Funding cuts could mean the end for Coventry Bears

55 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

If Coventry fold it will be a backward step for Rugby League.I don't know why they didn't strive years ago to keep a team in  Liverpool.They were often near the bottom of the league but had a Great Britain player Ray Ashby at full back.

Exactly once a club is gone its gone and the pathways that come with it. Joe Batchelor got his first chance at Coventry. Jason Bass at York got his first chance at Coventry and more recently Elliot Hall at Batley who scored a cracker of a try in the playoffs was very clear that he got his chance at Coventry to progress in the game. Who knows in a few years time what other players will get an opportunity at the Bears, Skolars or WWR. These pathways need to be there. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Exactly once a club is gone its gone and the pathways that come with it. Joe Batchelor got his first chance at Coventry. Jason Bass at York got his first chance at Coventry and more recently Elliot Hall at Batley who scored a cracker of a try in the playoffs was very clear that he got his chance at Coventry to progress in the game. Who knows in a few years time what other players will get an opportunity at the Bears, Skolars or WWR. These pathways need to be there. 

If it is going to be 2 x 10 and no funding for any other clubs.Plus only the 20 clubs will presumably be allowed a reserve side,and perhaps an ' elite ' academy,I struggle to see any other pathway(s) other than community clubs in the Conference.

The additional problem would be the compounding problem of no promotion/relegation.

The suicide of the sport is beyond preparatory steps stage...

• Like 4

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

13 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Unbelievably this proposal was put forward by fellow league 1 club Keighley. I've always had a lot of time for the Cougars so very disappointing that they were eager to get rid of their fellow clubs so readily. Very short memories at Cougar Park considering they went out of business 3 years ago and are lucky to be still in league 1 at all. Thankfully not all clubs in league 1 feel the same. 

Plus he has failed to say who these 3 clubs would be playing, if there would be promotion/relegation back to/from 'pro' game or what future prospects, if any, these clubs would have. 

Maybe an incentive for the clubs he wanted to remain in the 'pro' game would be that if they went broke, one of these clubs would replace them the next season? Now remind me of the financial record of certain clubs? 

• Like 1

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

19 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Unbelievably this proposal was put forward by fellow league 1 club Keighley. I've always had a lot of time for the Cougars so very disappointing that they were eager to get rid of their fellow clubs so readily. Very short memories at Cougar Park considering they went out of business 3 years ago and are lucky to be still in league 1 at all. Thankfully not all clubs in league 1 feel the same. 

Glad they lost today. Another year of having to play clubs clearly beneath them ahoy

• Like 3

Unbelievably this proposal was put forward by fellow league 1 club Keighley.

Karma works very quickly on occassion...

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Unbelievably this proposal was put forward by fellow league 1 club Keighley.

Karma works very quickly on occassion...

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

21 hours ago, Jeff Stein said:

And yet according to Forty20 magazine the vice President of the RFL put forward proposals at a recent meeting that Coventry, Skolars and WWR should be thrown out of the professional game (apparently they could play in the Rugby League Conference despite that League not being in existence for the best part of a decade)

If this is true, 99% of me is disgusted & appalled - the sport is desperate to grow & get new fans, but kills off areas that could with the right investment add significant new numbers.

1% of me just thinks if it is true, then f@@k it! - have the balls to tell Coventry/Skolars/WWR so their directors/sponsors can stop throwing away cash, volunteers can stop waisting their time & players will have to play union (a far inferior game - yesterday watched probably the worst game of RU in my life) where they will earn more money at nat 1 level anyway.

😞

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

If this is true, 99% of me is disgusted & appalled - the sport is desperate to grow & get new fans, but kills off areas that could with the right investment add significant new numbers.

1% of me just thinks if it is true, then f@@k it! - have the balls to tell Coventry/Skolars/WWR so their directors/sponsors can stop throwing away cash, volunteers can stop waisting their time & players will have to play union (a far inferior game - yesterday watched probably the worst game of RU in my life) where they will earn more money at nat 1 level anyway.

😞

Agree 100%. However, the proposal was put forward by Keighley and shared with all clubs 😮 pretty sure the owners/directors of Coventry/WWR/Skolars were delighted when they saw it! 

23 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

if this is true? Keighley give Cannibal’s a good name!

Shocking!

and a new low in a sport that seems to self inflict at every opportunity.

So disappointed ... again 😞

Edited by dead man inc
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

They finished four places above Coventry in the league and so decide that they have the right to effectively kill off another professional club(s). And after all their history of the ‘drawbridge’ being pulled up in them for Super League. You couldn’t make it up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Agree 100%. However, the proposal was put forward by Keighley and shared with all clubs 😮 pretty sure the owners/directors of Coventry/WWR/Skolars were delighted when they saw it! 

You seem to be reacting to a reaction from Keighley Cougars.

You haven't made it known what the original proposal was that club was reacting to.

It would seem to me,in blissful ignorance,based on common knowledge only - that Wigan,St Helen's,and Warrington,want to defund League 1 clubs.

It is the RFL who permit,after their wholly inadequate Fit and Proper Person Test, individuals who have caused clubs financial issues.

Rather than have trial,judge and execution of a club,via social media and online, which won't defend itself,other than try to exist in the future,perhaps you could direct your ire in the direction of the RFL,and more significantly towards Lenagan,McManus and Moran.

Where would Keighley Cougars be now if they weren't a victim of history?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

56 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

You haven't made it known what the original proposal was that club was reacting to.

It would seem to me,in blissful ignorance,based on common knowledge only - that Wigan,St Helen's,and Warrington,want to defund League 1 clubs.

It is the RFL who permit,after their wholly inadequate Fit and Proper Person Test, individuals who have caused clubs financial issues.

Rather than have trial,judge and execution of a club,via social media and online, which won't defend itself,other than try to exist in the future,perhaps you could direct your ire in the direction of the RFL,and more significantly towards Lenagan,McManus and Moran.

Agree with everything you say but that also doesn't mean that they have any more right to exist in the pyramid than any other clubs. The fact 3 'expansion' clubs were singled out says it all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

No one forced Keighley to put forward a proposal to expel Coventry, WWR and Skolars. Perhaps they should have shown a bit more solidarity to clubs in the same position as themselves Instead of deciding other clubs could be sacrificed?

• Like 5

15 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Have Cov or Skolars, for example, ever gone bust and owed people and companies money?

I think one of the major achievements of Skolars and I am sure Bears, is that they have remained viable and lived within their means. This has required a lot of hard work and innovation (like Capital Challenge). I do wonder with a bit more resource how much more the club could achieve locally given its links with local businesses, MPs, councillors, colleges and schools but we may never find out.....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

It is possible that West Wales Raiders might be better off becoming an amateur club as the results suggest that even League 1 is out of their reach.

Why write them off? They drew with Doncaster who are in the promotion final.

They have improved a lot from their debut year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1