Toulouse confirmed as Championship League Leaders Shield Winners

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What a fantastic achievement for a French club to have won both the Super League and Championship regular season, has this made news headlines in France or Australia?

you would hope so in France....Oz? doubt it very much...

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What a fantastic achievement for a French club to have won both the Super League and Championship regular season, has this made news headlines in France or Australia?

At a French RL forum they often complain about how the media there largely ignore the code. Hopefully this will make that stance less tenable. As for Sydney, would many know RL that is played in France? 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

The Cats v Saints game and their securing of the LLS was discussed during the Fox/Kayo coverage of the Sundays NRL games, unsurprisingly brought up by Andrew Voss who is generally quite well informed about RL activity across the globe. 

Maloney is also a big factor for coverage down here, his professional retirement and subsequent signing with Lezignan was probably the biggest news of the week as he's very much a RL hero following his perennial success and personality. 

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

At a French RL forum they often complain about how the media there largely ignore the code. Hopefully this will make that stance less tenable. As for Sydney, would many know RL that is played in France? 

Most would know Ray, it`s just that few would be interested.

Get either Catalans or Toulouse down here though as Super League champions for the WCC and I don`t think it would be hard to sell though. Even if purely out of curiosity because they are a `French` club, I`m sure they could get a 15 000+ crowd, possibly 20 at Bankwest, Panthers stadium or at Melbourne`s home ground.

6 hours ago, UTK said:

unsurprisingly brought up by Andrew Voss who is generally quite well informed about RL activity across the globe. 

The loss of Andrew Voss to FTA coverage was a real blow to the game down here in my opinion. 

Despite being a bit goofy he was likeable and non-threatening, appealing to a wider audience than the god-awful blokes club we have now whose coverage mostly consists of hyperbole and the dreaded single entendre. I might add that Sterling and Slater are the exceptions.

Alas the rumours were that Voss didn`t fit in and was forced out, something that I fear is happening to Billy Slater lately who is too insightful, articulate, modest and well-presented by half for the likes of Fittler and co.

Why is the LLS so important this season because Cats have won it ( and congratulations to them it's  there to be won) but in recent seasons its been called the hub cab and that its nothing to brag about, double standards or what ?

8 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Why is the LLS so important this season because Cats have won it ( and congratulations to them it's  there to be won) but in recent seasons its been called the hub cab and that its nothing to brag about, double standards or what ?

It is as important as the club and the fans of the club want to make it. I remember Huddersfield treating it like a big deal when they won it as it was pretty historic for them.

If you've won it a few times then it probably does get less relevant as you know you have to win the GF to be Champions.

11 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is as important as the club and the fans of the club want to make it. I remember Huddersfield treating it like a big deal when they won it as it was pretty historic for them.

If you've won it a few times then it probably does get less relevant as you know you have to win the GF to be Champions.

The LLS is important. Those who moan about it are just being RL fans. 

I found it interesting when I read the other day that something like 7 teams had won the LLS over the last decade. 

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I found it interesting when I read the other day that something like 7 teams had won the LLS over the last decade. 

Now there's a thing. I moan incessantly about the same clubs at/winning the GF and the derision attracted by the LLS, but 7/10 ‽!! That's good, that's actually quite a positive imo.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

40 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Because tbf it did look like a Hub Cap... which it doesn't anymore. Well done Mr Elstone on that.

Its all relative. Huddersfield and Cas hadn't won a top level trophy in decades/ever, and the LLS was their reward for exceptional seasons. 

In 2015 for Leeds winning the LLS is probably the most memorable game of the season, and in context Leeds hadn't been a side with that regular consistency under McDermott for half a decade.

The context for Catalans this year should be obvious!

The fans who denigrate it as the hubcap are usually those who don't win it. The reputation isn't helped by some LLS winning sides not kicking on to winning the either of the Challenge Cup or Grand Final.

The only side to win it and not appreciate it was Saints in 2018, and they got their just desserts.

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Its not important Dave, I literally couldn't care less if my team wins it or not. Its also very derisory to have a dig at people when fans of all sports moan about trophies that aren't important and meaningless, RL fans are certainly no different in that regard.

Under the structure we have the league winners are the team that wins that Grand Final and that is what clubs set out to achieve. Now whether that is right is a different debate. For me the true test of being a league champion is being the most consistent team over the course of the year. Winning the Grand Final is a glorified cup competition that carries the kudos of being league winners.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Its not important Dave, I literally couldn't care less if my team wins it or not. Its also very derisory to have a dig at people when fans of all sports moan about trophies that aren't important and meaningless, RL fans are certainly no different in that regard.

Under the structure we have the league winners are the team that wins that Grand Final and that is what clubs set out to achieve. Now whether that is right is a different debate. For me the true test of being a league champion is being the most consistent team over the course of the year. Winning the Grand Final is a glorified cup competition that carries the kudos of being league winners.

You don't like it, that's fine. Plenty do. 

But it absolutely is an example of misery from RL fans. 

Archived