letting the kids run on to the pitch at full time

getting tie ups - an autograph- a pat on the back for your hero etc

something else the modern  miserable old twisters have managed to extinguish out of the game 

lets get kids interested in the game?  

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Aw fond memories of this at Central Park. As you say it is certainly a way to engage children and adds to the experience. Unfortunately it will never happen in the modern game and simply wouldn't be allowed at clubs that don't own their grounds.

waiting for the hooter like u were one of the kids on "runaround" go go go

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

We can't do that, one of our little darlings might be a terrorist bomber wanting to blow up their heroes..! 😜

and they would have to show 2 negative covid tests 24 hours before patting their favourite player on the back

i had tie ups in envelopes labelled with the match dates and teams- from john holmes to mal meninga -plus autographed programmes galore- that was magic to a 12 year old fan - pure magic

7 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

We can't do that, one of our little darlings might be a terrorist bomber wanting to blow up their heroes..! 😜

You say that in jest, but let's not give the Aussies ideas for more reasons not to come.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

41 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

getting tie ups - an autograph- a pat on the back for your hero etc

something else the modern  miserable old twisters have managed to extinguish out of the game 

lets get kids interested in the game?  

All the Leeds players do a lap of the stadium signing autographs, shirts having selfies with fans for a considerable length of time on the last home game of the season. I can’t see why the fans need to leave the stands to interact with the players. Running onto the pitch is yobbish and completely unnecessary. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

All the Leeds players do a lap of the stadium signing autographs, shirts having selfies with fans for a considerable length of time on the last home game of the season. I can’t see why the fans need to leave the stands to interact with the players. Running onto the pitch is yobbish and completely unnecessary. 

the fun police have arrived to the thread - neenaw neenaw 

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Different times. It certainly wasn't done in a yobbish way when it used to happen.

7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

the sterilised world is dreadful= 12 year olds patting their heroes on the back is yobbish? get an effin grip- sad as.................

24 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch. 

It generates a warmth around the ground that augurs well for mankind.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

. Running onto the pitch is yobbish and completely unnecessary. 

Someone seriously needs to read a topic thread thread properly ....

Thinking of this also reminded me of these trading cards from the early 90s. Just like running onto the pitch and interacting with players things like this really got kids engaged and became talking points at school. I know we are now in the digital age but I'm sure the game could do much more with simple apps etc:

document-20200716-0009 (1).jpg

2 minutes ago, Josef K said:

And that’s what life’s about. 
Trouble is these days you never see a dog on the pitch. 

any jokes about castleford ladies team will be removed by the moderators in line with trl censorship policy - check terms and conditions 

8 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

RL and pretty much every other sport can thank football for this change. Its due to their thugs that government advice was changed (and if memory serves laws updated) to make entering a pitch a criminal offence.

Pretty much this.

And also stuff like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/rugby_league/692098.stm

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

25 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

RL and pretty much every other sport can thank football for this change. Its due to their thugs that government advice was changed (and if memory serves laws updated) to make entering a pitch a criminal offence.

RL was just as bad at times. I remember fans fighting on pitches after games in the late 80s

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

RL was just as bad at times. I remember fans fighting on pitches after games in the late 80s

This can't have happened - although I remember it too - because the nostalgists would like you to know that everything was better back in the day.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived