumoured figures for league 1 mentioned on the Coventry thread disgust me.

Take money from clubs desperate for help so the SL clubs players wages can go up, agents can keep creaming it and the executives can take their cut. SL can shove its game up its ######, the teams voting for this are where they are due to the luck of the draw when SL began and the money has been disproportionate in their favour ever since. The most disgusting and short sighted actions that will see the game implode and lose tens of thousands of fans in one go, with absolutely no idea on how to bring new fans in. 

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

I remember a thread on here where it was stated that Hull FC pay £700,000 rent.That amount would more than fund L1.

Yet some people on here would be happy to lose these clubs because they do not provide any value.

Don't forget also that what was paid to Rob Elstone could have funded L1 for 5 years. Imagine where L1 could be in 5 years time on current funding. Arguably it's the only division where there has been real progress shown over the last 5 years. Yes we've unfortunately already lost some clubs but the standard has gone up year on year and as Newcastle, York, and Whitehaven have have shown its a great breeding ground for clubs to grow and make a real go of it in the championship.

There is absolutely no accountability at the top of the game. The amount of money wasted is astonishing yet L1 is expected to take the biggest hit of all 

6 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Joined this thread late on.

So what I am wanting to know is how much in £s are Championship clubs roughly getting and how much each League 1 club is getting?

League 1 I have seen figures of about £20K suggested,which is a huge drop on the current £75K.

I'm not sure what championship clubs currently get but proposed is in region of £250k at the top down to £40k at the bottom. 

37 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I'm not sure what championship clubs currently get but proposed is in region of £250k at the top down to £40k at the bottom. 

Again that is just ludicrous. It's a continuation of the unequal finding we see now in the Championship and actually makes it far worse.

13 hours ago, dkw said:

Take money from clubs desperate for help so the SL clubs players wages can go up, agents can keep creaming it and the executives can take their cut. SL can shove its game up its ######, the teams voting for this are where they are due to the luck of the draw when SL began and the money has been disproportionate in their favour ever since. The most disgusting and short sighted actions that will see the game implode and lose tens of thousands of fans in one go, with absolutely no idea on how to bring new fans in. 

10s of thousands of fans? If only the game had that many fans outside Superleague to lose. 

Also, no-one's getting richer from this deal, SL wages will continue to fall further behind comparable sports, and with fewer long term guarantees. 

I'm all for reasoned criticism of plans, and I share some of them, but this is just hysteria. 

14 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

10s of thousands of fans? If only the game had that many fans outside Superleague to lose. 

Also, no-one's getting richer from this deal, SL wages will continue to fall further behind comparable sports, and with fewer long term guarantees. 

I'm all for reasoned criticism of plans, and I share some of them, but this is just hysteria. 

If we lose 10 clubs say, which is a real possibility, then we lost 10000 fans immediately.  That's not 10000 match going fans only, that's sky users, the occasional fan who drops in etc. That's a Conservative estimate in my opinion. 

And we may be behind other sports but your deluded if you don't think any money claimed back won't just go on player wages and agents fees.

3 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

I think Championship clubs were getting a minimum(mainly)of about £175K.

I think the higher position they got the more they would get.My team got for 2020 because of their league position for 2019,about £250K, and that was for finishing 9th or 10th.Of course we lost 2020 because of Covid. And my understanding was that for this year they would get the same funding they got in 2020.

Now if what you say is correct then that is extremely savage.

3 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

How on earth is a league supposed to be competitive, and clubs develop and improve themselves, with those at the top receiving six times as much as those at the bottom?

It's an absolute madness.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

How on earth is a league supposed to be competitive, and clubs develop and improve themselves, with those at the top receiving six times as much as those at the bottom?

It's an absolute madness.

When we talk about Super Greed, it is interesting that the most inbalanced distribution* is seen across the Championship/RFL comp. 

*accepting the cases of Toronto and Leigh were black marks for SL funding. 

If I was in charge then for me all the clubs in both divisions should get the same basic minimum funding.

So if say the basic minimum funding in the Championship was say £50K after this savage butchery,right OK every club gets that.

And I think that during the course of the season if the club wins a game,they get a winning funding bonus per game  from the RFL for the sake of argument £10K.

Might make funding a bit fairer.

26 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

If I was in charge then for me all the clubs in both divisions should get the same basic minimum funding.

So if say the basic minimum funding in the Championship was say £50K after this savage butchery,right OK every club gets that.

And I think that during the course of the season if the club wins a game,they get a winning funding bonus per game  from the RFL for the sake of argument £10K.

Might make funding a bit fairer.

PS I say £50K as I am just using that figure as a for example.I would hope it was more.

5 hours ago, dkw said:

If we lose 10 clubs say, which is a real possibility, then we lost 10000 fans immediately.  That's not 10000 match going fans only, that's sky users, the occasional fan who drops in etc. That's a Conservative estimate in my opinion. 

And we may be behind other sports but your deluded if you don't think any money claimed back won't just go on player wages and agents fees.

We're not losing 10 clubs. That's hysteria. 

And no money is being "claimed back" by Superleague. The money's gone already, as Sky are not giving it to us anymore, so there just less of it going to tier 2 and 3 in the first place. 

Are there concerns? Yes. And some parts of the plan don't look right to me. But to be honest my biggest concern is the distribution WITHIN tiers 2/3, rather than the overall pot. That's where the risk lies. 

18 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

We're not losing 10 clubs. That's hysteria. 

And no money is being "claimed back" by Superleague. The money's gone already, as Sky are not giving it to us anymore, so there just less of it going to tier 2 and 3 in the first place. 

Are there concerns? Yes. And some parts of the plan don't look right to me. But to be honest my biggest concern is the distribution WITHIN tiers 2/3, rather than the overall pot. That's where the risk lies. 

I am afraid that one way or another we will lose clubs.The clubs that are not strong enough financially will fold or they will revert to amateur status.

1 minute ago, Robthegasman said:

I am afraid that one way or another we will lose clubs.The clubs that are not strong enough financially will fold or they will revert to amateur status.

I don't think saying 10 teams is even that extreme, currently there's 36 clubs in the structure. The thinking seems to be going to 2 x 12, so there's 12 spare clubs that will likely go with either no funding or a tiny amount, and that will kill them all in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

I don't think saying 10 teams is even that extreme, currently there's 36 clubs in the structure. The thinking seems to be going to 2 x 12, so there's 12 spare clubs that will likely go with either no funding or a tiny amount, and that will kill them all in my opinion. 

I have seen it suggested 2 divisions of 10.

That would be 16 clubs where the future is uncertain.

Archived