Toulouse confirmed as Championship League Leaders Shield Winners

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have that guy (I forget his name) who pitches up on here every year at the end of the regular season to congratulate the league winners as champions because he doesn't recognise the play off's and grand final as the 'correct' way to determine the winners.

I wonder if he will do the same this year with double French 'champions'.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 hours ago, Dave T said:

I mean you've claimed this isn't miserable. 

We'll let people decide for themselves. 

If that was the original opinion Dave, it would not have developed into a my turn/your turn tirade with Damien.

The overwhelming attitude of this site is that if anyone has a different opinion they are miserable sod's, thick, don't care about the game etc, etc, and especially so when expansion both nationally and off shore raises it's head, as you yourself has been a victim of in the past.

17 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I've made my views well known on here for many years on the system in that I think its one of the dumbest ideas we've adopted form the NRL.

The League Champions should the team that finished top of the league.

For the majority of the sports history in this country, we have used a play off system to determine the champion team. I'm not sure how we can say we have adopted the NRL idea.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If that was the original opinion Dave, it would not have developed into a my turn/your turn tirade with Damien.

The overwhelming attitude of this site is that if anyone has a different opinion they are miserable sod's, thick, don't care about the game etc, etc, and especially so when expansion both nationally and off shore raises it's head, as you yourself has been a victim of in the past.

I'm perfectly comfortable with my position in that debate. I never claimed I wouldn't comment any more (the other poster did numerous times). 

I outlined my position on why it is miserable to undermine and gripe about one of the two/three domestic trophies available to to clubs depending on what division you are in. 

There was no tirade.

Edit: I should add I agree with your point about calling people thick etc. or caring about the game, but being miserable is a behaviour and a choice. It is one we all demonstrate, so is not offensive. 

I expect calling somebody miserable on here would not get the censure calling someone thick would. 

56 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm perfectly comfortable with my position in that debate. I never claimed I wouldn't comment any more (the other poster did numerous times). 

I outlined my position on why it is miserable to undermine and gripe about one of the two/three domestic trophies available to to clubs depending on what division you are in. 

There was no tirade.

Edit: I should add I agree with your point about calling people thick etc. or caring about the game, but being miserable is a behaviour and a choice. It is one we all demonstrate, so is not offensive. 

I expect calling somebody miserable on here would not get the censure calling someone thick would. 

Actually Dave I said lets leave it at that. You wouldn't though and didn't even have the good grace to do that. Instead you droned on and on, have digs and have now argued and repeated yourself with at least 5 posters. I only then replied to your your lame attempt at trolling to point that out. If you are going to repeat yourself, again, at least get it right.

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

Actually Dave I said lets leave it at that. You wouldn't though and didn't even have the good grace to do that. Instead you droned on and on, have digs and have now argued and repeated yourself with at least 5 posters. I only then replied to your your lame attempt at trolling to point that out. If you are going to repeat yourself, again, at least get it right.

And yet you are still here. I never once said I won't be commenting again. 

If you want to leave it, do so

. It's dead easy. But you won't. Only you seem offended by this discussion. 

It's really not a controversial discussion. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

And yet you are still here. I never once said I won't be commenting again. 

If you want to leave it, do so

. It's dead easy. But you won't. Only you seem offended by this discussion. 

It's really not a controversial discussion. 

What was the need for this? You are better than this childish nonsense.

I never said I will not comment again on this topic, I said I wont reply to you on this topic and I haven't. I have corrected your blatant trolling, digs and lies. It has been quite civilised so far bar you that has picked fights with numerous posters since page 1 because you don't like their opinion.

Now after the discussion moving on, you chose not to and instead dragged it back again and lied to have a cheap dig. You could have easily replied to Harry in a civilised manner but chose not to. All because you couldn't take the opinion of yet another poster. Well done.

Now do you want to continue to spoil the discussion or just act like a grown up. Feel free to PM me if you wish to continue and not spoil the thread for everyone or please just move on. It really is boring and tedious.

On 08/09/2021 at 11:01, Dave T said:

It does count for something. 

It is a trophy for finishing top of the league. That is a fact. 

100% correct.

The League Leaders Shield is awarded to a team that has achieved the stated criteria.  The winners are awarded the Shield and prize money and the players given medals (at least they were, I assume they still are).  Finishing top also offers the best route through the play off's.

It is absolutely fine to have the opinion that the achievement is not significant etc. and certainly the champion team in the country is the one that wins the Grand Final but to say it doesn't count for anything is wide of the mark as that is very much a personal interpretation.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

100% correct.

The League Leaders Shield is awarded to a team that has achieved the stated criteria.  The winners are awarded the Shield and prize money and the players given medals (at least they were, I assume they still are).  Finishing top also offers the best route through the play off's.

It is absolutely fine to have the opinion that the achievement is not significant etc. and certainly the champion team in the country is the one that wins the Grand Final but to say it doesn't count for anything is wide of the mark as that is very much a personal interpretation.

I remember we had around 3 or 4 years with no LLS and fans challenged this. When it was brought in it was quite low-key and I think they have now got to a decent level of prestige with it. 

Some of the drama in recent years like the Hudds v Leeds game, the Saints story, plus the recognition for teams like Cas who smashed the regular season but lost in the final is welcome. And right now the game is rightly talking about 2 French LLS winners, which is huge. 

I don't think we need to undermine these stories by claiming big teams don't try and win it. 

I think this year is different as the fixture list has been Covid affected. No teams' fault. 

So the play offs are even more interesting than usual as we are not certain which team is the best, as most of us won't have seen every side. 

It's interesting for me as my team Batley will be in it. Strangely, our away form is much better so we could do well.  

The super league final could be won by 5 teams maybe? 

I think any trophy won by a team is of great value to its own supporters. Batley winning the Northern Rail cup meant so much to everyone. I am sure Catalans and Toulouse will feel the same, albeit that they know it is not the end of the journey yet. 

Archived