Championship and League One Funding

13 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I have seen it suggested 2 divisions of 10.

That would be 16 clubs where the future is uncertain.

I'm not sure who Toby supports but I don't think he understands how hard things are for clubs on the funding they are currently getting, a reduction of this level will kill them off, absolutely guaranteed. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, dkw said:

I'm not sure who Toby supports but I don't think he understands how hard things are for clubs on the funding they are currently getting, a reduction of this level will kill them off, absolutely guaranteed. 

Workington will have had seven home league games this season and away travel costs to just about match anyone. If that is next season how exactly is a club supposed to survive on £25k central funding?

The pyramid has to be in place if the so called elite clubs are to thrive, unless they just want a team full of southern hemisphere players and rebrand it NRL Europe. The community and semi pro clubs are an important cog in the wheel, surely the SL clubs can see this but still choose self preservation. Totally myopic and self righteous but are we surprised? 

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

I notice that SL & RFL are setting up a realignment idea to look at the whole Rugby League set up. But WHY no reps from the Championship & League 1. What we need is an independent set of directors that has sod all to do with Super League to negotiate on behalf of all the clubs, deal with sky and any other TV company to get the best for the whole of the sport. Get some decent sponsorship and , advertise the big games and get some much needed press coverage.  All clubs in each league should have the same amount of cash to spend, and  keep these journeyman Aussies to an absolute minimum. They come over here moan about the weather, get homesick, and plead to break their contracts because they cannot settle. Bring on the kids Welsby , Newman to name just two.

There is some gems in the lower league and the community game

4 hours ago, dkw said:

I don't think saying 10 teams is even that extreme, currently there's 36 clubs in the structure. The thinking seems to be going to 2 x 12, so there's 12 spare clubs that will likely go with either no funding or a tiny amount, and that will kill them all in my opinion. 

Correct because even if it doesn't kill them off straight away , each club that does go makes the league smaller , until at some point it's too small to function properly , then interest in those left will wane 

The problem is most SL clubs are in so much debt because they are reliant on rich owners to make up the shortfall so the only answer is to screw the lower league clubs. I have said long ago that not owning your own facilities was a problem but told I was wrong but now you have clubs with large rents and no way of using the facilities to generate extra income.

Not sure how true it is but Featherstone reckon they earn double the money that Cas and Wakey combined from their commercial side but living in Wakefield I can believe it. All that matters to SL clubs are themselves, however when they have managed to fiddle Toulouse’s promotion to SL apparently they will all be fine because of the huge commercial deals that they will bring along with the massive new TV deals according to some people that pedal their sheite on this forum. 😂😂😂

18 hours ago, gingerjon said:

How on earth is a league supposed to be competitive, and clubs develop and improve themselves, with those at the top receiving six times as much as those at the bottom?

It's an absolute madness.

For perhaps a decade now every change the sport has made has been focussed on the clubs at the bottom of SL and the top of the Championship. This is just a continuation of that, and it's utterly ludicrous.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

17 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

Workington will have had seven home league games this season and away travel costs to just about match anyone. If that is next season how exactly is a club supposed to survive on £25k central funding?

I think (and this is not cross-code) that a look at level three of the RFU pyramid might be instructive... it's actually less steep now because of similarly savage cuts at level 2, but the central finance drop between level 2 and 3 at relegation was £500k per annum down to £25k per annum. Level three is now basically zero central funding because you forfeit the 'travel contributions' which was all that was left of the old central funding if you don't stick within a ludicrous salary cap that means you can't attract any players. So no one sticks to it.

On the other hand, level 3 is 16 teams distributed from the Wirral and Darlington down to Plymouth and Tonbridge. It can be done (thought one of the 16 teams has withdrawn this season) with a lot of goodwill, a lot of volunteers, and the sort of structure where only the DoR (if even them) is full time in the entire club. 

Oh, and each club fundraises like it has never fundraised before.

It's a completely different mindset when the taps are turned off, but it doesn't have to be death. 

Basically you lay off pretty much everyone and have a lot of tombolas, while bringing in youngsters on pay per play. There are teams at level three who charge their first team players the same annual membership as the fans*...

Or you fold. 

However, given this is RL not RU, and the amounts of money sitting around to be raised might be different in some areas, better to just make central funding more equitable across the picture.

*actually I'm pretty sure Richmond do that at level 2

Archived